Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 7,023 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have the opportunity to move to either Grand Junction or Fort Collins within the next year. I was wondering how the two places compared? We are both in our late twenties, no kids (yet), and I am a dancer and teacher looking for those types of opportunities. Any information would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 10:37 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,467,952 times
Ten years ago, I would have said Grand Junction. Today, given the choice of the two, I would pick Fort Collins. In those 10 years, both places have grown wildly (and, in many ways, badly). Both are medium-sized cities that are getting big city problems. Fort Collins, though, is the home of Colorado State Univeristy, and has a fair amount of cultural activities for a city its size. Grand Junction has much smaller Mesa Colllege, and has relatively few cultural amenities--reflective of its smaller population. If you love the outdoors, both places offer some great areas nearby, admittely less crowded ones near Grand Junction. Some people prefer Grand Junction's "milder" climate, but I didn't like the heat in that area--and I lived there for a lot of years. Fort Collins' biggest negative is that it is rapidly sprawling into the great Front Range blob of auto-dependent suburbia. So, my final choice would probably be "neither of the above," but were I forced to choose, I would probably head for Fort Collins.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:11 AM

38 posts, read 144,433 times
The job market in FC is horrible and very very competitive for teachers.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessame10 View Post
The job market in FC is horrible and very very competitive for teachers.
Teaching jobs are competitive in most all of Colorado. The biggest job opportunities in Grand Junction are in the gas fields--not exactly the career field chosen by the OP.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:49 AM

676 posts, read 2,796,546 times
The plus of living in Ft. Collins is the variety of medium sized towns that are all really close to each other such as loveland, estes park etc.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:48 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,994,804 times
Only you can know for sure which of the 2 places you would like the best. Having lived in Grand Junction for the past 18 months, I'm happy to be here. I've never visited Ft Collins, so I cannot offer you a comparison. The best thing you can do for yourselves is to visit both places to get a gut level feeling for each one. In regard to teaching jobs, please read my previous post ( #2 ) in another thread. I wish you the best in whatever place you choose.

blessings.....Franco

Old 12-20-2007, 04:32 PM

423 posts, read 1,959,296 times
Fort Collins is along the front range with several larger cities close by. I read your past as you teach dancing, Is that correct? I have not personally lived in Grand Junction but I have heard that the cost of living is a little higher than Fort Collins. I am not positive about that though so maybe someone else on this sight can give you some insight. Fort Collins has great schools and lots to do. I agree that you should explore both cities and see which is right for you.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
I agree with the above. If you're interested in teaching dance, look particularly for dance schools in the two areas. My guess would be there are more in Ft. Collins, or at least more in the general area, but I could be wrong. Have been in the past.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:31 PM

3 posts, read 12,343 times
My husband and I are looking to re-locate to Ft. Collins in Jan 08. How is the job market for executive administrative work as I may have to go back to work after our move. What are the average hourly/salary rates in this area? Can we make a living in Ft. Collins? Are there many HOMES for rent as we would rather rent first before buying. Is there anything either positive or negative to know about Ft. Collins? We both love the outdoor life and are looking forward to seeing the four seasons! How is the crime rate in Ft. Collins? What part of town is best to live in? We are in our mid 40's is this a popular age bracket for this area?

Old 12-23-2007, 09:36 PM

Positive: Nice clean community, not a huge amount of crime, close to nice mountain areas.

Negative: Not a great job market these days, growing too fast, sprawl, traffic, too close to the rest of the Denver metro suburban "blob."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado