Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 01:17 PM

84 posts, read 87,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
You could also check out the area around Elizabeth. It's rural and it's on the Palmer Divide as opposed to the foothills, but it's likely cheaper than the western burbs and only 10-15 mins further from the airport. Downtown's about an hour by car, and the southern burbs are 30 mins.

Thanks Bluescreen. I'd prefer to not be on the plateau. Maybe our ideas aren't realistic, but that's all they are right now. Ideas. I don't necessarily need rural. Just want a little space and/or close proximity to trails, nature etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 01:25 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coast 2 Coast View Post
Just wanted to add .... The building a house idea is not set in stone.
Well even to get something that's "not .2 acre and surrounded by neighbors" will be a challenge. Land is a whole other thing.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Well even to get something that's "not .2 acre and surrounded by neighbors" will be a challenge. Land is a whole other thing.
Thanks

Old 10-11-2019, 09:01 PM

6,763 posts, read 5,066,113 times
I’ll throw out the NW ‘burbs as an option. It’s an easy drive to the airport on the 470 tollway. Some good school districts and convenient to kids’ activities. We lived in Louisville for about 10 years. From there you can jump on a bike and easily ride to Boulder. Some nice trails in and near Louisville. Fantastic for outdoor enthusiasts. Pretty convenient access to lots of shopping. You won’t get a big lot though.

Unfortunately, Denver is not a place where it’s easy to get a lot of elbow room. If that’s a top priority you should probably look somewhere else. Doing a new build in the foothills will be probably 3x the budget you mentioned last year, not close to amenities or kids’ activities, and will be a horrible drive to the airport.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I’ll throw out the NW ‘burbs as an option. It’s an easy drive to the airport on the 470 tollway. Some good school districts and convenient to kid’s activities. We lived in Louisville for about 10 years. From there you can jump on a bike and easily ride to Boulder. Some nice trails in and near Louisville. Fantastic for outdoor enthusiasts. Pretty convenient access to lots of shopping. You won’t get a big lot though.

Unfortunately, Denver is not a place where it’s easy to get a lot of elbow room. If that’s a top priority you should probably look somewhere else. Doing a new build in the foothills will be probably 3x the budget you mentioned last year, not close to amenities or kids’ activities, and will be a horrible drive to the airport.

Thanks so much. I was just on Zillow looking at Loveland and Longmont. Fort Collins too.
To be honest, this building a house on a lot somewhere is really my wife's idea. She loves older houses and if we could find something older and charming (and lots more crap to fix lol) she'd sacrifice on having a smaller property. I'm pretty flexible with the property and even more with the house itself. I just want access to the outdoors.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:23 PM

6,763 posts, read 5,066,113 times
Quote:
Thanks so much. I was just on Zillow looking at Loveland and Longmont. Fort Collins too.
To be honest, this building a house on a lot somewhere is really my wife's idea. She loves older houses and if we could find something older and charming (and lots more crap to fix lol) she'd sacrifice on having a smaller property. I'm pretty flexible with the property and even more with the house itself. I just want access to the outdoors.
I also lived in Ft Collins. It’s a really nice town. Literally right outside of town you have Horsetooth Park and Lory State Park. Some really great biking, bouldering, and trail running. Rafting on the Poudre River in the spring. A nice family town. Definitely will be easier to find a somewhat bigger property. I lived on 3/4 acre right in town, an older house but really private.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I also lived in Ft Collins. It’s a really nice town. Literally right outside of town you have Horsetooth Park and Lory State Park. Some really great biking, bouldering, and trail running. Rafting on the Poudre River in the spring. A nice family town. Definitely will be easier to find a somewhat bigger property. I lived on 3/4 acre right in town, an older house but really private.
Sounds really promising. I'm going to check it out for sure. Thanks !

Old 10-12-2019, 11:09 AM

Just as a heads up..there are mosquitoes in Fort Collins. Not as much as Kentucky but certainly more than many other places in Colorado.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:01 PM

[quote=maciesmom;56390421]Just as a heads up..there are mosquitoes in Fort Collins. Not as much as Kentucky but certainly more than many other places in Colorado.[/QUOT

Thanks again . I so look forward to you posts. lol

Old 10-12-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Just as a heads up..there are mosquitoes in Fort Collins. Not as much as Kentucky but certainly more than many other places in Colorado.
Thanks again . I so look forward to you posts. lol
Sigh...not trying to dissuade you -simply to get you to a more realistic expectation. Over the years we have all kinds of posters who post one version or another of "I'm planning to move to Denver! My budget is *insert amount that is probably substantial where they currently live but realistically hundreds of thousands less than what they would need for what they imagine, if what they imagine exists*. They imagine purchasing large picturesque lots in or near the mountains for what realistically is the price of an average suburban home on the plains and on a small lot. Your $5-600K is probably the of an average (maybe slightly more) home in Highlands Ranch.

I would not have mentioned the mosquitoes except you brought it up. Honestly I quite like Fort Collins. It has a very midwest vibe to it and many amenities being a college town. It also has mosquitoes.

The good news is it appears you can afford to live here. You will most likely need to adjust your expectations though.

Last edited by maciesmom; 10-12-2019 at 12:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado