Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 06:33 AM

242 posts, read 413,319 times

Advertisements

No listing agent has ever made a deal FOR me or made us pay too much. I don't understand that statement at all.

best of luck with a purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 08:14 AM

468 posts, read 799,894 times
Basically, it means they were essentially representing the sellers and therefore, I don't feel we got the best advice and paid too much for the house because of it.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:15 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,067 times
Are you still in the SlV?

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/12/3...n-luis-valley/

Old 01-01-2018, 08:51 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Demon View Post
A few thoughts from someone who relocated within the last few years to a completely new area.

Re: "Realtors"

What worked here was to use the Internet extensively. Realtor.com...Zillow...Trulia....helped us zero in on location/prices/availability/how long things have been on the market. We also used Google Earth to size up the terrain/flora/etc. (or to see that the guy next to the house for sale has a huge junkyard in his backyard/etc.)

We found a few places we were interested in and then contacted the listing agent for more info. (In Colorado agents can represent either party...or both). Ask for more pictures/info if you find a place of interest. Most (good) realtors will go out of their way to help...especially if you are from out of town. I'm not sure how "hot" properties are in Monte Vista...but be aware that everyone is trying to cash in on the escalating prices here. We saw far too many places that had had no improvements done whatsoever..yet...they wanted top dollar as if it were newly remodeled. You'll often be able to tell by the length the property (and photos) has been listed if this is the case with certain listings.

Good luck in your search.
In CO, dual agency is illegal. An agent can represent either buyer or seller, but NOT both. There is allowance to serve as a transaction agent, in which case the agent processes the sale for both sides but does not act on behalf of one vs the other.

This outlawing of dual agency protects both buyers and sellers. We had a very bad experience in WA with a listing agent abusing dual agency.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:43 AM

I can't remember if our agent called herself a transition agent or not. I do remember both parties signing a paper that allowed the process to happen. Each of us had a goal in mind. Either way...our agent acted on both of our interests...and bridged the gap in price we had at the onset by simply telling us the sellers had no equity/owed the asking price to the bank. For us, it worked well.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:47 AM

686 posts, read 1,101,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Demon View Post
I can't remember if our agent called herself a transition agent or not. I do remember both parties signing a paper that allowed the process to happen. Each of us had a goal in mind. Either way...our agent acted on both of our interests...and bridged the gap in price we had at the onset by simply telling us the sellers had no equity/owed the asking price to the bank. For us, it worked well.
There is more to agency and representing your interests than the negotiation of price. The need for your own agent, solely representing your interests, in real estate dealings is essential. FWIW I am not a realtor, but have been around the block a time or two...

Old 01-02-2018, 04:44 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
TransACTION, not transition.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:30 AM

1,951 posts, read 2,300,032 times
enjoy being at 7,600 ft above sea level

Old 01-04-2018, 09:17 AM

The agent represents themselves first and foremost in any/all deals...and you second. Just ask any of them to knock off a part of their commission to seal a deal for proof. Anyone who thinks differently >will< be taken around the block...repeatedly.

The Internet has lessened the agents power, IMO. No longer do you need to be led around to properties you aren't interested in. You can see the listings...unlike the days of old where the MLS was held tight and you needed an agent to even get started. This allows those buyers who know what they want to cut through a lot of the wasted time/energy of the past.

Life at altitude is a mindset....just as living in the city is a mindset. You simply need to embrace wherever you are and make the best of all of it. I'm guessing lunabell is doing fine....like most folks who think it all out well and know what they want.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:49 PM

385 posts, read 324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Thanks for posting this article and the attached video. I watched the entire video, mesmerized at how difficult and primitive their living situation was, and yet admiring their "can do" attitude.

I am glad that not many others are doing this. If you can imagine just 80 families or so doing this, and all of them having to go and cut down trees for cords of wood to furnish heat in the winter, then we can imagine a forest gradually being wiped out.

I'm not complaining, mind you, because over all, their carbon footprint is miles smaller than that of most contemporary consumers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado