Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 08:55 PM

135 posts, read 153,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
Commute from Lafayette
The last thing we need is more people commuting to Boulder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 01:14 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,914 times
OP, I can't address the subject of rent prices or other attractions of Colorado. I can, however, comment on adjusting to cold weather as a fellow native Californian.

I grew up and lived most of my life in Calfornia. But, I've lived, off and on, in parts of the midwest—which have worse winters than Colorado. (I haven't actually spent a winter in Colorado, though I have visited in the summer more than once.)

I THINK you can get used to colder weather if you give yourself time and adjust your expectations.

You will have to scrape snow off of your windshield in the winter. You will have to bundle up in the winter. Activities will be less in the winter. You will have to drive more carefully in the winter.

When I encountered my first "real" winter, I absolutely hated it and couldn't fathom why anyone would put up with it. In the midwest, it's just dreary with no little upside. It's not like the scenery is prettier (or even "pretty") in the winter. It's merely something to endure until Spring finally comes.

I've been led to believe that Colorado is an improvement over many other places and having had time to "adjust" to midwestern winters, Colorado (and other parts of the southwest) are sounding pretty good to me.

Others are saying that winter highs would be 50-60 (or thereabouts) on a good day in Colorado. It looks like plenty of days will average just above freezing, with other days in the 40s or 50s. In my experience, having "endured" the midwestern winter for a while now and having come to terms with my dislike for it, I've come to the conclusion that if there's no snow on the ground, it's not wet and muddy, and it's in the 40s or 50s, it's a GOOD day, and it sounds like there are a fair amount of those in Colorado. If you can get around and about without worrying about skidding in snow, then it's pretty comfortable. I imagine that the sun makes things even seem more comfortable. I also imagine that in many parts of Colorado, it's still scenic even in winter, which is not the case for many parts of the midwest and east (where it's just flat and dull, especially in winter when there are no leaves on the trees).

Compared to the midwest, Colorado sounds pretty good. Compared to Southern California, the winters are not so good. But you have to realize that and be willing to make the adjustment, and be aware of what you're giving up and what you're getting instead. There is great beauty in Colorado, and if you are not completely holed up in the winter like a hermit (which can be the case farther east and in the midwest, but not as much in Colorado) then it might work for you.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:46 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,759 times
Regardless of where you move in Colorado the secret-sauce to whether your experience is good or not so good will be (a) your attitude (b) your resilience and (c) the effort you put in to connecting with other people in sensible ways and places. I moved to Colorado (Denver) in 1996 at age 26 from an obscenely expensive coastal SoCal beach town in which I had zero chance of making a life or ever owning a home or, sadly, having a "normal" family existence. I was single, had not a penny to my name and did not know a soul. No job and did I meantion no connections? Only connection to Colorado was knowing my father, grandfather, and great-grandfather were all born here (in Denver and on the long-gone homesteaded ranch out on the eastern plains, respectively). The process of moving to a new state/city was both exciting and brutal. The key was (and I presume still is) being very VERY respectful of locals, no matter how mean-spirited or small-minded some of them (thankfully, nowhere near all of them) can be at times. Respond to veiled insults with smiles and funny stories. If you get discouraged it's gonna show and you, the newcomer, will suffer not them.

The seasons are fabulous here. Each and every one of them is almost sublime. VASTLY better than always the same stupid "moderate" temperature in coastal Cali, which is totally unnatural. The seasons are SUPPOSED to change. Winters are not THAT bad, with long stretches of reasonably warmish temps. Fall and Spring fill the soul with joy. THAT never happened in Cali where every day is the same.

I suggest you start in Denver, though now that I'm married and have Junior High age kids I find Colorado Springs to be in all ways superior to Denver in terms of livability. Denver is REALLY congested and getting stupid expensive and is just a vast wasteland of sprawl. It's also cool and hip and urban the closer you get to the city core. At my advanced age of 46 I prefer the chill daily 12 minute commute from house in foothills to downtown office over cool and hip and nightmarishly congested. When I was late 20's and unmarried (closer to your demographic) I wanted hip and urban and the traffic and sprawl didn't bother me. Now it does so I moved. Still a free country I believe.

Again, if you do this thing (even if you don't, though I personally think you should knowing what you'll be facing if you stay in CA), just stay positive and be engaged and good things will eventually happen. It takes guts to just pick up and move to a new place and I suggest everybody (even "natives" who never left their hometown) try it at least once.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:31 AM

145 posts, read 204,126 times
We moved from California in 1990, my wife grew up in California...we loved our 24 years in Colorado...there was plenty of sunshine and outdoor activities. We lived in Parker the whole time and would have stayed, had any of our 4 children lived in Colorado. My California wife would not go back to California, she absolutely loves Colorado.
Estes park is wonderful to visit, but it's expensive and very crowded in the summer.
There are still lots of affordable places along the front range where you can enjoy this beautiful state.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:08 PM

55 posts, read 104,916 times
Well thank you for those who share that they had a positive experience. It's always a breath of fresh air compared to all the people who will try to talk you out of moving to their state. The reason I would consider Fort Collins and Colorado Springs more than Denver is because I hate traffic and as nice as it would be to have a social life, I don't want to meet guys at bars. In my experience those guys arent looking for relationships, unless Colorado is different than California. And as much as I would like 4 different seasons, I will miss the beach. I would like to live there a year and see if it's an adjustment I can adapt to.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:38 PM

145 posts, read 204,126 times
I'll say one more thing...when we moved to Colorado in 1990, we heard the usual "Don't Californicate Colorado"...and we were a little intimidated by that, but really, I love the personality of the people there and everyone treated us very nicely.
There is an independent spirit in the West. What we found were other transplants and that made us bond better.

I get more strange looks now in Tenn. when I say I moved here from Colorado :>)...ha

Old 10-03-2016, 07:40 PM

So overall... is Denver or Fort Collins a better fit? Im actually thinking loveland? I know Denver probably has the most jobs but also the most people = job competition. Plus the most traffic and probably the most expensive. I really like the idea of Fort Collins (or a nearby suburb of it). The downside of it being its a college town, so Im assuming the recent grads with no real job experience are willing to take any job and work for low wages, which would make it challenging for a professional like myself with lots of experience to find a decent paying gig. I dont think colorado springs is completely off the table but I dont like the huge military presence. My cheating dad was army, my cheating fiancé was army, and then the man I married joined the army (and cheated). Not saying all military people are like that, but thats been my experience. And since Im single and bound to date at some point, I want to steer clear of dating military guys. While on that subject... how are the people? Are they decent human beings? Men where I live are terrible. I dont know if its just my area or just the way my generation of men are but dating is now like a horror flick. Im going to take my time being single but Im just curious...

Old 10-03-2016, 08:54 PM

8,501 posts, read 8,794,511 times
Some people pick north Loveland for various reasons. Might be a bit cheaper rent, a bit quieter, not as university focused. From there you could hold a job in Fort Collins or Loveland and Loveland won't be as heavy on university competition. FC will have more nightlife and singles nightlife but having both nearby gives more choices of places to go and people to meet.

There is also a lot of lakes around and even in Loveland that might substitute to some extent for your enjoyment of the beach.

Fort Collins is younger on average but both have 28-29% between the ages of 25-44. Loveland is more conservative, church and marriage oriented but the two cities blend together in some ways.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-03-2016 at 09:09 PM..

Old 10-04-2016, 06:39 AM

64 posts, read 66,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaescape View Post
So overall... is Denver or Fort Collins a better fit? Im actually thinking loveland? I know Denver probably has the most jobs but also the most people = job competition. Plus the most traffic and probably the most expensive. I really like the idea of Fort Collins (or a nearby suburb of it). The downside of it being its a college town, so Im assuming the recent grads with no real job experience are willing to take any job and work for low wages, which would make it challenging for a professional like myself with lots of experience to find a decent paying gig. I dont think colorado springs is completely off the table but I dont like the huge military presence. My cheating dad was army, my cheating fiancé was army, and then the man I married joined the army (and cheated). Not saying all military people are like that, but thats been my experience. And since Im single and bound to date at some point, I want to steer clear of dating military guys. While on that subject... how are the people? Are they decent human beings? Men where I live are terrible. I dont know if its just my area or just the way my generation of men are but dating is now like a horror flick. Im going to take my time being single but Im just curious...

If you don't mind being further out Ft Collins is definitely a nice city. I would personally choose it over the springs. Colorado Springs has never been appealing to me though, I'd rather live in Laramie, WY than there. I personally prefer to live in Denver, it's worth the extra cost to be near all the fun things like downtown, red rocks and within an hour+ of the big resorts.

That said, I just visited a friend in Omaha, Nebraska that built a house for 220K, 3600 Square feet with 10' ceilings and quartz countertops. That house would be like 700K if it was sitting on my lot in Lakewood. Makes me sad thinking about it! Ha

People in Colorado are a little cold and not as fake/plastic. You'll have to work harder to find a social circle but I feel like the people here are more down to earth. I don't date men so can't really help you there, it's definitely a sausage fest here though. Ha

Old 10-04-2016, 05:55 PM

My lease is up in March so thats when I will make my move. Im looking at Loveland, Greeley, and Longmont. I dont like the idea of being dead center in the middle of denver traffic (which I was told could be bad, especially when it snows, which is apprently a lot?) or right in the middle of college town with massive recent grad competition. I figure places like longmont give me the option to commute either direction for work? Loveland looks very clean, upkept, suburban. But not horribly overpriced. But I guess that really depends on what they pay their average business professional there. I know minimum wage is almost $2 less there but I dont usually work for minimum wage.

I found an apartment in San Clemente Ca thats a mile from the beach. The street its on is part of downtown so there is lots of shops and great places to eat. And there is beach hiking trails. The weather is in the 70s most of the year. There are $20/hr jobs about a 20-30 minute drive away. But... this apartment is $1200 in an old building, no air conditioning, no fireplace, no washer/dryer. You can see the pipes above you. Nothing fancy at all. For about $1000 I found an apartment by horseshoe lake in CO. It is very nice. Has all the ammenties. Seems like a clean, suburban town with a rural feel. But of course there is no beach and the weather will be quite a change. This is a big decision. A apartment comparible to this CO one in CA would cost at least $1700.

Let me ask you this... as far as loveland, greeley, longmont sort of cities go... whats the best for shopping, dining, meeting people, job options... without being in Denver/Fort Collins. As a 31 year old single who actually likes suburban conservative areas with some options of things to do, which city is best? Even thought I love the beach and perfect weather I would like to see actually leaves changing colors and meet some new people, preferably some nice people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado