Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 06:24 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
And if you're looking for a sex change operation, look no further!
Trinidad, Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Too funny I was taking Sex Ed in college 20 years ago in CA and that was referenced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 06:54 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times
My sister went to Trinidad Junior College for a year and found Trinidad to be very safe, but very boring. She said it was a small town and there wasn't much to do for people her age (she was 19 then). She said that people would go to the Wal-mart to hang out because there wasn't much else to do. You may find competition for jobs with the college there too. It's not a big college, by any means, but then, Trinidad isn't a very large town, so it's all relative.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:35 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,671,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaKne View Post
Yes, it seems that I have probably mixed cities. My bad
Well, we don't know what kind of restaurant it is, but I assume it's something like McDonald's, KFC... We will get the right address and all the details when we sign the job offer. (and that would probably be on Monday) So,right know I'm trying to get all information I can get. I don't have a problem with being bored in the city, or with natures beauty.
We will be staying in a hotel,and the room will cost for a month $400 per person. Maybe, when we come there,we will be looking for some cheaper place to live. Is that possible? is the price overrated?
What is my biggest concern, will we be able to get a second job? We definitely want a second job, so is there many demands for it? We really want to work for three months as much as we can...
Can you tell me little bit more about your experience with that employer and how where students managed, and were they satisfied with the city, pay? Maybe it's the same employer
No it's not the same employer, I worked in a ski town.

I'd recommend if you want a good time to look at work in the ski resorts like Vail, Breckenridge, Aspen and other towns that get summer tourists like Glenwood Springs. All the major ski towns have summer seasons with different summer activities and many of these employers are used to using J-1's.

You might want to check out Vail Resorts to start with.

Trinidad is an isolated, boring town that doesn't get much in the way of tourism.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:39 AM

7 posts, read 18,450 times
We can't choose where to go, because we are going through agency. And this is the job offer that we are offered.
And does anyone know if the accommodation can be cheaper than $400 for month per person?

Old 03-31-2013, 01:25 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,671,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaKne View Post
We can't choose where to go, because we are going through agency. And this is the job offer that we are offered.
Sorry, but that doesn't sound right at all, maybe it's legit, but idea behind a J-1 is to let you work and go where you want in the USA, not to be slave labor forced into a job they know nothing about. It could be a scam or put you in a situation you don't want to be in.

I would recommend dealing with a known legit organization like BUNAC.

What country are you from? If you are from certain countries you do need to arrange a job before arrival, the 37 countries on the Visa waiver list do not.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:47 PM

It is legit. There is 2 types of contract. The first one is independent, and the second one is placement.
In independent contract students are obliged themselves to find jobs, and housing. In placement contract agency is committed to find a job and accommodation. I'm on placement. I applied to 9 fixed place, but so far the only positive reply I received is from Trinidad.
And that's what I meant by not being allowed to choose where to go. We applied for 9 states, and this is our first positive answer.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:49 PM

It is legit. There is 2 types of contract. The first one is independent, and the second one is placement.
In independent contract students are obliged themselves to find jobs, and housing. In placement contract agency is committed to find a job and accommodation. I'm on placement. I applied to 9 fixed place, but so far the only positive reply I received is from Trinidad.
And that's what I meant by not being allowed to choose where to go. We applied for jobs in 9 states, and this is our first positive answer.
We have to have a signed job offer, in order to get J-1 Visa.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:42 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,049,154 times
Just curious. What organization are you going through?

Designated Sponsor List | Participants | J-1 Visa

Old 03-31-2013, 06:19 PM

This is the agency - Work And Travel USA - VIKINGTRAVEL.HR : Work and Travel USA, ?????????? ??????? ? ???, ?????? ? ???, Tax Refund USA
They're working with Aspire World Wide, and Spirit Cultural Exchange.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:28 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,049,154 times
Hmmm. If you haven't paid anything you might want to consider switching to working with one of the official designated sponsors directly. I bet you save some money.

Edit: I just saw that Spirit Cultural Exchange is on the designated list so changed my msg above accordingly.

2nd Edit: It is very cool that your doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado