Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 12:04 AM

447 posts, read 1,607,023 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, now that A-Basin is closed ...........Do any of you guys Back Country ski in the Summer, so you can scratch that itch that you get in-between seasons?

I was wondering where some good areas were that a new-comer can hike/ski this summer.......I already know where/of St. Mary's Glacier but not much about it either......any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 08:06 AM

355 posts, read 1,404,485 times
loveland pass....i havent been there for 2 weeks but it was still ride able last i saw?

asspen is open this weekend

Old 06-10-2008, 10:16 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,494,022 times
So did you hit up St. Mary's yet?

You can ski pretty much anywhere that's in the National Forests that has snow.

Loveland Pass is an easy, if crowded, option. Lot of the couloirs along the Divide are popular, e.g. Professor, SFB, etc. Lots and lots more options everywhere. Just go to Rocky Mountain NP, Indian Peaks WA, Summit or Eagle County, pick a snow-covered peak/area, climb it, and ski. For most of the these, you're looking at a climb/hike of 2,000+ feet.

Some things to consider:
  • Wet slides can still happen, and with the thin coverage, can mean really bad news if you're carried onto rocks. Get some avy training/knowledge/gear. Timing is everything in the BC -- what's safe to ski at 9am may be unsafe at 11am.
  • Get backcountry gear. If you're skiing, you can probably get to many BC skiing by just hiking, but it's best to get some skins and AT bindings -- much easier to climb on snow. If you're snowboarding, a splitboard with skins is the best option. Or you can also use snowshoes.
  • Spring/summer snow is variable to say the least. Make sure you're comfortable with it.
  • Route-finding and terrain evaluation (on both ascent and descent) are important in the BC.
  • Just like any other sport, there are common protocols and etiquettes to follow. Learn them. Many of them can help you and others avoid getting hurt (e.g. don't drop in directly above somebody else).
I think I posted this before, but go to the TGR forums to learn more about BC skiing and hook up with people to ski with.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:46 PM

Thanx fuzz, as always.............So you think that St. Mary's is the "safest" area to BC?

And, no I haven't been to St. Mary's yet.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:54 PM

St. Mary's is very safe. You don't really need any avy gear. Watch out for the rocks on the edges though -- sliding into them can be painful. The snow gets pretty sun-cupped through the summer.

http://www.syedfaisal.com/Photo_Albums/StMarysGlacier/Panorama1-large.jpg (broken link)

If St. Mary's is too easy and you're feeling more adventurous, you can climb past the glacier and continue onto James Peak.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
St. Mary's is very safe. You don't really need any avy gear. Watch out for the rocks on the edges though -- sliding into them can be painful. The snow gets pretty sun-cupped through the summer.

If St. Mary's is too easy and you're feeling more adventurous, you can climb past the glacier and continue onto James Peak.
When was this picture taken?

Old 06-10-2008, 01:20 PM

July 30, 2005. It had not been a very snowy winter that year.

The snowfield is actually bigger than it looks. If you look closely at the picture, you'll see a silver bed-frame left of center, to give a sense of scale. Plus some ski tracks along the far edge of the snow.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:40 PM

355 posts, read 1,404,485 times
loveland pass you can hitchhike instead of a hike thats why id mess with the pass over st mary's

Old 06-11-2008, 12:17 AM

Well, I think that I will start with St. Mary's since I have never skied outside of park boundaries.......My family will be visiting this weekend so I will be unable to go to Asspen, or I would be there, no doubt!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado