Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 01:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Windsor has lots of trees (in the city and along a few draws / creek beds). Often Cottonwood or Maple, but ALL are imported.

It really is a pretty nice community, and gardening is certainly possible, especially if in town or a sheltered area. Farming is irrigated, tho still some dryland on the hills south of Windsor. Most homes have the std nice landscape... lawns and trees and fences. (More fences in Tract home subdivisions, of which there are plenty). I like the older parts of town, and would recommend you rent before buying.

A Weather lover would get a home on a hill overlooking Estes Park,
where weather changes many times a day. Check for some places on Pole Hill. I have friends up there and I LOVE to go watch the weather for a few days!

Windsor weather changes are not so often. IF you get a place that has a view of the front range, you can watch the daily summer storms in the afternoon, Lightning strikes setting fires... View from Loveland will have a better chance of that, or near Johnson's Corner (~ 8 miles South of Windsor, near Berthoud)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 08:00 PM

149 posts, read 474,022 times
thanks so much...my daughter and family are pretty much decided on moving to Windsor (he works in the oil fields) and we would be retiring to the area...my dream is to live where severe weather occurs...am leaning heavily towards the Norman OK area, which is over 700 miles away.....as tough as it is at our ages, we would rent before buying just to see how the area 'fits'..myself and my husband, we want to be in the bulls-eye of severe weather, which leans us towards OK, but my daughter and family have to go where the work is...we so appreciate all the info you have given us...anything else you can think of, such as school systems, shopping, hospitals...would be greatly appreciated...thank you!

Old 02-25-2013, 04:15 PM

what happened to everyone? either you don't like the oil field workers, or retirees! hope to hear more about windsor and shopping, hospitals and medical facilities, and schools...

Old 02-25-2013, 06:05 PM

24 posts, read 45,230 times
I'm looking at the oilfield work myself. Not really looking at North Dakota and Texas is my other option, but I really like the change of seasons and low humidity, so I'm leaning toward Colorado. I'm from a small town in Tennessee and looking for a nice place for my wife and I. I hope you find everything you need in Colorado future texan.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter42 View Post
I'm looking at the oilfield work myself. Not really looking at North Dakota and Texas is my other option, but I really like the change of seasons and low humidity, so I'm leaning toward Colorado. I'm from a small town in Tennessee and looking for a nice place for my wife and I. I hope you find everything you need in Colorado future texan.
consider Sturgis / Spearfish, SD, as I have oil field friends living there. Nice locale / 4 seasons, mtns, no crowds except in AUG..., and they can work WY, ND, MT, SD, CO, and NE. (income Tax free in SD & WY).

Old 02-26-2013, 08:09 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
consider Sturgis / Spearfish, SD, as I have oil field friends living there. Nice locale / 4 seasons, mtns, no crowds except in AUG..., and they can work WY, ND, MT, SD, CO, and NE. (income Tax free in SD & WY).
You might also consider Newcastle, Wyoming and Sundance, Wyoming. Close to a lot of the oil field "action", but much nicer towns. Wyoming, also as noted, does not have a state income tax. Do note, though, that many Wyomingites do not have a particularly fond opionion of Texans, just as many Coloradans don't.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:41 PM

drifter 42, thank you! actually my son in law would be working in the natural gas fields, not oil as I thought...hope you find work soon!

Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 AM

24 posts, read 45,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
You might also consider Newcastle, Wyoming and Sundance, Wyoming. Close to a lot of the oil field "action", but much nicer towns. Wyoming, also as noted, does not have a state income tax. Do note, though, that many Wyomingites do not have a particularly fond opionion of Texans, just as many Coloradans don't.
Im from tennessee, but i guess i would rather go somewhere where i would be welcomed. What did texans do to make ppl from Colorado and Wyoming feel that way?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-27-2013, 02:32 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Im from tennessee, but i guess i would rather go somewhere where i would be welcomed. What did texans do to make ppl from Colorado and Wyoming feel that way?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Trust me, you ARE welcome here, everyone is.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, many Texans visiting Colorado over the years had an often condescending view of Coloradans--mostly an attitude of "rich Texans" treating Coloradans, especially in the rural parts of the state, pretty shabbily. In Wyoming, where I lived for several years, the oil industry was often dominated by Texas companies with Texans in upper management that similarly treated many of their Wyoming employees, suppliers, etc. with a pretty high-handed attitude. That engendered a lot of resentment that persists, especially among many natives and long-time residents of both states, to this day. In many cases in more recent years, Colorado companies have replaced Texas companies as the "bullies" in a lot of Wyoming commerce, such that many Wyomingites now hold Coloradans, especially those from the metro areas, in somewhat low esteem. A dislike of "greenies" (a disparaging name for Coloradans used by some Wyomingites, based on the color of the Colorado license plate) is not uncommon in Wyoming.

Of course, there are nice people from all of those states (I have some very nice relatives from Texas), but there have been enough "bad apples" over the years to engender some dislike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado