Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 12:46 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,922 times

Advertisements

As mentioned, a little walking will open up whole new vistas. To really get away it is almost imperative.

Nowhere near the Front Range, although the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad may be willing to stop along their route and let one off in near wilderness. At least my belief this once the practice, and one could arrange to be picked up same spot days later.

Believe it or not one can get pretty lost within Rocky Mountain National Park. And you don't even need a 4x4 to get to the trailhead. A quick look at a Park map will also demonstrate that there are a lot of lakes within the Park. Bare in mind that the roads, campgrounds, and many trails can become complete zoos come summer. But that because where the vast majority of Park visitors congregate. Only a short distance from complete mayhem one can surprisingly find complete solitude. And although the lakes are popular, my suspicion some of the truly more remote ones rarely see any humans. All of which will require some hiking, and if you really want privacy, well off any trail.

It seems odd but one can drive for hours, then way up some Godforsaken dirt road, and at the end of it find the party has already arrived. In the middle of nowhere. This also applies to hiking long distances, if that along a popular wilderness trail. The secret in this is that the number of people you find will be in direct inverse proportion to the difficulty in getting there. But especially in distance from any formal route, whether highway or trail. Very few people venture into true wilderness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 02:55 PM

111 posts, read 313,827 times
Came across this thread and wanted to open it up to any new ideas. I went camping in New Hampshire at a spot a friend of mine showed me, was basically at the end of a long and windy road that ended with a nice wide open camping area. But along the road there were little outlet camping spots as well.

Wanted to know if anyone knew of any type of similar spots are available in the Colorado wilderness.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:23 PM
ndk

68 posts, read 302,082 times
In my experience, campgrounds and hiking areas in the Northeast are actually less crowded than their Colorado counterparts. Even on a Friday in the middle of summer doing the Robert Frost/Metacomet Trail in Amherst, I encountered literally nobody more than 500ft from a parking lot, and very few at the lots too. Maybe it's because the college town is empty in summer, but I haven't exactly found the Flatirons to be abandoned outside Boulder in July.

Maybe it's the mindset of the urban people nearby. Maybe the hiking and camping are just that much more enjoyable out here(no Lyme disease, fewer bugs, more views?). Maybe it's the lure of Colorado as a destination pulling in people from afar.

But whatever the reason, it's a lot easier to find peace out East. Go figure.

There is a lot of variety in Colorado Campgrounds. I suggest you pick up a book and leaf through a few to see if one appeals. Your description is pretty general and it'll be hard for us to read the rest of your mind and come up with somewhere you'll love.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:47 PM

27 posts, read 69,736 times
If you do want to research wilderness areas this website is incredibly informative: http://www.coloradowilderness.com/cowildareas.html

It lists all of the wilderness areas in Colorado, the acreage, has a general blurb to get a feel for particular spots, and contact numbers for each location in case you have further inquiries. Best of luck and enjoy your adventure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado