Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 05:18 PM

108 posts, read 411,291 times

Advertisements

We are narrowing down our summer vacation choices..thinking of Grand Lake for a week. Are there any areas in Grand Lake..condos that are seedy or bad areas? Any accommodation recommendations? (adults,no kids)

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 06:39 PM

11,550 posts, read 52,932,988 times
Grand Lake is a pretty small town, so it's all pretty much the same except for the differences in the individual motel/lodging you select.

Best to google the area, and contact the places directly for their brochures, rates, etc.

There's a pretty wide variety of lodging available ... and in the summer months, it's all high tourist season.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:46 PM

279 posts, read 671,174 times
Default Moving to Grand Lake - Need your advice

I'm moving to Grand Lake and would like to know a little more about the town, what it's like and the people. Is it a friendly place to live? It gives that impression from what I've seen, but would like everyone's advice. Does it have most conveniences for a small town? What about the weather, would you say its consistant year to year?

Old 11-25-2007, 04:17 PM

26,122 posts, read 48,737,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx View Post
I'm moving to Grand Lake and would like to know a little more about the town, what it's like and the people. Is it a friendly place to live? It gives that impression from what I've seen, but would like everyone's advice. Does it have most conveniences for a small town? What about the weather, would you say its consistant year to year?
Spent two days there in 2005. The town is VERY small, and postcard pretty. I recall a main street with a few local businesses, nothing major. Nearest walmart is 35 miles away in Frisco, CO, meaning a trip over Berthoud Pass.

Lotsa data and pix at:
Grand Lake, Colorado (CO) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-25-2007 at 04:25 PM..

Old 11-25-2007, 04:37 PM

Being a small town is not a problem, I actually prefer it and I've researched the area as much as possible. Not having a Walmart is again not a issue, as long as there are a few restaurants, shopping centers, just for your every day needs. I'm probably more interested in what the people are like, is it a friendly place where they would accept a new person into their community?
Also if you get large weather changes from year to year, or if its consistent. I really like the fact its a small town.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:40 PM

2,885 posts, read 7,102,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Spent two days there in 2005. The town is VERY small, and postcard pretty. I recall a main street with a few local businesses, nothing major. Nearest walmart is 35 miles away in Frisco, CO, meaning a trip over Berthoud Pass.

Lotsa data and pix at:
Grand Lake, Colorado (CO) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
As far as I know, Grand Lake to Frisco is about 85 miles, not 35.

Edit to add: Just thought of it; might you be thinking of Fraser, rather than Frisco?

Last edited by suzco; 11-25-2007 at 05:12 PM..

Old 11-25-2007, 06:55 PM

26,122 posts, read 48,737,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
As far as I know, Grand Lake to Frisco is about 85 miles, not 35.

Edit to add: Just thought of it; might you be thinking of Fraser, rather than Frisco?
I thought so, but walmart's website said 35 miles I put in the zip code for Grand Lake to find the nearest store.

That would make Grand Lake even more isolated than I thought. Nearest large supermarket might be Winter Park.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:11 PM

2,885 posts, read 7,102,650 times
If I remember, there's a City Market (King Soopers in the mountain towns are City Markets) in Granby, about 15 miles away; not sure what else is there. There's a Safeway in Fraser, about 30 miles away. Grand Lake is fairly isolated. In winter it's at the end of the road, since Trail Ridge Rd through RMNP is closed.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:29 PM

The isolation isn't a problem. That's what I'm looking for. I'm sure I could still go down the main street and buy bread, milk, meat, just the normal groceries. I would like to know if its a friendly place, the people and just general thing like that. I know the population is about 500 so there are people living there. Would I feel welcome.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:11 AM

I guess no one has had much to do with Grand Lake. I thought someone may have experienced the environment / people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado