Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 02:11 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,135,479 times

Advertisements

Mike, if this is too political, please remove it

In Boebert's District, as Elsewhere, Democrats Surge into GOP Primary

Quote:
Claudia Cunningham had never voted for a Republican in her life. She swore she couldn’t or her father would roll over in his grave. But ahead of the Colorado primary on Tuesday, she did the once-unthinkable: registered as unaffiliated so that she could vote in the GOP primary against her congresswoman, Lauren Boebert.

So did Ward Hauenstein, the mayor pro tem of Aspen; Sara Sanderman, a teacher from Glenwood Springs; Christopher Arndt, a writer and financier in Telluride; Gayle Frazzetta, a primary care doctor in Montrose; and Karen Zink, a nurse practitioner south of Durango.

Driven by fears of extremism and worries about what they see as an authoritarianism embodied in Boebert, thousands of Democrats in the sprawling 3rd Congressional District of Colorado have rushed to shore up her Republican challenger, state Sen. Don Coram. Their aim is not to do what best for Democrats but what they think is best for democracy. . .
What do you think about this, what did you do? - (fwiw I switched to independent a few years ago when the change was made to let us vote in either primary if registered independent, just to cut down on campaign phone calls from party)

Old 06-24-2022, 02:33 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
I'll leave it here a while so our regular Colorado members can post any thoughts but it won't be long until non-regulars start piling on at which time I'll move it to elections forum.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-24-2022, 02:33 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Mike, if this is too political, please remove it

In Boebert's District, as Elsewhere, Democrats Surge into GOP Primary

What do you think about this, what did you do? - (fwiw I switched to independent a few years ago when the change was made to let us vote in either primary if registered independent, just to cut down on campaign phone calls from party)

This Independent is voting in the GOP primary and has sent money. Not to Boebert. Apparently, my county has an unusual number of unaffiliated voters even though the county reliably votes blue in the national. (Our County, CD3)

Old 06-24-2022, 02:58 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Yeah, sorry to say, I live in Boebert's district. Both my roommate and I were registered Democrats, but we switched to Independents so that we could vote against Boebert in the primaries.

Boebert has completely gone over the top. She has encouraged the formation of various "Patriots" groups here in rural Colorado including the town that I now live in. The local biker gang has decided to re-image themselves and now call themselves the Montezuma County Patriots. They have been mostly involved in driving around in downtown on Saturdays either on their bikes or in trucks flying the Trump flag. These so-called "Patriots" have a strong interest in breaking up peaceful marches by the members of the local Episcopalian Church who were in support of BLM, gay and trans people, etc.

The Patriots got into the act by brandishing their second amendment rights at the Episcopalians and jeering at them, called them names I'm not allowed to use here and even attacking one or two parishioners (who were NOT displaying their second amendment rights) - very nasty and upsetting to many if not most people who live here.

Of course, Boebart supports this biker gang and praises them for their deeds. I really hope that we can vote her out in the midterms.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:08 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
I don’t like it, but I don’t see any way to avoid it. It’s legal to do so, even though I’ve seen examples going to the other extreme - trying to get the ‘least electable’ candidates onto the ballot, so that they can be defeated in November. To me, that’s like playing with fire. What if the plan fails and you are now represented by that fringe candidate you were so sure would not win?

I’m not a fan of open primaries even though I’m registered as an unaffiliated in Colorado. The whole point was that I did NOT want to align with a party, so by extension of that, I should not have access to activities that are related to parties. I’ve always felt as though if someone is interested enough in what is going on within a political party to the point where they want to help choose candidates who appear on the ballot during the general election, they should join the party.

Just my opinion. Obviously it doesn’t matter, as open primaries exist here. And even if they didn’t, anyone who really wanted to do so could change their party affiliation anyway so that they could participate in primaries.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
This Independent is voting in the GOP primary and has sent money. Not to Boebert. Apparently, my county has an unusual number of unaffiliated voters even though the county reliably votes blue in the national. (Our County, CD3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Yeah, sorry to say, I live in Boebert's district.. . . I really hope that we can vote her out in the midterms.
as all I can do is hope, not vote (not in her district, of course) it's good to hear you're doing your parts to try to make it happen

Old 06-24-2022, 03:13 PM

Quote:
as all I can do is hope, not vote (not in her district, of course) it's good to hear you're doing your parts to try to make it happen
Honest question: if the shoe were on the other foot and Republicans were organizing something like this to try to remove a popular Democratic candidate, would you still support it?

Like I said in my post, what’s going on is legal, but I don’t know if I like it and would necessarily support it.

(I don’t live in her district either, so her name won’t be on my ballot)

Old 06-24-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Honest question: if the shoe were on the other foot and Republicans were organizing something like this to try to remove a popular Democratic candidate, would you still support it?
Like I said in my post, what’s going on is legal, but I don’t know if I like it and would necessarily support it.

(I don’t live in her district either, so her name won’t be on my ballot)
I don't know if i like it or not either; that's mostly why i asked the question, hoping to hear from our colorado posters who are in the situation, and have had to decide what to do, as well as what all coloradans on the forum think.

( In what post did you say "what’s going on is legal, but I don’t know if I like it and would necessarily support it." I haven't seen it - have a link?)

Old 06-24-2022, 03:27 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Although I've never voted R in my life (all in Massachusetts) I have no qualm about voting for the moderate, reasonable R who is primarying Boebert. It's just a fact that no D will ever win in this district, plus those who are running are weak candidates. I hear a lot of people say they vote the person, not the party, and I see nothing wrong with voting *against* a seditionist.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I don't know if i like it or not either; that's mostly why i asked the question, hoping to hear from our colorado posters who are in the situation, and have had to decide what to do, as well as what all coloradans on the forum think.

( In what post did you say "what’s going on is legal, but I don’t know if I like it and would necessarily support it." I haven't seen it - have a link?)
Yeah, I feel like this could set/is setting a weird precedent. Politics is nasty lately and I’m not sure this helps.

I don’t have a specific source that I was trying to cite, but what I meant by that is that unaffiliated voters who may usually lean Democratic but are choosing to vote in the Republican primary is perfectly legal. An unaffiliated voter can choose a ballot and send it back in. As much as (I think I) disagree with the strategy (it just seems like you’re doing something in bad faith, you know?), it’s legal to pick a ballot and send it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado