Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2020, 09:16 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times

Advertisements

One of Azar's TV ads features an older guy with shoulder length greasy gray hair. I'm usually pretty good with accents, but his baffles me. He says something to the effect, "I was out driving and someone slommed into me..." I'm thinking maybe Irish. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 10:20 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Possibly Czech.

His name in the ad is "Jan" and he says he is/was a "ski racer"

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Hudec

Replay ad at https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Zw4d/frankli...on-my-way-home

Old 07-13-2020, 10:28 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Because of reed leaving the link ..He reminded me of all the Swedish movies I've seen.
Compare him to any Max Von Sydow clip. (May he RIP, btw.)

So my Vote? Scandinavian.

Wait a min, reed ---is that Jan the same Jan? Now how the heck did you know THAT? Lol
I'm using you as my PI if I ever need one!

Old 07-13-2020, 11:01 AM

Smile The Interwebs know all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Because of reed leaving the link ..He reminded me of all the Swedish movies I've seen.

Wait a min, reed ---is that Jan the same Jan? Now how the heck did you know THAT? Lol
1. probably
2. Five minutes on YouTube and Wikipedia

Old 07-13-2020, 11:31 AM

88 posts, read 53,710 times
The Jan in the ad is a LOT OLDER than the Jan in the link. I found some photos of the Jan in the link and it is a different guy with short brown hair and a nice brown beard. He is only 38 and skied competitively at least until 2016.

https://www.google.com/search?client...-d&q=Jan+Hudec

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/tag/jan-hudec/

Last edited by Briargate; 07-13-2020 at 12:04 PM..

Old 07-13-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briargate View Post
The Jan in the ad is a LOT OLDER than the Jan in the link. I found some photos of the Jan in the link and it is a different guy with short brown hair and a nice brown beard. He is only 38 and skied competitively at least until 2016.

https://www.google.com/search?client...-d&q=Jan+Hudec

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/tag/jan-hudec/
You both may be right. A little more searching finds a Jan Halvarsson, a Swedish skier, who is 77

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Halvarsson

Oh Well.........

Old 07-13-2020, 02:27 PM

Thanks reed303. The linked ad is a bit different from the one I saw on TV. I don't recall a name listed on the TV ad nor anything about being a ski racer. But good investigative work, thanks!

BTW, his accent is pretty mild for either Czech or Scandinavian. Jan could also be a Dutch name and the Dutch learn English early in school and have relatively mild accents. Listening to that ad, definitely not Irish.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:58 AM

88 posts, read 53,710 times
In the ad I saw, which is currently running in Colorado Springs on occasion, he says is name is Jan and he is a competitive skier.

Actually, I spent a few more minutes on it yesterday and might have found the guy. I guessed he might still be skiing competitively in the masters/veterans class/league, so I found the one Jan that competed in Colorado during the 2019-2020 season. He currently lives in Englewood, but used to live in Colorado Springs. He is 66. His name has a Czech heritage. I will not publish his name.

But maybe he is reading this and will let us know we are all wrong. LOL.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:23 AM

Thanks. I've never noticed a name in any of his ads, but I usually pay little attention to them. This one caught my attention because he's one of the few relatively normal-looking people in the ads, plus the unusual accent. He has much less of an accent than Martina Navratilova :-)

I spent several weeks in central/eastern Europe a few years ago and can't distinguish between the various Slavic languages (Czech, Slovak, Polish, Serbian, etc.) nor their accents while speaking English.

Old 07-19-2020, 02:25 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
One of Azar's TV ads features an older guy with shoulder length greasy gray hair. I'm usually pretty good with accents, but his baffles me. He says something to the effect, "I was out driving and someone slommed into me..." I'm thinking maybe Irish. Any thoughts?
I think Frank Azar and the like target stay at home adults who are vulnerable to finding ways of living on the dole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado