Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 08:23 PM

46 posts, read 140,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Northern California has a lot too.
Heck, you see them up to Vancouver on the west coast and around Virginia Beach on the east coast. I've seen them all over in St George, Utah and sporadically throughout Dallas and Albuquerque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 11:02 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,933,478 times
^

You know what? You're right already. Colorado is known for the many varieties and great numbers of palm trees that can be found growing happily at elevations of up to 13,000 ft. In fact, the palms are doing so well here that they've started to out-number the native trees like the aspen and blue spruce which are retreating before the on-slaught of palms. In light of this palm bonanza, a bill will be introduced in the next session of the Colorado Legislature making the palm the new state tree and it is expected to be passed by a wide margin. Govenor Hickenlooper is planning to hold a gala fund raising event for the introduction of 6 new palm species heretofore found only on atolls in the South Pacific when he signs the new bill into law. The Denver Tourism Center predicts that thousands of visitors will converge upon Denver to witness this event and local motesl and hotels report that they are booking up fast. The festivities will be held in January - the month palms here love the most.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:16 PM

46 posts, read 140,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
^

You know what? You're right already. Colorado is known for the many varieties and great numbers of palm trees that can be found growing happily at elevations of up to 13,000 ft. In fact, the palms are doing so well here that they've started to out-number the native trees like the aspen and blue spruce which are retreating before the on-slaught of palms. In light of this palm bonanza, a bill will be introduced in the next session of the Colorado Legislature making the palm the new state tree and it is expected to be passed by a wide margin. Govenor Hickenlooper is planning to hold a gala fund raising event for the introduction of 6 new palm species heretofore found only on atolls in the South Pacific when he signs the new bill into law. The Denver Tourism Center predicts that thousands of visitors will converge upon Denver to witness this event and local motesl and hotels report that they are booking up fast. The festivities will be held in January - the month palms here love the most.
Hickenlooper would do that

Old 12-10-2014, 07:41 AM

50,253 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Palm trees are over rated. I'll take a Pine any day.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:07 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,466,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Palm trees are over rated. I'll take a Pine any day.
And, if they want both, they can move to numerous places in California--NOT COLORADO!

Old 08-13-2015, 04:06 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,455,268 times
I have always wanted a palm tree and finally found two that are guaranteed to grow in Pueblo. So I bought 4 (2 of each) and will plant them this month and see how they do. If they survive the winter next summer I will buy a few more.

I will post pictures when they are planted and keep a update on how they do.

The Pindo Palm Tree

The Windmill Palm Tree

Old 08-14-2015, 01:45 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I have always wanted a palm tree and finally found two that are guaranteed to grow in Pueblo. So I bought 4 (2 of each) and will plant them this month and see how they do. If they survive the winter next summer I will buy a few more.

I will post pictures when they are planted and keep a update on how they do.

The Pindo Palm Tree

The Windmill Palm Tree
Those will barely grow in Albuquerque, let alone Pueblo. Unless you wrap them in very heavy insulation for 5 months... Yes, they're unusually hardy palms, but they can't take the kind of cold even Pueblo gets.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Those will barely grow in Albuquerque, let alone Pueblo. Unless you wrap them in very heavy insulation for 5 months... Yes, they're unusually hardy palms, but they can't take the kind of cold even Pueblo gets.
The company guarantees them in the Pueblo climate so I had to try. If they survive then next spring I will buy at least 8 more for my yard. If they die I get my money back and now I know cus if I never try I will not know.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:31 AM

59 posts, read 100,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The company guarantees them in the Pueblo climate so I had to try. If they survive then next spring I will buy at least 8 more for my yard. If they die I get my money back and now I know cus if I never try I will not know.
Good luck with this! Hope you get a chance to keep us posted throughout the year on them.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymtime101 View Post
Good luck with this! Hope you get a chance to keep us posted throughout the year on them.
Thanks and I will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado