Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 10:18 PM

7 posts, read 52,030 times

Advertisements

Makes you wonder how anyone survies with all the doom & gloom I spoke to a few people who live in the area that moved from the east coast, they love it. They say it does get "crazy cold", but you get use to it and as long as you bundle up good you are normally fine. The coldest parts of winter just be inside at dark for the most part. They say it's truly an experience living there, the people are nice and time slows down no hustle & bustle every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 09:09 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65 View Post
Makes you wonder how anyone survies with all the doom & gloom I spoke to a few people who live in the area that moved from the east coast, they love it. They say it does get "crazy cold", but you get use to it and as long as you bundle up good you are normally fine. The coldest parts of winter just be inside at dark for the most part. They say it's truly an experience living there, the people are nice and time slows down no hustle & bustle every day.
All true--key words--"if you get used to it." The people who live in the SLV and accept it for what it is--and really do get used to it--love it. I could live there pretty easily, and I have spent a lot of time there. That said, most people don't want to deal with the cold, the relative isolation, lack of "stuff to do" (read: yuppie shopping, etc.), and the pervasive poverty in many areas. It is a lifestyle different from most areas of Colorado, and certainly different from that in Colorado's metro areas. That, in many ways, is a good thing--it may keep the Valley from getting overrun with people. Some of the nicest people I know in Colorado live in or were raised in the SLV.

Still, one has to be realistic about what the SLV is like. Jobs are scarce, pay is low, heating costs are high, most stuff (food, fuel, etc.) costs as much or more than in Denver, and specialized shopping or many specialized medical services will mean a trip to Pueblo, Colorado Springs, Denver, or Albuquerque. That's just the facts of life there.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:08 AM

719 posts, read 2,618,220 times
I'm guessing some of those East Coasters live in those large, peeled log fortresses and have thick wallets.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:48 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
I'm guessing some of those East Coasters live in those large, peeled log fortresses and have thick wallets.
Quite true. There is also a lot of "turnover" in that group. A lot of such retirees have bought up in the Forbes Ranch area, as an example. For awhile, they think it's really neat--some will stick it out for several years. Then they start getting tired of having to make 100-250 mile roundtrips for even pretty basic stuff. If they are older, they get tired of plowing driveways and the like. And, then, a medical issue will eventually crop up that will require either the husband or wife to seek specialized medical treatment, usually only available on the Front Range or in Albuquerque. After some period of having to make multiple trips (often with extended stays) for those types of medical treatment, the "For Sale" sign goes up on the house. For the past several years, there has been an ample supply of "greater fools" to allow such folks to sell out at a profit. I think that cash-rich supply of equity locusts is now well on the way to drying up--probably for good. If the people in those types of "rural-retirement" areas in Colorado have used their home there for a savings account, I suspect that they are about to get a very abrupt, harsh, and rude awakening. Everything that has made that lifestyle possible--plentiful cheap gasoline, cheap heating fuel, cheap transportation of goods to rural areas, even regular postal and parcel service in rural areas--is now reaching an end. Take away all of those "amenities," and rural living far away from established compact towns is going to lose its attractiveness to all but those who HAVE to live there to make a living. Few want to acknowledge that this shift is occurring--especially those who make a living from the status quo (construction, real estate, etc.)--but the signs are everywhere that some tumultuous change is in the wind.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:10 PM

Sockeye, you might be right about this for the majority of people, but in this case you are wrong. The people I spoke to are home schooling simple living people, who are happy not to have massive wealth. They love the valley for what it is and will be the first to advise you it's cold, its a poorer area, but the natural beauty, the vast open spaces, the simpler way fo life with friendly people is what makes it worth it to them.

From what I understand during the warmer months there are more activities than one has time to do, festivals and events. During the colder months community centers seem to take over with movie nights and other get togethers. And form my understanding a lot of the college kids that went their for school often come back to the area later on.

While we're on a subject of huge wallets, look at a SoCal home price and taxes per year. Now take that home and change the price 1/5th and the taxes to 1/20th, I think that can offset some heating costs, don't you?

I compared the price of gas it's no more than 10 cents more a gallon than here in VA, I don't that that's too extreme. Sales taxes are much cheaper than most the country so if food was more expsenive it is somewhat offset by the cheaper taxes. Oh and from my understanding there are no yearly inspections or vehicle emissions to worry about in the valley.

Oh for heating I would look at the new pasisve solar heaters that cost about $600 a piece and seem to work damn well, esp in an area like this with plenty of sun, yeah you have your nights to deal with, but you can offset your days heating esp with 5.5 hours of peak sun light

So like everywhere else in the world there are pros and cons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post

Old 05-25-2010, 03:51 PM

7 posts, read 57,481 times
I have been reading the messages about the cold, cost of living, etc and agree and disagree with it all. I have never spent a "bone chilling cold" day or night in the valley, yet, but do plan on building there. It is a trade off with me. Having spent over 30 years in a very hot state and looking back at those utility bills with water running around $150/mo in the winter when I don't water my foundation and over $330 in the summer watering only the foundation to help prevent cracking walls and ceilings and now over 9 months are hot. I didn't use a sprinkler system but just a soaker hose a few nights a week and the rest of the water is for household use, sparingly, only. I was on a levelized billing plan for electric (homes in that area and most of the areas are total electric) and averaged over $225/mo all year long because I couldn't afford to cool my house (under 1500sf) any other way. Our house at that time was new with all the insulation, etc that was available. The high price of gas and food was about the same or higher than Co Springs. So I guess it's a trade off of over 110 degrees on a daily (midnights still over 100) average over 8 months in a year for very cold days/nights in the valley. Yes, I may decide to high tail it back to the big city but for now it looks good to have a simpler, more realistic lifestyle. Yes, I said realistic. All the amenities and things that the media and social pressures have said we must have to be happy is just not so with me. I believe that happiness lies with being a Christian and having those values first, family, friends, community. I can do without Starbucks, Sushi Bars, Gucci, The Gap, etc. That is just me and I realize that it is not for everyone but I am truly looking forward to living in the valley. All the people we have met and continue to meet have been just honest happy hard working people. I couldn't think of a better place to be.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:14 PM

Well I moved to the valley since I started posting on here. I am one of the luckier ones, I have a decent paying job at the hospital. Last winter seemed to have more snow than the winter before last, but part of that might be my first year was spent in Alamosa and then I bought a home in Trinchera Ranch (Fort Garland). Picked up a horse, some four wheelers and other things to take advantage of the great outdoors, the wind does get annoying some times, but its a beautiful place to live.

I learned a lot from reading here and the coloradolandcheap website it really helped prep me for the area.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:23 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,126,349 times
Glad you like it! I used to live in Saguache. It can get cold but I like the cold. Summer isn't really hot and is pretty mild. My SIL's family still resides in Saguache and the surrounding area. And wouldn't you know my current assistant principal here in Williamsburg goes to Saguache annually to hunt.
Hope you get the chance to explore the surrounding communities and go to some auctions. You will really meet locals from the area at the auctions.
Enjoy the slower pace of life!

Old 06-09-2010, 06:38 AM

7 posts, read 57,481 times
Thanks Stang65 and Froggin4colorado. My husband's job also lets us live anywhere and we have picked the valley. Your insights are valuable to me and I do appreciate the input. Keep it comin'! We are going to be trying to find something to rent in the Valley, later on this year when our current lease expires, while we decide on what, when, etc to build on our property. Any input on where to look for renting will be gratefully appreciated. Again thanks for the positive and helpful comments. Good luck to all.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:30 AM

1 posts, read 572 times
It's a quiet place for sure , lots of really down to earth good people there my near future has me building my final home in the SLV, snow , cold or whatever comes my way is so much more enjoyable than waiting at a red light for 10-15 cycles in Dallas everyday ! And English isn't rare language !!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado