Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you a native-born Coloradan or a Transplant
Yes, a native, born and raised here. 15 22.06%
No, a transplant from another state. 53 77.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 02:59 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,399,660 times

Advertisements

I meet many more natives than those who come from other areas. I decided when I moved here to be in an area where it was not then the current magnet of the newcomers who where streaming into the state. At that time, new people where going to the south and southeast and north. The older western suburbs of Wheat Ridge, Lakewood and Arvada maintained more long term residents. I picked to live in Arvada to be near more long term residents, whether they were natives or moved here many years previous. I believed I could learn more from the area from them and that these neighborhoods had the stability of time then the areas that attracted the "in and out" movements of newcomers.

I have also benefited by being near long term businesses and small family run shops in nice walkable treed neighborhoods. These neighborhoods are are also better served with public transit because it takes many decades for transit to move out into the newer areas. I have the advantages of being near historic parts of the past and I like the comfort of being in a place where the new merges with the old. In these areas, I could feel the traditions that flowed through time.

Yet, who cares who is a native. I have been here 35 years. I know many who came here when they were young in the other big wave of migration after World War II. Now there are newcomers. I suggest to these newcomers to do as I have done, seek out the areas which are long established to find the stability and comfort that time has brought to older neighborhoods and their residents.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 03-24-2014 at 04:03 PM..

Old 03-24-2014, 05:04 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,357 times
My paternal grand parents we born and raised in Pueblo and my CO family roots go back 100+ years. But grandpa moved away for work after the war so my own parents were born in raised in CA. But my Dad was in the Navy, so we lived in HI, WA, VA, CA and other places while growing up. I moved back to CA as an adult and lived there for a total of about 60% of my life. I have lived in CO for about 15% as of now but I bought my home and started my own family here with no intentions of willingly moving away.

So I ask you, am I a native or a transplant?

I voted 'transplant', but only because there was no 'transplant, but…' button. There are very few things I don't like about living in CO, but one of them is that this is the ONLY place I've ever lived where people even ask where I was born. The other thing is the wind, BTW.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:31 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,103,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I moved here in 1999 mainly because I knew it would be very hard for me to afford a home in San Diego. I have always had family here so moving wasn't hard at all and I was single with no attachments. I knew the climate and the culture. Colorado has always been a good fit for me because of the outdoors and the professional sports. I am a sports junkie. I moved here knowing I had a job lined up. If I didn't have that job I would have stayed in San Diego.

To give you an idea of how many natives I might know I currently have 8 guys in my group at work and only one is a native. Occasionally you will run into a native that dislikes all transplants. That is the only thing I really dislike about moving here but the majority of natives I know are cool.

There is so much to do here. I don't think we will leave unless we win the Power Ball. San Diego is now a vacation destination for us with free lodging thanks to my folks still living there. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlov99 View Post
This poll will be pretty skewed, I think, because most people are probably on the city-data website because of moving!

I have a lot of Colorado-native friends here, and they are wonderful, but I have to say I'm a little put off by all the "native" bumper stickers and the "I'm superior because I'm a native" attitude that some Colorado natives have. If you're not a Native American, then your ancestors migrated here at one point, so get off your high horse!!
Substitute "Colorado" for "Alaska" and you have perfectly described the same situation here.

I'm a Philly native but I lived in Maryland for almost 7 years before moving to Alaska in 2003 and I don't recall anyone ever asking me where I from because no one cares back east.

However, I'm still occasionally asked about whether I was born here or not and I've been here over 11 years and two of my kids were born here.

Xenophobic weirdos.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Substitute "Colorado" for "Alaska" and you have perfectly described the same situation here.

I'm a Philly native but I lived in Maryland for almost 7 years before moving to Alaska in 2003 and I don't recall anyone ever asking me where I from because no one cares back east.

However, I'm still occasionally asked about whether I was born here or not and I've been here over 11 years and two of my kids were born here.

Xenophobic weirdos.
Whenever I hear these bragging native blowhards, I just laugh. They have a lower class mentality with belching on their bar stools about nothing. I grew up in New York; no one ever bothered to care where you were born, as many were born somewhere else with multiplicity of accents and cultures. A native bumper sticker--owwwww, I am so impressed!

What really makes me roll my eyes is those pioneer plates--yea, real tough. The hardest trail they trek is reaching for the pie near their coffee.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 03-24-2014 at 07:37 PM..

Old 03-25-2014, 08:09 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Whenever I hear these bragging native blowhards, I just laugh. They have a lower class mentality with belching on their bar stools about nothing. I grew up in New York; no one ever bothered to care where you were born, as many were born somewhere else with multiplicity of accents and cultures. A native bumper sticker--owwwww, I am so impressed!

What really makes me roll my eyes is those pioneer plates--yea, real tough. The hardest trail they trek is reaching for the pie near their coffee.

Livecontent
I roll with the pioneer license plates. I don't think they make me tough, but I find it interesting that you feel this is the perception people with them are trying to give off.

I got them when they first came out and you had to provide documentation showing that your family had been here over 100 years. Now anyone can get them (although the new ones don't say "Settler's descendant"). I just thought it was kind of cool. I put together the paperwork for my grandmother, whose mother was born in Pueblo in the 1800s, and since I had the paperwork done for her, I sent mine in as well.

Clearly people here care otherwise why would this thread exist?

Old 03-25-2014, 08:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:

Livecontent
I have to say, I agree. Back in my part of Pennsylvania, heck, probably ALL of Pennsylvania, no one cared about this stuff, either. All this "X" generation Coloradan. Most people I grew up with in the 1950s/60s were proud to be second generation AMERICANS! When we first moved to Louisville, people actually used their pedigrees as a qualification for public office.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I roll with the pioneer license plates. I don't think they make me tough, but I find it interesting that you feel this is the perception people with them are trying to give off.

I got them when they first came out and you had to provide documentation showing that your family had been here over 100 years. Now anyone can get them (although the new ones don't say "Settler's descendant"). I just thought it was kind of cool. I put together the paperwork for my grandmother, whose mother was born in Pueblo in the 1800s, and since I had the paperwork done for her, I sent mine in as well.

Clearly people here care otherwise why would this thread exist?
No, I do not have a problem with the historical concept of it. Nor, do I think people have them to look tough. I said that for a little literary license to make a joke about the wording; as my conception of a pioneer is one who went through a great deal of hardship in our push to our manifest destiny.

I do very much enjoy talking to these natives about their ancestors and I do thank them with sharing their history. So, I apologize if I offended those who have use this plate with respect to those who came before.

I brought it up because sometimes that plate is used by those obnoxious residents who push that native garbage too far and thinks it makes them the expert of all that is Colorado and that they should have their special place because of their birth. It just makes them look and sound ridiculous to intelligent people in intelligent conversations.

However, as a frugal individual, I would never pay extra to get any auto license plates, It is just a scheme to get more money. The plates are for identity, in case of problems, and should do all that clearly without all the nonsense which may confuse other law enforcements in other states. It sometimes gets to be too much.

Years ago, doctors would have plates that said MD--well they realized that was a big mistake when they found themselves being in many lawsuits--saying I am "Wealthy". Are we then going to extend the plates now to "Gay and Proud" "Married Gay" "Gay Father" "Lesbian" or "Christian" or "Atheist Pride" and all other nonsense that people have a need to display to the world. Just because I am a veteran, I have no need to tell everyone, everywhere and all the time in all conversations--as some think they need to do.

Maybe a better realistic plate should be "unlicensed" "uninsured" "drunk" "drugged" "insane" "armed"

Perhaps I should have a plate saying "Anonymous Pride" but then I will pay for something that means nothing.

I like my plate numbers that cannot be remembered as XDW982 vs. ITISME. I do not want to be remembered by a passing motorist--I want to be forgotten.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 03-25-2014 at 10:00 AM..

Old 03-25-2014, 09:01 AM

356 posts, read 624,053 times
Quote:

Livecontent
It's amazing how you consider natives some fat slobs who can barely wake they're sorry bu**s up to feed their fat faces.

I've seen you place COUNTLESS times in these threads that you're from NY... like anyone GIVES A SH**t about that. It's people like you that drives us NATIVES crazy with your I'm a native NYer so I'm so enlightened and cultured BS.... give me a break.... I'm done reading your pretntious drivel.

But you shouldn't care because, as you stated, I'm just some low class belching idiot...

Old 03-25-2014, 09:05 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,108 times
Quote:
No, I do not have a problem with the historical concept of it. Nor, do I think people have them to look tough. I said that for a little literary license to make a joke about the wording; as my conception of a pioneer is one who went through a great deal of hardship in our push to our manifest destiny.

Sometimes that plalte is used by those obnoxious residents who push that native garbage too far and thinks it makes them the expert of all that is Colorado and that they should have their special place because of their birth. It just makes them look and sound ridiculous to intelligent people in intelligent conversations.

However, as a frugal individual, I would never pay extra to get any auto license plates, It is just a scheme to get more money. The plates are for identity in case of problems and should do all that clearly without all the nonsense which may confuse other law enforcements in other states. It sometimes gets to be too much.

Years ago, doctors would have plates that said MD--well they realized that was a big mistake when they found themselves being in many lawsuits--saying I am "Wealthy". Are we then going to extend the plates now to "Gay and Proud" "Married Gay" "Gay Father" "Lesbian" or "Jesus is God" or "Atheist Pride" and all other nonsense that people have a need to display to the world.
Just because I am a veteran, I have no need to tell everyone, everywhere as some think they need to do.

I like my plate numbers that cannot be remembered as XDW982 vs. ITISME. I do not want to be remembered by a passing motorist--I want to be forgotten.

Livecontent

Old 03-25-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCO5280 View Post
It's amazing how you consider natives some fat slobs who can barely wake they're sorry bu**s up to feed their fat faces.

I've seen you place COUNTLESS times in these threads that you're from NY... like anyone GIVES A SH**t about that. It's people like you that drives us NATIVES crazy with your I'm a native NYer so I'm so enlightened and cultured BS.... give me a break.... I'm done reading your pretntious drivel.

But you shouldn't care because, as you stated, I'm just some low class belching idiot...
I use that New Yawk moniker to make fun of myself and the situations and to to give humor to my posts. If you read many of my post, I have said, I am a fat New Yawker...a knowitall New Yorker...a loud pushy New Yorker. I use your perceptions (sometimes rightly so) of those from that city to give some color and fun to my posts. Some of my references are subtle and those with perceptive intelligence can readily see the humor.

I look and tawk what I am. People can readily identity me when I they meet me. So, they do not have to think of me as a bragging pushy New Yorker (and there are many of those), I make fun of myself and my accent. That puts the people I meet at ease and we have a good laugh.

It is not to say that I am something special because I am from New York or born in NYC because I am not. That is not what these native this and native that in this state are saying--they are saying I am more important and I know more because I was born here--all ridiculous nonsense.

If you also read my many post, you will note that I go out of my way to seek out that which makes Colorado special and what makes it special to me. I in no way portray myself as being better or more cultured (yea, that is a big laugh) as someone who grew up in the Great West.

I have said, I go to the Great Plains to find those who are genuinely from the Great West; I have said that I moved to Arvada to find those natives and long term residents to learn from experiences. I do seek out natives to seek out traditions and history. Most natives, by far, are friendly and welcoming and do not use that native label to intimidate others--I am against those fewer who do.

I have lived here longer than NY and when I am faced with a bragging New Yorker who thinks he knows it all--you should see me in action; I am in their face and put them in their place...and I can do it very well with a language and an accent that blows their ego away.

So, sit yourself back on your bar stool...belch contently and relax...and you are lucky because I cannot get my fat New York breed butt on that stool...when I walk into a bar...the stools all cry with fear..."do not sit on me."

eh, ya knowatta mean,

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 03-25-2014 at 10:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado