Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2019, 07:48 PM

4 posts, read 9,974 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are considering a move to Gunnison county. We currently live in Fair play, co and are tired of the Summit county hustle and bustle. My hubby is a Colorado native from grand junction. I have lived in Colorado for over 20 years. We have lived in the roaring fork valley for years, boulder, evergreen, bailey and several years in Fair play. We are avid outdoors people, no kids and have two huskies. My only hesitation is employment in gunnison county. We understand tbe cost of housing is similar and slightly more in gunnison county. My hubby currently does maintenence. He has several years of construction experience as well as retail management experience. I have customer service, sales, office, management, insurance and medical office experience. We just want a simple life in the mountains and enjoy all they have to offer. Unfortunately, this area has become too hard to enjoy the outdoors with all the people. We don't need to make a million dollars, just enough to live comfortably and have a little breathing room. We are kind, honest, hardworking people looking for a great community to call home. Is this possible? Any info would be appreciated, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 08:23 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
Unemployment is very low there and job growth is expected to be national average or better. If you are flexible about what type of jobs and realistic about wages, you should do ok. The better jobs will have more competition and you might end having to try to get any employer to raise wages for good, reliable work. It is a contest but one worth trying to some level.

A lot of the work will be up in Crested Butte, which can have some small town hectic at times. Seasonal work is an issue.

Sounds like you know what you no longer want but be sure you know what you are giving up that you have now & like that may or may not be present in Gunnison or at least at same level.

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-01-2019 at 08:33 PM..

Old 01-01-2019, 08:28 PM

Thanks! We are open to different work. I like the idea of not commuting over an hour for work too (Fair play to Frisco everyday). Although not te hnically the front range, it definitely feels like it some days.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:36 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
A commute to Crested Butte might be at least half that depending where you chose to live.

Trolling for sweet jobs by networking with friends or with strangers who appear to have bigger money in bars, church or wherever can sometimes payoff.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:39 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,461 times
I have a few friends who have "made it" in the ski towns and here is what I have noticed:

- They bought a house or condo. It wasn't easy to save the down payment, but they spent a few years working like dogs to scrape it together. This takes away rent stress.

- They learned a skill that a newbie or someone with less than 5 years in town doesn't know. Ski towns are built on young labor that only stay for a few seasons. Maybe your husband can find out what construction trades are in demand like licensed HVAC or plumbers.

- Strong people skills so you can network your way into one of the better jobs. You can't be an introvert.

If the above doesn't seem possible, think about moving to a non-tourist town and work in something like mining, government, etc.

Good luck!

Old 01-03-2019, 06:01 AM

Thanks everybody! my husband and I are actually looking to sell our house in fairplay so hopefully the downpayment won't be too much of an issue. We might actually even look at building a small home up there on a small lot if we can do it. The idea of a half hour commute at most sounds entirely appealing. I understand the hecticness of living in a ski town as I go through Breckenridge and I'm there every single day which seems more like Denver than a small mountain community. we have been to crested Butte several times on peak times and although busy does not feel like it takes the fun out of it. we are definitely looking for a town where we can Network and get to know as well as be an asset to the local community. we hope we can pull this off any other information would be much appreciated thanks so much!

Old 01-04-2019, 11:50 AM

2,477 posts, read 2,698,410 times
Crested Butte is one of my favorite places in Colorado. Still feels like "Colorado" when you are there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado