Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 07:46 AM

335 posts, read 422,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I had a manufacturing business in Denver and we regularly had to import folks from the Midwest. - the skill set pool did not exist in Colorado.
So as an employer try training and moving someone only to have them quit. We tried tiered incentives along with above market pay, benefits and all that. Some people truly do not want to work.
Somehow I doubt that somebody that moved from someplace else to Colorado, for a job, isn't willing to work.

My understanding is that a lot of manufacturing is 12 hour days, 60 hour weeks, and rotating shifts. Maybe yours wasn't like that, but I can understand not wanting to do that for long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2023, 08:15 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,528,599 times
Yes, and I suspect those people found jobs that pay the same that they liked better and found more conducive to a balanced lifestyle - our unemployment rate is very low - those people are very likely working, just not working in jobs they find to either not pay enough or to be undesirable, etc. But I do agree there can be a qualifications mismatch between workers and employers' expectations in some fields. Ultimately, it becomes the burden of the employer to train up employees if they just don't exist out there pre-qualified, and yes, that can be an expensive endeavor and not everyone trained will stay. We're seeing a power shift in labor - it used to be that anyone had to be thankful for a job that paid enough no matter how much the job sucked.

But now, employers can no longer expect employees to be loyal to them or to stay if they don't genuinely like the job or if they can find something else that meets their needs that they like better. Employers can whine about that all they want, but it is really just turnabout-is-fair-play time. This isn't going away any time soon - birth rates are not getting higher, immigration policies are not letting more people in imminently, etc.

Old 02-12-2023, 08:51 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,395,510 times
Pahn, I would say your understanding is incomplete.

Yes, there are manufacturers out there who have rotating and/or offset shifts and there are numerous shift configurations of 5x8, 4x10, 3x12 and day, evening, or overnight options and some with overtime opportunities. It is very easy to find a shift that suites your needs.

To say that a lot of them require 12 hours shifts for 60 hour weeks would be inaccurate. It would be accurate to say that they are very process driven industry with exacting specifications that require regular attendance, motivation to succeed, and attention to detail that is above average.

As a result of those requirements, they tend to be a very dynamic industry serving a wide variety of fields that tends to pay well with good benefits. There are a number of people who try it simply for the pay and find they don't want to put out the effort required and leave.

Having been in manufacturing my entire career, nearly every place I have worked has put an emphasis on taking care of their people. With the offshoring of manufacturing in the 00s, it has created a couple of decade gap in skills because there are so many young people out there that don't understand the requirements and benefits of working in manufacturing, if they think of it at all. I find many do not.

Old 02-12-2023, 09:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,751 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I had a manufacturing business in Denver and we regularly had to import folks from the Midwest. - the skill set pool did not exist in Colorado.
So as an employer try training and moving someone only to have them quit. We tried tiered incentives along with above market pay, benefits and all that. Some people truly do not want to work.
It would be interesting to know how many C-D posters (or voters) are job creators, I'll surmise.... Very, very few. Thus they do not understand what risk and responsibility an employer is taking on with a new hire. Now, besides having to teach them to read, write, add and subtract, respectfully communicate, be kind to customers, not wreck your company vehicles or $500,000 machines... you also have to wonder if this new employee is gonna go nuts and kill your family, coworkers, or customers. Or find some bizarre reason to sue your business or go to L&I with labor complaints.

Then there is Colorado school systems lack of instructional academics. And legalized MJ in a dangerous work environment, and CDL random drug tests (with employer pays for) ... .Might be easier to move your business. (Overseas!)

Old 02-12-2023, 10:07 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,790,707 times
It doesn’t do any good if there are 2 jobs available for every unemployed person in CO if the jobs don’t pay enough to live.

Old 02-12-2023, 11:59 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,528,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Then there is Colorado school systems lack of instructional academics.
From someone who actually works in schools, this is simply inaccurate propaganda. In reality, CO public schools are offering more career prep and more high-level academics preparation than they have at any point in history, all while students are coming to school with greater needs than ever before. But we are facing a crisis in our schools of people leaving the career and no one else stepping up to take their place, in part because of this kind of propaganda and its consequences on top of all the other things that make the job burnout rate extremely high, especially since COVID.

Old 02-12-2023, 06:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,751 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
From someone who actually works in schools, this is simply inaccurate propaganda. ...
BTW: I'm a 4th generation educator myself, and employer in CO too.
CO is not providing such a stellar education.

That's the truth, your experience may vary, probably on the size of your payroll you provide using CO educated employees.

Old 02-12-2023, 07:46 PM

2,489 posts, read 2,710,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
Somehow I doubt that somebody that moved from someplace else to Colorado, for a job, isn't willing to work.

My understanding is that a lot of manufacturing is 12 hour days, 60 hour weeks, and rotating shifts. Maybe yours wasn't like that, but I can understand not wanting to do that for long.
8 hour work day, two, yes two microwaves in the break room. An occasional happy hour…and yet they’ll look you in the eye and say I quit. It happens. Why? A lot just want to move here and have someone else pay for it. You can doubt something else, but my experience is true. So believe it.

Old 02-13-2023, 01:27 PM

432 posts, read 415,816 times
I remember 20 years ago Steamboat was building The Grand hotel and it would bring 1,000+ new jobs to the valley.
Didn't matter that there wasn't 1,000 people around, or 1,000 housing units if they moved there, or the 2,000 other unfilled jobs in the valley.
It was bizarre to be around so much 'job creation' without a lick of thought whether someone was going to be there to take it.

Old 02-16-2023, 10:02 AM

75 posts, read 111,677 times
Mentally ill folks can and do maintain employment. While access to mental health services can be challenging, it is becoming easier than ever to do so, and maintaining employment is often part of the healing and well-being process. I have to think there is more to this than that.
My young daughter is always puzzled when we see the homeless begging for money as they stand at an intersection with four corner businesses advertising boldly for help wanted.
Importing employees from the midwest sounds very challenging as the cost of living is exponentially higher here in CO. Kuddos to you COcheesehead for pulling that off!
I have to agree with Willy702.... there are a ton of layers to the mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado