Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 03:12 PM

408 posts, read 450,598 times

Advertisements

Define "good schools"?

#1 Colorado's education is underfunded (research TABOR aka "Tax Payers' Bill of Rights".)

#2. Mountain communities generally have two types of families: wealthy and working/service class. The former often opt for private schools (for example, Vail Mountain School.) The latter are often Latino who move about quite a bit, something often reflected in their children's test scores.

#3. If by "good schools" you mean test scores, here's a comparison between the best public elementary school in Breckenridge (a ski town that meets many of your criteria) Steamboat Springs (more remote/father from a major airport) and one of the higher ranked Denver public schools

https://www.greatschools.org/colorad...entary-School/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 05:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Within ~60-90min to an airport.=Unreasonable expectation.

My vote would be for the Glenwood, Carbondale, Basalt area.
Yes, for a true regional airport (direct flights) afraid SLC (park City), Reno,(Tahoe), or Portland (Mt Hood) gets you 1 hr to the flight gate and the downhill starting gate.

For CO, and generally good and accessible Mt town I would look to Carbondale. (I prefer college towns for varied activities and economy).

Schools... Consider the freedom of 'unschooling' while in a desirable mtn town. Our kids loved having everyday free while living in a Swiss ski town, and they were employed at ski areas while in Jr high (unschooled) and during high school age (free college, night shift, so they could ski all day). No sense burning precious daylight sitting in a classroom, when you could be getting paid to ski!

Ours graduated Magna in STEM (pre age 20), so skiing instead of attending School didn't seem to hurt them too bad academically. Several peers did likewise. They had a blast and became very good skiers and boarders. And all paid 100% for their college and housing and cars and insurance and skiing. No complaints. (That's nice to be able to say about your teenagers!)

Old 07-20-2020, 06:42 PM

317 posts, read 475,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Schools... Consider the freedom of 'unschooling' while in a desirable mtn town. Our kids loved having everyday free while living in a Swiss ski town, and they were employed at ski areas while in Jr high (unschooled) and during high school age (free college, night shift, so they could ski all day). No sense burning precious daylight sitting in a classroom, when you could be getting paid to ski!
That's great advice for anyone looking to raise a family in a Swiss ski town in 1974.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:49 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,565,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
That's great advice for anyone looking to raise a family in a Swiss ski town in 1974.
There’s the box.

There’s outside the box.

Then there’s stealth, with an airplane and a time machine.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:58 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,876,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
For CO, and generally good and accessible Mt town I would look to Carbondale. (I prefer college towns for varied activities and economy).
Yeah, and that view of Mt. Sopris isnt so bad either.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
Plenty (in fact millions) more unschooling today than 1974. (When I was still burning daylight in a rotten Colorado High School myself). Certainly the worst use of my time was spent (briefly) in Colorado Jr and High schools.

So many great learning options today, that I would not let traditional USA style school get in the way of effective learning, or limit my desired living options, or how or where I would choose to raise my family.

Go find a village that best fits your family and values. There are plenty.

Switzerland, France, Andorra, Spain, Canada were all great for skiing and our kids learned a lot while unschooling there. I offered Colorado to them too... But they declined. (We had arrangements made to move to Winter Park).

Old 07-21-2020, 08:41 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
There’s the box.

There’s outside the box.

Then there’s stealth, with an airplane and a time machine.
And a magic bus.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:12 AM

138 posts, read 266,610 times
if you move to a mountain town, you will change your attitude quickly about not wanting quiet shoulder seasons.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherUserHere View Post
I’m kicking off research for where to move my family. Growing up in Denver, but not in the mountains, my dream was to live full-time in a mountain town. I’m now at a point where this can be a reality, but I need your help finding the right place. ..... Here’s my general criteria
  • A town that feels alive year around. I realize most places have seasonal spikes but I don’t want to live somewhere that is a ghost town on the shoulder months. Amazing winter AND summer vibe is a must. Skiing, snowboarding, biking, hiking.
  • Great place to raise a family (kids 13 & younger) which means good public schools, family friendly neighborhoods, and plenty of families who live year round.
  • Within ~60-90min to an airport.
  • My housing budget is <1.25M for 4-5 bd house with some room to go higher for a perfect house.
  • Responsible growth. ...
  • Middle of the road politics. ...
Best mountain town to raise a family year round?

Well.... we could just tell the OP, - not possible (as has been said many times)

or... we could offer 'out-of-the-('normal')box' solutions. Which are highly disdained in this forum due to the OP remark. Growing up in Denver, but not in the mountains,

BTW, there happen to be 'Other Mtn towns' in the world... and even nearby Colorado. Some with good schools and even airports!

Amazing

Old 07-22-2020, 09:43 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,971,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowave View Post
if you move to a mountain town, you will change your attitude quickly about not wanting quiet shoulder seasons.
So dang true, and that's not a thing anymore in Breckenridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado