Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 02:35 PM

1,560 posts, read 2,402,675 times

Advertisements

I would love to sell my CO house right now but I can't find a house where I want to move to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 03:49 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,011,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Appraisals are a problem.
In what way .... getting an appraiser to come out, or having the property appraised to match the sales price?

Old 01-16-2021, 03:54 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,011,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I would love to sell my CO house right now but I can't find a house where I want to move to.
Probably best to hold on to your current property until you have the property you'll be moving to under contract. I didn't do that, and now I'm wishing I would have been more patient. Ah, the wisdom of hindsight ( more accurately, the self-torture of hindsight! )

Unless of course you are moving to an area where prices are significantly lower than where you live now. That would make it at least a bit less stressful.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Old 01-16-2021, 04:00 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,684,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
How does it compare to your home in Buena Vista? Are the 2 markets seeing similar changes?
OMG, Buena Vista is insane! Four years ago we bought a vacant lot in our subdivision for $26,000; today they are selling for $60,000 - $65,000. And selling quickly. I think all the 20 lots that were developer-owned have sold for asking price in the last six months. New 1,500 square foot houses on a 7,000 square foot lot in the adjacent subdivision are selling for over $400,000.

No, we don't want to sell our vacant lot. We bought it as an investment, but also to protect our views. If the market takes a downturn, we may regret not selling. Especially if we can make a $40,000 profit!

It used to be that people were buying second homes in BV and using them as vacation rentals. I think there are a lot more people moving in as first home and working remotely. Not as many retirees as in the past.

Old 01-16-2021, 04:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,758 posts, read 58,150,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
3 retired friends from NoCO sold in the last 2 yrs and moved to small towns in Western NE and KS. Each state has burdensome taxes, but not terrible once you have no income !

Their prairie homes were really inexpensive, well under $100k with large shops and very large lots / small acreage.

I would suspect some eastern CO towns would still be inexpensive too. Such as my parent's hometown of Haxtun.

With high valuations will follow high property taxes. My 80 YO neighbor was just discussing that their property taxes are nearing 50% of their annual income. Thus... why I had to leave CO in 1970's, but the high taxes have followed in all western states that don't have Prop 13, displacing many thousands of elderly home owners.. (The very people who created the desirable communities can no longer afford to live there.)

Old 01-16-2021, 04:48 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,643,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
3 retired friends from NoCO sold in the last 2 yrs and moved to small towns in Western NE and KS. Each state has burdensome taxes, but not terrible once you have no income !

Their prairie homes were really inexpensive, well under $100k with large shops and very large lots / small acreage.

I would suspect some eastern CO towns would still be inexpensive too. Such as my parent's hometown of Haxtun.

With high valuations will follow high property taxes. My 80 YO neighbor was just discussing that their property taxes are nearing 50% of their annual income. Thus... why I had to leave CO in 1970's, but the high taxes have followed in all western states that don't have Prop 13, displacing many thousands of elderly home owners.. (The very people who created the desirable communities can no longer afford to live there.)
Retirees are not going to move to western NE or KS in any large numbers, however... Retirees that need specialized medical care will be out of luck in many cases, unless they live close to a regional center town. You are correct neither state is retiree friendly and the climate is worse than Colorado.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:56 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,973,427 times
Not surprised by the numbers coming out of Summit. In Leadville though, I continue to be shocked by what people are asking for what they put up, especially compared to what I paid for mine just 2 years ago.

BV is surprising as well and Salida is just appalling.

I continue to think it's mostly driven by those who can now work from home indefinitely. I don't blame them one bit; I'd try to do it too.

Old 01-17-2021, 07:17 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,067,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
In what way .... getting an appraiser to come out, or having the property appraised to match the sales price?
Appraisers in my area are overworked and in short supply as are inspectors. Lots of cash deals happening on multi-million dollar homes.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,758 posts, read 58,150,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Appraisers in my area are overworked and in short supply as are inspectors. Lots of cash deals happening on multi-million dollar homes.
Yes, cash deals preferred. No appraiser required.

Know what you want to buy. Bring the cash, directly negotiate with the seller... Done deal in just a couple days. (As soon as you can get a clear title / deed). Less competition of buyers and no-one yanking your chain for inspections and other time consuming stuff.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:47 PM

2,495 posts, read 2,717,971 times
Cash deals should still include an inspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado