Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 02:52 PM

56 posts, read 92,523 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Dallas and always did the 287 route to Raton and then up I-25. Never had issues, no matter the time of year. Wide open spaces for sure but mountains to the west once you hit I-25. I-35 to I-70 is straight up dull plus I wouldn't want to get caught in a Plains blizzard in the winter. Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 03:38 PM

149 posts, read 104,352 times
I have driven both routes that folks are suggesting. If you want the safest, I agree with bluescreen73; that is, stick to the interstates. It is longer (and boring), but you will get there.

If you go the other route and hit snow, you might have to chain up to get over Raton Pass.

In the spring of 2010, we were returning to Colorado Springs from Huntsville, AL, and hit the blizzard in OK and KS. I-40 was closed at the OK - TX border, so we tried to drive the state routes from around Enid, OK to Garden City, KS. They were not plowed. We backtracked to I-35 and went into Wichita. The interstates were clear all the way to Denver.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:29 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,644,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If you want the safest route it'll be I-35 to Wichita, KS, then I-135 to Salina, and I-70 from Salina into Denver. It's longer, but it's Interstate the entire way.
I-35/I-70

Your next-best choice is probably Amarillo->Dalhart->Raton->Denver via US-287, US-87, and I-25. Shorter, but there's a bit of two-lane road driving and driving through isolated parts of Northwest Texas and Northeastern New Mexico.
287/87/I-25
I would recommend planning ahead of time and check the weather forecast frequently and adjust.
I got caught in a surprise blizzard back in 1999 between Pueblo, CO and Raton, NM on I-25. It was after midnight and I recall barely being able to see the marker posts at the side of the road. Visibility was horrible. The snow kept getting deeper by the minute and more slippery. I-25 was just blanketed with white snow after about an hour. I finally made it to Raton after a couple of hours of ridiculous conditions. The "catch" was that my little Ford Ranger had metal-studded ice tires. It maintained the traction despite the icy conditions. At that point of late winter/early spring, I already had a huge amount of experience driving in snow around Denver. I had enough snow-driving skill to make it but was lucky.

Nowadays, just get a "weather" app and check its forecast frequently. The odds are that the interstates are safer and generally more well-maintained compared to a small highway in rural NM and the Texas Panhandle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado