Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2023, 01:40 AM

7 posts, read 7,066 times

Advertisements

Does anyone live in Colorado City or Rye? Just wondering what it's like actually living there. Considering moving there but don't exactly know much about utilities, internet, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2023, 08:21 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Did you do any research before posting?
The population of Rye is 250. What do you think it is like?

Old 12-03-2023, 08:47 PM

317 posts, read 473,811 times
OP, please don't mind Dave. He's being a jerk.

There are several threads on here about Colorado City and Rye. They contain some basic info that is helpful, if outdated. Most haven't been updated in awhile.

I haven't spent a ton of time in Colorado City or Rye, but Colorado City is definitely growing. Lots of construction (relative to the size of the area) when I drove through earlier this year. There are issues with their water system.

If you're looking at Colorado City specifically and are thinking of buying raw land, definitely do your research before you buy. Many lots have no access to any utilities and cannot be developed due to their lack of water and prohibitions against wells on most parcels. The subdivision is massive and only a few sections are actively being developed, but those that are are quite nice. The lots in these sections are more expensive, but still reasonable. I can't speak to utility prices, but I do know that Colorado City has had a lot of issues lately with its water supply due to aging infrastructure. A lot of residents would not cook with or drink it for some time until the issues were resolved. There was also an issue with the post office and residents had to go to Pueblo to get their mail. I believe that has since been resolved, too.

Still, Colorado City is a nice area in my opinion, though. There are restaurants, a library, golf and disc golf course, some hiking trails, a lake, a pool, a few schools and some medical providers. For being 20 minutes from Pueblo, it feels a world away (no offense to Pueblo, just a totally different vibe).

Old 12-03-2023, 09:05 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perustaja View Post
Does anyone live in Colorado City or Rye? Just wondering what it's like actually living there. Considering moving there but don't exactly know much about utilities, internet, etc.

Perustaja, welcome to the Colorado Forum!

I've brought up a thread you would be interested in--San Isabel and Wet Mountains of Colorado--PHOTO TOUR.

McGowdog has been a long time member on this message board and started the thread in 2008. It's been years since I have been through there, beautiful area.

Old 12-04-2023, 07:55 AM

6,813 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Colorado City and Rye get a fair bit of snow in winter, especially Rye, usually. Both are small, in particular Rye, and you will probably need to go up to Pueblo sometimes for things they don't offer. Colorado City is a little more like a real town than Rye. I think Rye has one or two 'downtown' streets of about a block or two in length, maybe one or two small restaurants, and not a lot of other business. You'll experience some high-plains desert habitat, some pinyon-juniper, and some ponderosa/fir depending on where you are exactly. I have a friend who lives in the Rye area and likes it for its quiet, but with that it can also get a bit quirky, like Bishop's Castle, etc.

Old 12-15-2023, 12:55 AM

7 posts, read 7,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
OP, please don't mind Dave. He's being a jerk.

There are several threads on here about Colorado City and Rye. They contain some basic info that is helpful, if outdated. Most haven't been updated in awhile.

I haven't spent a ton of time in Colorado City or Rye, but Colorado City is definitely growing. Lots of construction (relative to the size of the area) when I drove through earlier this year. There are issues with their water system.

If you're looking at Colorado City specifically and are thinking of buying raw land, definitely do your research before you buy. Many lots have no access to any utilities and cannot be developed due to their lack of water and prohibitions against wells on most parcels. The subdivision is massive and only a few sections are actively being developed, but those that are are quite nice. The lots in these sections are more expensive, but still reasonable. I can't speak to utility prices, but I do know that Colorado City has had a lot of issues lately with its water supply due to aging infrastructure. A lot of residents would not cook with or drink it for some time until the issues were resolved. There was also an issue with the post office and residents had to go to Pueblo to get their mail. I believe that has since been resolved, too.

Still, Colorado City is a nice area in my opinion, though. There are restaurants, a library, golf and disc golf course, some hiking trails, a lake, a pool, a few schools and some medical providers. For being 20 minutes from Pueblo, it feels a world away (no offense to Pueblo, just a totally different vibe).
Buying land and building doesn't seem appealing to me, a coworker had a very bad experience. I do like that it feels very different from Pueblo for being a short drive. Was wondering if anyone knew specifically about internet and, now, water. Seeing some homes there this weekend. I live and work in Pueblo.

I'll make sure to ask about water and internet when I'm out looking. I don't dislike Pueblo, just figure for the price the drive may be a fair tradeoff. I've also seen way too many scorpions at work, though I know they are in both CO City and Rye (and the springs for that matter).

Old 12-20-2023, 10:18 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Did you do any research before posting?
The population of Rye is 250. What do you think it is like?
Rye High School has over 270 students.

Colorado City and Rye and even San Isabel go together. You can get from Colorado City, Mile Marker 74 on I-25 to Pueblo Colorado, Mile Marker 90, in about 22 minutes at 75 mph.

Beulah is around the hill, but not really the same community.

Colorado City and Rye have probably decent utilities for the most part, except for one really bad downfall, water.

They probably have very fast fiber optic internet, decent TV, access to nG, propane, wood burning and pellet stove heating, sewer systems depending where you live, septic systems in others, running water, well water with cisterns, but there again, the drinking water has been very bad lately. Are you willing to haul water? Maybe Rye is better than Colorado City.

You should look into that.

If you like to golf, they have a pretty nice golf course, if they aren't in too much of a drought at the time.

The Wet Mountains are very nice. You are probably at least an hour away from CoSprings where you will find real shopping and decent medical.

I would say the whole community is close to 5000 residents, but some services are lacking there. They really rely on Pueblo being near by. Place to maybe retire or place to give kids a decent affordable education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Perustaja, welcome to the Colorado Forum!

I've brought up a thread you would be interested in--San Isabel and Wet Mountains of Colorado--PHOTO TOUR.

McGowdog has been a long time member on this message board and started the thread in 2008. It's been years since I have been through there, beautiful area.
Thank you H.

Rare to see a post about CC and Rye. Seen some for La Junta and Lamar lately.

Folks must be sick of the thought of spending 400k for a shed. I don't blame them. But a lot of rich Texans own land up in Rye and up and into San Isabel along Hwy 165. Not cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado