Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 01:17 PM

6 posts, read 8,427 times

Advertisements

I’m kicking off research for where to move my family. Growing up in Denver, but not in the mountains, my dream was to live full-time in a mountain town. I’m now at a point where this can be a reality, but I need your help finding the right place. I’ve done web searches and found plenty of article but they seem to be sterile based on stats where it's clear the author hasn’t visited or lived in the cities. They don’t include human observations.

So hopefully the internet can help narrow down. Here’s my general criteria
  • A town that feels alive year around. I realize most places have seasonal spikes but I don’t want to live somewhere that is a ghost town on the shoulder months. Amazing winter AND summer vibe is a must. Skiing, snowboarding, biking, hiking.
  • Great place to raise a family (kids 13 & younger) which means good public schools, family friendly neighborhoods, and plenty of families who live year round.
  • Within ~60-90min to an airport.
  • My housing budget is <1.25M for 4-5 bd house with some room to go higher for a perfect house.
  • Responsible growth. I understand that growth is key to the health of small/medium towns but my early research shows that some towns are (in my opinion) irresponsibility adding housing units without any regard for infra (roads, schools)
  • Middle of the road politics. I’d prefer to say away from super left or super right political monocultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 06:09 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
"Within 60 to 90 minutes to an airport" really restricts this a lot. I assume you mean a major airport, like DIA or COS, and not the little regional airport that we have in Buena Vista. Heck, you could be in the Denver metro area and be 60 minutes from a major airport. Also, when you would need to fly would be a big factor. If you are in a mountain town and need to fly out on a Sunday, your travel time could be doubled or tripled due to the number of people returning to Denver from the mountains.

You could consider someplace like Evergreen, which is a real town that doesn't experience seasonal spikes. Near enough to Denver but far enough to be out of the big city.

Look at the recent thread titled: "Moving to RURAL Colorado (Denver, Colorado Springs: sales, insurance, home)"

Old 07-18-2020, 06:26 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,693,917 times
I don’t think a place like this exists. For one Colorado generally has bad schools. Mountain towns are notoriously seasonal and attract young, underpaid, party kids more than families. Maybe Carbondale or Glenwood with access to Aspen, but your housing choices will be compromised.

Old 07-18-2020, 06:35 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,774,574 times
There are a lot of mountain towns to sort thru. I am not the one to rank the big set. I will comment briefly on Durango and ask how far you are willing to be from the ski lifts? Durango would work for some, all things considered, while others might say the 30 mile drive to Purgatory lifts (from center of Durango - could live north of town) is not acceptable. The airport might be enough or not. Politics are pretty middle of road for Colorado and probably not frontburner enough. Development is not that well planned but not unbearable, yet.

If Durango is not the right one, you've got Summit County, Vail Valley and Steamboat among the main contenders.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-18-2020 at 06:57 PM..

Old 07-18-2020, 06:48 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
Crested Butte

Old 07-18-2020, 06:57 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,693,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Crested Butte
I was going to suggest this, but then I remembered one middle aged mom I knew who lived there year round. Her stories weren’t pretty.

Old 07-19-2020, 04:50 AM

6,822 posts, read 10,512,019 times
For your first two criteria, and possibly might also help with the political criteria a bit - you might want to consider the college mountain/mountain-ish towns -

Gunnison (Western),
Alamosa (Adams),
Durango (Ft. Lewis),
or one of the towns with a residential Colorado Mountain College campus
(Leadville,
Steamboat Springs,
Glenwood Springs).

Old 07-19-2020, 05:55 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,298,238 times
For me if would be Summit County. Breckenridge first, then Dillon/Silverthorne, then Frisco. DIA is 100 miles from Breckenridge, which is 90 minutes or less on good roads and average traffic.

We've had a family home in Keystone for almost 35 years. My parents still spend at least two months a year there.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:00 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I was going to suggest this, but then I remembered one middle aged mom I knew who lived there year round. Her stories weren’t pretty.
I have a friend raising a young family up there. They love it.

I also have friends in Basalt. I think those would be my two choices. No way I would look in Summit County and have to deal with all the Denver traffic every weekend.

Thinking more as I type, Basalt/Carbondale would be my first choice.

Old 07-19-2020, 05:54 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,701 times
Within ~60-90min to an airport.=Unreasonable expectation.

My vote would be for the Glenwood, Carbondale, Basalt area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado