Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 01:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Demon View Post
One should also mention the limitations on building alternative type homes like earthships/rammed earth/etc. These are great approaches but sometimes VERY hard sells for the County building guy....just depends where you are, really....and if anyone else has proposed/been granted the AOK to proceed with such construction previously. Either way...you will need a good engineer/etc.

And if you aren't DIY...it's gonna eclipse $200 a sq very quickly because it is ALL custom work with an "alternative" price tag added on.....
on that subject... are there more 'tolerant' counties of Colorado for building code / inspections / engineering?
Counties with Few or No Building Codes
Green Home Building: Codes for Alternative Building
(I have been gone for many yrs, and my existing commercial stuff s in an 'intense' county (Larimer).

PNW eco builders have fled to MT for code friendly. I have my TX locations that are code free (Where I will build my Rammed Earth). Since I am a Mech Engineer, that service is 'free' for me .... I prefer to be safe / so my Rammed Earth will be 100% galvanized steel column support / free standing and I will form the walls around the structure. (no steel showing in the end product). I'm not a 'purist' but home will be 'code' in spite of not needing code.

In 'code restrictive locales' I stick with Rastra or Apex. That makes a very nice home.

The problem with a retrofit is 'whole house' comfort. Your Retrofit area will be nice and cozy, but your other living space will be compromised. (as well as overall efficiency).

8 yrs ago... I gleaned a lot of good info from this Yahoo alternate building group (It is pretty inactive at the moment)
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...hitecture/info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 02:19 PM

242 posts, read 413,415 times
As an engineer....you certainly have more knowledge on the topic than I do.

We originally wanted to do a rammed earth/tires/earthship type home but after building a log home and doing a series of remodels/flips over the last 2 decades and ending up with 3 properties in tow...I'm kinda burnt out on the whole "build it from scratch" gig and am looking forward to just doing some painting/the small stuff/etc. ;-)

I hope the OP can figure something out....and I hope you get to build yer place in Tejas soon. Always interesting to see/hear what others have in mind to do.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Demon View Post
We originally wanted to do a rammed earth/tires/earthship type home but after building a log home and doing a series of remodels/flips over the last 2 decades and ending up with 3 properties in tow...I'm kinda burnt out on the whole "build it from scratch" gig and am looking forward to just doing some painting/the small stuff/etc. ;-)

We bought 4 places (6 rural homes) in Hill Country, TX during last Dec. (4) are 'fixers' so we will be ready to get back to a 'build from scratch' after this winter's projects....

One was an unfinished home that has killed 2 couples already (they died before it was done). That is a risk with 'dream homes'. I hope we endure, should only take 4 months PT effort, but doing it from 2800 miles away is an added cost / risk. (But I am a LOT closer than I was last yr (Working in Thailand).)

Since I got 'outsourced' 8 yrs ago, only 6 wks before retirement eligibility, we gotta do some things that add income / wealth...(32 yrs service with HP / No pension / No HC...).

Houses are VERY ez way to do that, but come with risk. We only buy 'view / rural stuff' with at least 2 living qtrs each place + RV sites, so they should be good income and EZ to sell and carry the contract (as we age). We can live in each for free (as stated in rental agreements). I keep a <$500 / 50 mpg car at each location and fly between the locations. (I concentrate on tax free states with decent climate and attractive to active seniors. Must be <1hr to international airport for Medi-vacations. ACA is not gonna fly / last, and is terribly expensive / risky for rural dwellers.

LTP... build a rural senior housing co-op with passive cottages and ag potential (commercial / sustainable food for village (+barns and shops and community building). Have a place started in PNW (WA) and one in TX. Just completed my international Co-op development certs, and studied a lot of housing arrangements, (many in Colorado). I will go live in Denmark (40% in community / co-op housing) before I finalize the management plans. USA is a tough nut to crack for communal living. TX will be extra tough, but there is a very successful Senior housing co-op there (for many yrs).

BTW, aside from Rastra and Apex, I also am considering Panels for cottages (metal with EPS).

Old 02-04-2015, 08:59 PM

242 posts, read 413,415 times
Sounds like a plan. The LTP sounds very interesting/rewarding. Kinda like a new millennia version of the communes of the 60's but with funding. LOL.

Don't wanna clog the OP's thread with my own chatter... hope he figures something out. Sounds like he should be talking to you...

Old 02-05-2015, 12:50 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,814,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRecruiter View Post
I am wondering how effective a thermal mass we can create by using simple changes like tile floor and a greenhouse addition with concrete floor and if it is a feasible plan to circulate this air into the house. Of course, the first thing would be to upgrade insulation and windows. Relying on the foundation for heat storage would probably not be possible as that is not something that can be changed.

When you say you did $50/sqft DIY, that is a brand new home?
Tile floors in combination with clear story window and a series of skylights, reflective white walls ,apex insulation ,ceiling fan certainly aid in creating more thermal mass. I am enjoying my second winter crop of Naval oranges from my outdoor greenhouse heated mainly by solar and using a thermal trough
My greenhouse feels like Costa Rica even when temps are below zero by properly utilizing reflective techniques/ insulation and air movement. John Kurowski in the Denver area has been utilizing some the most innovative concepts in solar building since the late 70 ' some of his built green info on his various portfolio sites may be of help. There is always of course the old tire/Dennis Weaver method( lol.) Anything coming in under 200 seems pretty reasonable IMO for a proper new build or even plausable, custom retro fit..Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado