Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 02:07 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Many people don't like the way it looks (scenery) compared to the Front Range. It is quite different - less green by quite a bit. And yeah, there isn't much industry or shopping or arts or night life there at all - not a lot of jobs at this point. It can be appreciably warmer and drier than the Front Range.
I thought it was lovely. From Montrose, it was a 45-minute drive to some gorgeous views in Ouray. Gorgeous drive all the way up there. Other day-drives from Montrose proved to be just as lovely. The drive up to Grand Junction was interesting and had some pretty scenery as well, in that deserty-way.

The dryness did not bother me, as I'm from Southern California. It was familiar. I could imagine that it would get kind of monotonous, in its dryness, especially for someone used to more lush green.

I do remember noting the dryness and kind of a "drabness" in some spots, but it was no worse than what I have found in Southern California. I am used to it. If I know I'm 45 minutes away from something much prettier, I can cope!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 03:03 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,703 times
Our son and his family love Grand Junction, though Jobs are a bit if a problem.
I could live there, but my work requires travel and getting out to the rest of the world from Grand Junction is a little limited.
When we retire, It will be high on my list.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:12 PM

18,211 posts, read 25,846,208 times
Valid opinions, all. I've been in Mesa County full time for two decades, worked construction for three decades in all areas of the state including NE and central New Mexico.

Jobs have been an issue in this area for a couple decades. The last 7 years have not been easy here, but it pales in comparison to May 1, 1982.

The area has always been a shipping and distribution point of sorts for western Colorado until the middle 1970's. Then things changed. Oil shale took off and for the next several years hundreds of people moved to the area and also to a lesser extent Rifle and the Craig/Meeker area. When Exxon decided to pull the plug on funding for oil shale communities got nervous. May 2nd became known as "Black Sunday." In six months time nearly 2400 jobs were going, going, gone.

Mesa County in six months time went to double digit unemployment. Local business got its teeth kicked in. By 1985 business vacancy rate was at 50%. Residential housing was about that same figure, maybe a little more. By 1987 the GJ Sentinel was advertising HUD homes for sale and for the next couple years it averaged 150 to 200 listings a month. It wasn't a pretty sight. I had taken a short term assignment with a construction contractor and lived in the GJ area in late '80-early '81. I wouldn't really call the area a boom town at that time; still wages were above average and even a simple 2 bedroom frame house could be bought for, say the middle 30's. During that time the GJ area saw two notable additions- a revitalized downtown and its only shopping mall.

It took a long time to sell those homes; a surprising number of them actually had been vacant even before "Black Sunday." I know because I bought one of those in '87. By 1991 things were looking up but what a lot of people didn't know was the massive selloff of land, particularly north of I-70 from say 19 road to close to Walker airport. By the end of the decade the GJ area more than doubled, by 2002 IIRC they went over 100,000 in total population, if you include Clifton, Orchard Mesa, and Palisade.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:05 AM

25 posts, read 98,711 times
I am also curious more specifically about Grand Junction's progress or lack of in important areas. For example in terms of attracting people who choose to live there, the reasons they have to reside there or, to leave the area, especially lifestyle type people you find all over Colorado, California etc.(for skiing, biking, outdoor recreation lifestyle stuff). Progress regarding planning and investment in public infrastructure to promote and improve lifestyle characteristics that drive in migration thru focus on the future thru health, progress, parks, public spaces, recreational amenities, libraries etc. Is Grand Junction working these things or not, examples/successes. The sorts of planning/reasons above contribute to the national exposure and popularity of the front range. Anybody know about Grand Junction's developments?

Old 01-22-2016, 10:15 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoTroutlHntr View Post
I am also curious more specifically about Grand Junction's progress or lack of in important areas. For example in terms of attracting people who choose to live there, the reasons they have to reside there or, to leave the area, especially lifestyle type people you find all over Colorado, California etc.(for skiing, biking, outdoor recreation lifestyle stuff). Progress regarding planning and investment in public infrastructure to promote and improve lifestyle characteristics that drive in migration thru focus on the future thru health, progress, parks, public spaces, recreational amenities, libraries etc. Is Grand Junction working these things or not, examples/successes. The sorts of planning/reasons above contribute to the national exposure and popularity of the front range. Anybody know about Grand Junction's developments?
Grandiose ideas, but how can any of that happen without jobs? How can any city attract incomers if there are no jobs to bring them there? It's nice to have long range plans for infrastructure, open space, etc., but there has to be money to make these things happen. The city has to be able to afford incentives to bring businesses to town and help them grow, but they can't print the money.

Double H made some very valid points about the economy in GJ. Look at the kinds of jobs that are bringing people to the Front Range. How would you propose to entice employers to move to an isolated place like GJ that lacks an international airport?

Old 01-22-2016, 05:11 PM

18,211 posts, read 25,846,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Grandiose ideas, but how can any of that happen without jobs? How can any city attract incomers if there are no jobs to bring them there? It's nice to have long range plans for infrastructure, open space, etc., but there has to be money to make these things happen. The city has to be able to afford incentives to bring businesses to town and help them grow, but they can't print the money.

Double H made some very valid points about the economy in GJ. Look at the kinds of jobs that are bringing people to the Front Range. How would you propose to entice employers to move to an isolated place like GJ that lacks an international airport?
Yes.

And then there is the issue of Shaw Construction. oy!... Several years ago Shaw Construction did quite a bit of work at Grand Junction Regional Airport.(formerly known as Walker Field). And the bulk of the work done was at the airport administration building. Shaw filed suit against the airport for non payment of work done, which Shaw estimated it to be $320,000. Just last week this has finally been resolved. With the feet dragging came interest, and the airport board has agreed to pay Shaw Construction $357,000. I'd have to dig for a source on this but what I DO remember was that the U.S. Department of Justice got involved here.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-22-2016 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: 2 sentences deleted, need to research that comment first.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:53 PM

66 posts, read 101,714 times
I've lived in GJ for 22 years. I am generally pretty oblivious to what goes on around me (just go to work, go home, do my own thing on weekends, lather;rinse;repeat), but I see enough local government happenings in the newspaper that just makes me kinda scratch my head.
I really do like living here, due to proximity to the mountains to be able to do the stuff I like, but I'm not sure I'll retire here. The summer heat is really starting to get to me, and the extreme dryness in the winter is not fun for me either.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:18 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,997,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westslopeguy View Post
I've lived in GJ for 22 years. I am generally pretty oblivious to what goes on around me (just go to work, go home, do my own thing on weekends, lather;rinse;repeat), but I see enough local government happenings in the newspaper that just makes me kinda scratch my head.
I really do like living here, due to proximity to the mountains to be able to do the stuff I like, but I'm not sure I'll retire here. The summer heat is really starting to get to me, and the extreme dryness in the winter is not fun for me either.
This seems to be a recurring trend in a lot of places, be they predominantly democrat or republican or a healthy mix of everything. People seem to really be baffled by elected "leadership" these days.

On to the topic at hand.

Grand Junction really could develop into a nice non-Front Range metro area in Colorado. The jobs are the long pole in the tent. The airport being so small is another factor that I hadn't considered, though it's adequate for a city GJ's size.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:43 PM

289 posts, read 776,038 times
I've always viewed Grand Junction as a "blah" kind of town. Enough shopping and dining options to get by, but not enough to make it an attractive place to live, especially given the housing prices.

The town is too isolated for me - and not easy to travel out of.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:36 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Many people don't like the way it looks (scenery) compared to the Front Range. It is quite different - less green by quite a bit. And yeah, there isn't much industry or shopping or arts or night life there at all - not a lot of jobs at this point. It can be appreciably warmer and drier than the Front Range.
I don't think that has anything to do with it. The native grasslands of Denver and other Front Range cities are brown for 9 months of the year. The greenery in cities is produced by irrigation during the warmer months, which they do as much of in Grand Junction. GJ is close to forested mountains but most people don't live in the forest - it's the same along the Front Range. The answer to the OPs question is lack of jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado