Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 06:07 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,716 times

Advertisements

Hi to everyone!

I need advice about relocating my 53-year old mom to Colorado.

She is single, works in retail as a sales associate, sweet lady overall

She is looking to buy a home in the 180000 range, preferably with a little yard so that she can grow vegetables. In a safe, clean neighborhood.

Of course, close proximity to Denver would be great, but I don't think she will be able to find anything decent within her price range that would be within a short commute to the city.

We are considering Lakewood vs Littleton vs Fort Collins vs Hampden. We visited Aurora and it was not her cup of tea...
So I'm leaning towards Fort Collins, but would really appreciate locals' advice.

I'm moving to Denver as well, Capitol Hill area. Can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 03:50 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
If your Mom is a sales associate and is not transferring to Colorado with her company, then she probably could work just about anywhere. She doesn't need to be “within a short commute to Denver”, as there are malls and WalMarts and other stores spread out all over the Denver metro area.

You may just wait until she looks around to find work before committing to buying a house in a specific area. Denver and the surrounding suburbs is one big glob of stores, houses, etc. Once your Mom gets here she should find a realtor who can help her find something in her price range. I recommend that you look in Arvada near Old Town. My mother-in-law lives in an older ranch-style house that is in a very safe neighborhood in your Mom's price range.

You should probably post your question about Ft. Collins in the Ft. Collins sub-group.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:27 PM
xcv

22 posts, read 36,233 times
It would be better if she took her time to find a place that fits her lifestyle. Most important does she drive? Have any problems driving? What about social life? Does she want to work? She might try Boulder and see what is truly available as there are rent controlled housing.
I have lived around and found that for the most part liking the area is the best.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:09 PM

3 posts, read 3,300 times
Lakewood for sure. I have had family there for years and it is definitely more friendly for a woman her age/needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado