Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 01:33 PM

3 posts, read 9,637 times

Advertisements

I am looking for suggestions for a location in Colorado where I can find a place to rent for a summer vacation. We are a 3 generation famiily with 2 grandparents, 2 kids and spouses and 2 grandkids aged 2 and 6.

Want a place on a lake which has lake (not pool) swimming suitable for the grandkids, outdoor activities, boating. We are not into fishing.

We have already done Maine, Door County, Cape Cod, and Oregon and are looking for a place which is closer to my daughter who lives in Denver.

DON
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 02:24 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Unless you go to one of Colorado's lower altitude lakes or reservoirs, most are too cold for swimming, even in the height of summer. Some of the reservoirs can be OK, but they are not built for recreation--they are built for municipal and agricultural water storage. They can be plumb full in June, and 3/4's empty by September--depending on melting snowpack, streamflows, and water demand. It ain't Minnesota.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:21 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsc View Post
I am looking for suggestions for a location in Colorado where I can find a place to rent for a summer vacation. We are a 3 generation famiily with 2 grandparents, 2 kids and spouses and 2 grandkids aged 2 and 6.

Want a place on a lake which has lake (not pool) swimming suitable for the grandkids, outdoor activities, boating. We are not into fishing.

We have already done Maine, Door County, Cape Cod, and Oregon and are looking for a place which is closer to my daughter who lives in Denver.

DON
There really aren't a lot of lakes in CO, but there is an old thread in the CO forum about the lakes we do have, with lots of info. Use the Search tool with keywords like lake or fishing to find the discussions of our bodies of water.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:02 PM

179 posts, read 621,441 times
Why not check out Vallecito Lake or McPhee Res. There's Navajo Reservoir, but I don't think there are any cabins on that lake... I may be wrong though. Then there's Electra Lake if you're willing to shell out a lot of cash for a cabin there. These are all near Durango, CO.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
There is also Carter Lake and Horsetooth Res. near Loveland/Ft. Collins. The water in these resevoirs is cold even in summer.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:43 PM

3 posts, read 9,637 times
Quote:

DON
Someone I know suggested Lake Dillon. Is that a viable idea?

DON

Old 12-30-2007, 04:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:

DON
Not for swimming. Boating, yes.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:40 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
DON
No. Swimming is prohibited. http://www.denverwater.org/recreation/dillon.html

Quote:
Dillon Reservoir is the largest water storage facility in the Denver Water system. . . Note: Water contact sports such as swimming, water skiing, wading, and scuba diving are prohibited.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:05 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
No swimming--the reservoir (that's what it is) is located at over 9,000 feet elevation--the water temperature probably doesn't get above the 50's, and there is no guarantee that it will be full. If Denver needs the water, it gets drawn down.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,694 times
Default Vallecito area

rented a cabin near Vallecito Lake in August. Beautiful area. Only rented for a few nights but likely some monthly/ summer rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado