Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 09:20 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
No offense to the locals there, but I'd never want to live in Alamosa. Unbelievably cold, isolated, and economically depressed. I hear the valley is good for growing some crops, though.
Alamosa and the rest of the SLV are not alone regarding cold and remote. You can say the same thing for South Park (Fairplay), North Park (Walden), Craig, Meeker, Rangely, Gunnison, etc., etc. They are not tourist towns by any stretch. No skiing in these areas. And all the towns have fairly bitter winters. You don't see crazy growth here.

Agriculture is a factor regarding Alamosa and the SLV economy. You also have Adams State College there. But the summers there? It could hit 90 during the day and cool down to 50 at night, sometimes even 45.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 09:38 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
The valley is a fantastically beautiful place scenery wise but it has some issues for anyone wanting to live there. Jobs that pay well? Bring your own. Alkaline levels are fairly high in the soils IIRC. Potable water is also and issue. If ytou can figure out how to overcome these and other issues you might love it there. Good Luck.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:23 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,604 times
Potable water? There is an artesian well next to Hwy 160 and close to Alamosa. Many people get high quality water there for free. As for well water? My neighbor and I either were or are water experts. He tested it. Said it is perfect. I drink it...it tastes perfect. It is melted snow from the neighboring 14,000' mountain ranges. There are still plenty of artesian well in the valley...turning out perfect water.

Alkaline soil? I hope so. Acidic soil points towards nitrates and phosphates...both poisonous in high enough concentrations. Alkalinity is the result of the presence of a lot of sand, gravel, and rocks. The earth is a big rock and it is alkaline. This was a giant lake bed for millions of years. A developer from Denver said the soil for perfect for building homes on. The valley is well known as a good place for farming. That means pretty good soil and water.

People love to pick on the valley. The air and water quality is exceptional. It is windy and it does have cold winters. It is also very good for wind and solar energy. Cheap water via a 100' well. I've seen people go 70', others have gone 120'. Water is deeper as you approach the surrounding mountains of course. Water in the mountains is hit or miss.

There are a couple things the valley does not suffer from....bBad soil, bad water or hot summers. Doesn't stop the haters one little bit. It does have cold winter nights...and sunny days and it is often windy. It is a dry climate so the natural vegetation reflects that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
The valley is a fantastically beautiful place scenery wise but it has some issues for anyone wanting to live there. Jobs that pay well? Bring your own. Alkaline levels are fairly high in the soils IIRC. Potable water is also and issue. If ytou can figure out how to overcome these and other issues you might love it there. Good Luck.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:13 PM

23 posts, read 32,769 times
I'm one of those freaks that bought the 5 acre SLV plots for 6k (we are going in Rio Grande Ranchos right near the NM border). One lot in particular had more sand, and tiny low growing plants and we chose that one, many of the ones we saw were covered in large sagebrushes 3' tall. Im glad we visited and chose instead of buying online for that reason.

As a farming family business we have bought a lot of properties with potential to grow crops, this isnt one of them however. We do want to put a greenhouse on the land and camp in a trailer temporarily when the Iowa summers are way too intense, we visited a lot of the area properties and absolutely fell in love with just tha one location. It has the most beautiful 360 mountain views either of us had ever seen in the entirety of CO. We met a few cool neighbors driving down the dusty roads who stopped to talk to us with kind encouraging words, they told us about water deliveries to your door in the area for $30 per month and, they even said the large water jugs had unlimited refills so they're good for showers too.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:42 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
No offense to the locals there, but I'd never want to live in Alamosa. Unbelievably cold, isolated, and economically depressed. I hear the valley is good for growing some crops, though.
I wouldn't mind living in a isolated smaller town once I get old and in my 40s.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:07 PM

670 posts, read 1,052,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I wouldn't mind living in a isolated smaller town once I get old and in my 40s.
Old; 40's...what are you, 15 years old? LOL

Old 02-03-2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySkiesAbove View Post
Old; 40's...what are you, 15 years old? LOL
I'm in my twenties

Old 02-03-2016, 08:53 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,934,737 times
^^^

Brat!

Does your mother monitor what you're up to out here on the net?

Old 02-03-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
^^^

Brat!

Does your mother monitor what you're up to out here on the net?
No not at all

Old 02-22-2016, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,455 times
I've owned some land there for years. 1/8 section near Alamosa on 5 Mile Road and a few acres south of San Luis at the wild horse mesa.

I've visited before and loved it there. I want to drill a well and live there for a while. I've read on some other threads where drilling wells can be an issue. However, I see most issues become non issues as soon as you show some cash. My property on 5 Mile has 75% mineral rights. Anyone know more about this ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado