Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2014, 08:08 AM

50 posts, read 79,779 times

Advertisements

What's Hotchkiss like? I've done some research on relocating to Colorado and Hotchkiss is a small town in a temperate climate, relative to other parts of the state. It's not terribly far from Grand Junction but beyond that, I have no idea. Until I travel to the state and have a look around for myself, it's all theoretical but anyone have experience with living there? How is it for biking, are there trails nearby? I'm guessing it's a bit remote so Wi-Fi choices are limited and Trader Joe's is a long drive but the town has a lot of appeal for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 09:35 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Small quiet town. Honestly you'll be considered just another outsider by locals. If you're wanting to move based on Trader Joe's you're going to be disappointed in Colorado. I would visit first especially in the middle of February.

Chamber of Commerce of Hotchkiss Colorado

Town of Hotchkiss, Colorado | Friendliest Town Around

Old 12-24-2014, 11:27 PM

481 posts, read 1,300,805 times
Hotchkiss is a cute little town. I'm from the North Fork Valley, grew up on a cattle ranch on Cottonwood Mesa between Hotchkiss and Crawford. I went to school in Hotchkiss. As jim9251 said, you will always be an outsider in that area unless you're from there.

Maybe things have changed in the last 15 years but from what I know about the North Fork is that unless you were born there, you don't belong there. My father is a Paonia native but he married an east coast gal. Dad was always welcome but mom was always an outsider, even though she lived in the area for 30-plus years.

That area is very insular. That translates to most people as backward. You're from there or you're not. Just having a New Jersey mother never made me entirely "of" the North Fork Valley and I even have family with the last name of Hotchkiss.

If you move there be prepared to be an outsider. If you're okay with that, meet the many other outsiders and ignore the local mentality. There are some really nice people in the Hotchkiss area but they don't tend to be the natives of the area.

On the flip side, there are a lot of new people moving into the area. The organic farming and winery side of the North Fork agricultural scene have brought in some improvements to the area. The coal mining side of the economy in the Paonia, Bowie and Somerset area have also brought in new people with new ideas. Also High Country News www.hcn.org has brought a new line of thinking to the North Fork. But a lot of that tends to be Paonia thinking, not so much Hotchkiss.

It's a small, independent newspaper published monthly but for a little more information on Hotchkiss and the North Fork look at www.merchantherald.com

For some more information on the area look at Home of the High Country Shopper | Paonia, Colorado 81428 and Welcome to the Delta County Independent

Last edited by Littlekw; 12-25-2014 at 12:40 AM..

Old 12-27-2014, 01:08 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
You forgot to mention the problem with all the homeless people from Grand Junction who are being given one-way bus tickets to Hotchkiss. It's no wonder folks tend to stick to themselves!

Old 12-29-2014, 11:41 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Small quiet town. Honestly you'll be considered just another outsider by locals. If you're wanting to move based on Trader Joe's you're going to be disappointed in Colorado. I would visit first especially in the middle of February.

Chamber of Commerce of Hotchkiss Colorado

Town of Hotchkiss, Colorado | Friendliest Town Around
Jim nailed it. He is one of our resident experts on the West Slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado