Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 12:35 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times

Advertisements

I think if people move from a higher COL area, of course Colorado will look OK or like a deal. From a lower, I suppose it's unpleasant, if not a shock. Doing your homework before moving might still not give you the *feel* of a higher cost of living, even if you expect it. Now, if you're really daydreaming, I imagine you might not pay attention to that information when planning.

I could easily move to my favorite mountain view in Colorado in retirement but I am quite clear that it's not a good place to become older/old- driving, amenities, medical access. I still look at real estate there but have a sort of automatic "stop" mental brake on any ideas to move. If I were younger, well, I wouldn't be retiring and would face the whole work situation (or lack thereof).

I'm too practical for later-life daydreams, having indulged them when younger and banged right into a wall of reality. In my case, it was Santa Fe, jobs and social difficulties trumping scenery and champagne air. 'sigh'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 01:06 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,004,625 times
We moved from a "cheaper area", so yeah, a shock. But we did our research and planning and forecasting and all that. No stone was left unturned. It was all very realistic. But the job situation and growing real estate market have changed much since we moved, and the area is different from the starting point. I might have stated "cost of living", but it's the other issues that have been the most significant. Anyway, I don't think I can fully convey the details on this forum, so this is my best try. Good luck to everyone.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:13 PM

19 posts, read 24,472 times
Thank you for your advice! We've done a ton of research on cost of living in both areas, from what we see it's pretty comparable to West MI on alot of things aside from real estate prices. Definitely more bang for our buck in MI. I'm not overly concerned with job market, pretty established at my company, if a transfer doesn't work out we won't move. I can't risk the security for my family. Are there any other major concerns I should consider in regards to overall quality of life between the two?

Old 05-28-2015, 01:57 PM

402 posts, read 369,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
But the job situation and growing real estate market have changed much since we moved, and the area is different from the starting point. I might have stated "cost of living", but it's the other issues that have been the most significant. Anyway, I don't think I can fully convey the details on this forum, so this is my best try.
Do you mind sharing what career field you are in?

Old 05-28-2015, 06:51 PM

Thank you for your input- in all honesty, that's my biggest fear. I'm concerned we will fall in love with living in Colorado, but not get to really enjoy it because of a tight financial situation. I've tried to do as much research around cost of living as possible, aside from affordable housing I didn't find any huge differences. I have the good fortune of being able to transfer with my company (on my dime)- but if something happened with my job I am scared to death of no family in the area and a tough job market. What's everyone's thoughts?

Old 05-28-2015, 06:53 PM

Rumline- I work in the financial services industry, specifically consumer banking.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:45 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,004,625 times
[quote=7mstrom;39799977] ...if something happened with my job I am scared to death of no family in the area and a tough job market... quote]

That's another factor that we've found difficult; being away from family. It wasn't too bad/noticeable for the first couple of years, but after about 3 years, it started hitting us hard. And as I think you alluded to, it's nice/great/smart to have family to fall back on in case of any kind of emergency, including any of a financial nature. We've made some friends since relocating, but we still don't feel any kind of strong connection with others like we had where we used to live. It feels essentially the same as when we had just moved. Almost everyone else has family around in the area, and that makes a huge difference, in my opinion.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:44 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,098,150 times
Er..negative...and I am returning to the Chicago area this summer. Denver and the Front Range are overrated (and by that I mean it hasn't met my expectations)...Colorado away from the Front Range is pretty cool and I'll definitely be back on vacation. If knew what I know now, Denver wouldn't have been an option. I would have moved to the Pacific Northwest or stayed in Chicagoland and traveled, but the weather, low employment rate, and hiking made it too good to pass up. I have to give them props for great marketing.

I knew Denver wasn't going to be a fast paced cosmopolitan city like Chicago. That was fine because of the high quantity and close proximity of hiking to the metro area. The problem is that I can sum up 80-90% of the hikes in the Front Range...hike up hills/mountains to view the same mountain(s), one of the 14ers (Mount Evans and or Longs Peak) and their neighbors, from a different angle. If you're adventurous, you'll be bored with the Front Range after a few hikes. If you like to escape to the peace and quiet of nature to relax you’ll get annoyed by all of the people and their talking. It will take a road trip and more than likely 4 wheel drive to get adventure and peace and quiet. If one or both don't really matter, then just go ahead and ignore this.

There is rock climbing, fishing, and hunting, but you can do that in the Midwest (Devils Lake in WI and the Red Gorge in KY have some incredible climbing). Skiing and snowboarding, but for me that is meh...maybe you love it, if so cool. There are snow climbs, but no technical mountaineering like the Pacific Northwest and northern Rockies...not sure if that is an interest, but just throwing it out there. There is not much in terms of water recreation, but that is a given. Personally, I took the Great Lakes for granted and quickly missed them once I got out here. There is nothing out here that compares to the Great Lakes during a fall storm or the northern lights, when they do appear and there is time to road trip it up there, in the UP.

The weather as a whole isn't that great. Yeah the winters are pretty mild by Midwest standards, but the nights still get cold. Once the Gulf Stream takes over and spring starts in the Midwest, expect snow in Denver. You'd be trading a sauna for a dehydrator in terms of the humidity-aridity difference. All things considered it is a push. I might actually give a little bump to the Midwest because there is a lot more greenery because of the humidity. I hope you like brown because that is what you're going to see for most of the year.

Employment wise, I wouldn't move out here without a job lined up, especially in this economy. With the number of qualified people that move here, competition is fierce. The only industry were you would probably be fine would be technology/computers. The salaries look good at an absolute value, but relative to the housing they are low. Your dollar doesn't go that far out here.

If you want to leave Michigan just go all the way to the West Coast. There is better weather, more to do...mountain activities, the ocean/beach, more international cosmopolitan cities (i.e. should be a lot more banking jobs and cultural things), and you aren't as isolated (this really wasn’t an issue for me, but it might be for some…Seattle and PDX have each other plus Vancouver BC, LA and San Diego have each other, and the Bay Area has San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose...Denver has...). Yeah the West Coast is more expensive, but it is worth it when you compare.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:36 PM

325 posts, read 372,096 times
We moved from the Holland area (west of Grand Rapids) one year ago. We were Southwest transplants (I grew up in Texas, my husband in Los Angeles) who lived there for four years. I had a difficult time adjusting to the winters. Let's just say I never did, and two months into my first winter I told my husband he better get me out of there. It took four years.

Why We Love Denver
* Climate
* Sunshine
* Access to city amenities
* Access to mountains and nature
* More family activities
* More things to do
* Closer to family

What I miss About Michigan
* Small town familiarity
* Farmer's Market
* Affordable housing market

We love living here in the Denver area, but the housing market is tight. We're sitting on the sidelines right now, which is tough for a family of four. We don't want to buy when houses are obtaining multiple bids and people are writing love letters to sellers. All in all, though, we love it here and hopefully we are here to stay.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:41 PM

Thank you so much for your advice, both of your posts hit home for us (ha, no pun intended) because one of the areas we have seriously considered is the Chicago area and right now we are living in the Holland area. Just this weekend, we spent the majority of the day on Lake MI and I couldn't help but think how homesick we may get. But the winters, yes Ironlady I'm over them too! My whole life full of never-ending, freezing, sun-less winters. West MI will always be special to us, but we are really craving more cultural and ethnic diversity, more of an active "downtown", etc. Very hard choices! I would have potential to transfer with my company in either area, but we can't seem to make a decision on what place would suit our family overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado