Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 07:58 PM

268 posts, read 290,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
No to the smell, it almost flooded, that's the instruments they play in the venues I've seen them in.

I haven't seen them in the symphony yet but they claim they will get my family and I tickets I believe.
Cool, thank you. What's West Pueblo? Good or bad area? I saw a tv program about the city, some community meeting and the guy said, is everyone in the building stoned? Looks like there are a lot of pot shops, at least eight:

https://www.coloradopotguide.com/whe...lorado/pueblo/

He said that in an accepting sort of way; he wasn't being critical or sarcastic, it seemed to me. Also there was a segment in a bar (daytime) which served home brewed beer made with chilis.

I'm just trying to determine if I would be able to get a good number of private music students (violin/fiddle, viola and piano).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 08:35 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,123 times
This is what happens when someone moves to a place and buys a house before having spent any real time in that place. It's happened over and over. It happens over and over. I myself did it. I was just fortunate that I came to love the place I live in.

I do realize that it's rarely possible to board up or rent out the house in the current town and rent a house/apt. in the other city. But I've come to realize that if that can't be done, then don't move. It's like marrying a complete stranger. The marriage does work sometimes -- but very rarely.

Ok, OP, you've vented. Now what are you doing to do re your situation?

Old 08-06-2015, 08:55 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
How much researching did you do before you moved there? I spent about 10 days in Denver and had friends there prior to moving. I knew what I was getting into and haven't had any terrible surprises (except for pumping my own gas in winter, but that was inevitable no matter what state I moved to).

Did you talk to other business owners? Ask longtime residents what it was like? Spend any time just visiting the local dives and whatnot?

I ask this because my hometown kind of sucks. I mean, it's a great location, but aside from some truly excellent restaurants, it's a cultural void whose main benefit is its convenient location relative to any number of much cooler places. If you spend a week there, you're gonna know its strengths and weaknesses pretty darn quickly.
This is what I was thinking. one would think that some of the things would have been obvious to the OP if he/she had visited frequently before moving there (i.e. lousy restaurants).

Not to rub it in, though. Living in a place you don't like is a real drag.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:59 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
You would take Pueblo over San Diego!?
I'm not sure I'd take that trade, but in all fairness, San Diego is VERY expensive, there is A LOT of traffic, and the pay is surprisingly low for such an expensive area. If you can't afford to do all the fun things in an area, or you feel like you're always stuck in traffic trying to get to them, life becomes a rat race where you're paying a lot to live in an area with amenities you don't use very much (other than great weather).

Old 08-07-2015, 05:46 PM

289 posts, read 776,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
This is what happens when someone moves to a place and buys a house before having spent any real time in that place. It's happened over and over. It happens over and over. I myself did it. I was just fortunate that I came to love the place I live in.

I do realize that it's rarely possible to board up or rent out the house in the current town and rent a house/apt. in the other city. But I've come to realize that if that can't be done, then don't move. It's like marrying a complete stranger. The marriage does work sometimes -- but very rarely.

Ok, OP, you've vented. Now what are you doing to do re your situation?
This makes me think of my situation in Montrose. I worked there for a couple of weeks and thought it was great. A year later I was offered a permanent position and jumped at it. I wasn't in a position to buy a house (thankfully), so I rented. I was there for all of a month and decided I couldn't stand living there.

Luckily, I was offered a position in Denver a year and a half later and since I was renting, it was easy for me to leave.

Moral of the story - live somewhere for a year before you decide to buy a house.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:53 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
^^
May I ask what you disliked about living in Montrose, or did I miss that discussion?

Old 08-07-2015, 07:32 PM

289 posts, read 776,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
^^
May I ask what you disliked about living in Montrose, or did I miss that discussion?
I've elaborated in other threads but the clef notes version is that the town is isolated, boring, non-welcoming of outsiders, and filled with people who lie, rip others off, and have no concept of what life is like outside of Montrose county.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:12 PM

22 posts, read 33,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypants 3235 View Post
What's West Pueblo? Good or bad area?
Pueblo West is a census-designated place (CDP) of around 30,000 people. It is situated just outside the city limits of Pueblo, which is why all the pot shops are there, recreational pot shops are not currently allowed within the city limits.

As for the area, it's even more arid looking than the city proper & large parts of it prevent land from being broken up into sections smaller than an acre (mostly above Route 50), below 50 there are paved side roads & natural gas vs propane. Some of the most expensive houses in Pueblo are in the Liberty point area (above the dam).

Old 08-07-2015, 08:50 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's Go Here View Post
I've elaborated in other threads but the clef notes version is that the town is isolated, boring, non-welcoming of outsiders, and filled with people who lie, rip others off, and have no concept of what life is like outside of Montrose county.
That's interesting. I've always thought Montrose looked like a cool little town, but I've only stopped for coffee while passing through. Good to know.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:30 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffitude View Post
Oh..after re-reading this if I was someone else reading it I would think, "well maybe these people are A-holes and have been treated badly because of that." I'm quite certain we're not. We are both "treat others as you would be treated" type people, are really good tippers (min. 20%) and kind and considerate to people working in the service industries.
My theory was that you were pompous A-holes until I got to this quoted paragraph. Pompous A-holes hardly ever stop to realize that they may sound like themselves. Therefore, I must assume that you may be very decent people and I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience. My wife and I enjoy going to Pueblo for the state fair, but when my wife had an interview there (before we moved to the state) she walked out less than ten minutes in because she knew the employer would not be a good fit and we crossed Pueblo off our list of possible destinations because her field is very important to us. Her concerns about professionalism mirrored those you described.

For what it is worth, you could have had a similar experience in Iowa City with higher taxes, higher home prices, and much worse weather There is the tiny silver lining. I hope things get better for you in your next locale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado