Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:29 AM
tao

721 posts, read 3,189,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally posted by jazzlover
Well, enjoy that lifestyle while you can, I guess. It ain't gonna last. In fact, it's not a lifestyle--it's a national cancer.
jazzlover, I don't think any of us like the direction the world is going in, but it's not just happening in Colorado - it's the whole world and especially the whole country. You seem to think it's possible for the world to stay frozen in time, in the time when you loved Colorado and all it used to be. But time passes and the world changes. We either have to change with it or be miserable and pessimistic about everything all the time. Seeing all your posts I feel sad that you're so unhappy with everything. I know people respect you (and your take on things) on this forum because you genuinely mean what you say and you are honest - from your perspective, but you are pretty negative (a bit like Debbie Downer from SNL if you know what I mean).

Some of us came from much worse places than your version of today's Colorado which you think is a terrible place now. Colorado might be changing but there are a lot worse places that are deteriorating much, much faster than Colorado. The Florida I grew up in is now so bad and horrifyingly beyond description and beyond redemption at this point. So we moved here, to a better place. Most of us transplants have a similar reason for moving here. Sorry if you feel like we're ruining your native state...but you don't even live here anymore so why are you constantly trying to bring everything down? Nice/positive topics turn negative when you add your two cents. Maybe you need to learn to accept that the world is what it is - and it's changed from the world you knew as a child/younger man.

I left Florida but it will always be my home state and I will never badmouth it. I don't spend any time on the Florida forum here - I've moved to Colorado and moved on with my life. There's no need for me to bring people down on the Florida forum by saying how it used to be so great and so different, etc. and now it's like a pit from hell. I try to be a positive person. The Colorado forum used to be one of the positive forums here at City-Data...but the tone has really turned negative as of late. I wish you could see the glass half full instead of half empty, or move on and focus on your new state of Wyoming. The Colorado you once knew and loved is long gone and at some point you need to accept it or you'll be forever unhappy.

I say this with sincere concern for your happiness and state of mind, not with the intent to criticize and berate you. I just feel so sad reading your posts. You seem very sad and unhappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 10:14 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Actually, I'm not personally sad and unhappy at all, just very concerned about the direction the Rocky Mountain West and the country, in general, is headed. Contrary to what many might think, I don't incessantly pine for times gone by. There were a great many things historically that were quite unpleasant. As a student of history--and not just of the facts and figures of history, but how people actually had to live--I know that. I also am not "anti-progress." I don't look at modernity or technology as an evil "borg" intent on destroying the earth, BUT I also have no illusions that progress just in the name of progress is an end-all solution to every problem, or that all we call "progress" is really progress at all. Sometimes it's just change for the sake of change, and nets us no betterment.

I hold what many consider a "contrarian" point of view, because I fervently believe that our current lifestyle, which the OP evidently wishes to embrace, is not sustainable over the long term. I have come to terms with that, and I have adjusted my way of living in many ways already to accommodate that. I believe the people who can't/don't want to/or refuse to acknowledge some increasingly self-evident realities are going to face hardships and disappointments that they otherwise might not have to.

If I have any great sadness, it is that I believe our current wasteful and self-centered ways are going to deny those who follow us the joys, opportunities, and even basic comforts that I have enjoyed in my life. I am also sad for what has been lost in Colorado, and all over the Rocky Mountain West in the way of wildness, natural beauty, and solitude. Many who have moved to this region recently have never seen that, so they don't know what has been lost and they don't know what they've missed--or what they never will see. I DO know what has been lost, because I lived it. I have been blessed because I got to see it--I do get sad for those who will not know or see what I have.

By the way, I am currently in Colorado on an extended assignment. When that concludes, I will decide whether or not I stay in my native state, or return to Wyoming or move elsewhere. A lot will depend on how the whole national economic scene plays out. I, like many people, absolutely love Colorado's natural beauty--always have. But little of what man has done in the last 50-75 years has done a thing to enhance any of that. Mostly, it has been a full-force assault on that natural heritage--accelerating greatly in the last 30 years or so. Right now, I'm fighting to protect what I think is important in Colorado and the Rocky Mountain West, as I have been doing for many years. But I will tell you, it is an exhausting battle, and one that continues to be lost on most fronts in this region.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:12 AM

179 posts, read 621,710 times
Where are you from in CO Jazzlover?

Old 02-08-2008, 11:21 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DgoNative View Post
Where are you from in CO Jazzlover?
Denver native, but I've lived all over Colorado. Currently working on an assignment in western Colorado. I was supposed to go Durango this week, but Red Mtn. has been closed and iffy enough otherwise that I postponed. I've been up on Red Mountain Pass when the slides have been running--I really didn't want to tempt fate this week. I could hear it now on city-data, "Bummer, an old-time slowslide got that ol' geezer." Nope, I'm gonna live to write another day . . .

Old 02-08-2008, 12:18 PM

166 posts, read 420,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I've been up on Red Mountain Pass when the slides have been running--I really didn't want to tempt fate this week.
ah yes, red mtn pass, the "gateway" to telluride via black bear road, one of my favorites...in the summer, of course!

Old 02-08-2008, 03:55 PM
LAO

4 posts, read 14,226 times
I would suggest the Flatirons area in Broomfield. It a newly developed area approx. 15-20 minutes away from Boulder. Its great for shopping! It's a beautiful and modern. If your young you would enjoy it because it has all the convienience of retail stores around it. There isnt anything that you wont find in that area, also the apartments and townhomes as well as homes are all newly developed. Personally I think it's perfect for your age!

Old 02-08-2008, 04:22 PM

127 posts, read 434,191 times
Quote:
Well, enjoy that lifestyle while you can, I guess. It ain't gonna last. In fact, it's not a lifestyle--it's a national cancer.

Glad to see you still come in with very positive and helpful contributions to the thread. I think everyone on here knows your thoughts about "how life is going to end as we know it", but I don't think you need to find every thread opportunity to express it.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:34 AM

55 posts, read 175,301 times
MsPiggyGreen...

Where in Albany did you live?

Old 02-11-2008, 09:32 AM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,467,122 times
Quote:
But little of what man has done in the last 50-75 years has done a thing to enhance any of that.
Except for The Wilderness Act...thank god for that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado