Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 05:04 PM

5 posts, read 52,616 times

Advertisements

Hi

My husband and I are late twenties and have 4 kids under 8. I have been doing some research on CO since he really wants to move there. I have never been yet but we plan to come out soon so i can see it.

I am looking for an area that is safe, has great schools (Douglas County is good from what i have read) and in our price range under 325K.

How is the job market?? My hubby does kitchen and bath remodeling and sales, runs his own business but wants out.

Also what are the property taxes like out there? We pay 7500 a year and it makes me sick! We are super house poor right now

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Cheryl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 06:00 PM

6 posts, read 30,018 times
Try and get into the Cherry Creek school district if you can. You'll find homes more affordable if you get further east and north from Highlands Ranch, but try to stay as far south as possible for the better schools. I can't speak to Castle Rock.

Taxes on a $325,000 home would be around $2800/year

Old 05-17-2007, 08:28 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Castle Rock & Parker would be cheaper than HR. Very affluent area. Cheapest housing in Douglas County is in Acres Green or way out in the boonies...

Old 05-17-2007, 09:05 PM

353 posts, read 504,092 times
Parker, Castle Rock, and Highlands Ranch are all some of the nicer areas in town--though you certainly don't need a six-figure income to live there. It's worth a look, anyway.

Your family sounds a lot like mine--we've got three with one on the way--we're in Lakewood/Littleton area and it's extremely kid-friendly. Some parts of those suburbs are expensive, some not, and some in between.

Property taxes--taxes generally--are some of the lowest in the country. Though our silly governor just hatched an illegal plan to raise property taxes without voter approval, taxes are still low and very family-friendly.

Good luck!

Old 05-19-2007, 07:17 AM

15 posts, read 106,643 times
You can't go wrong with Castle Rock, Parker or Highlands Ranch. HR is definitely more in town if that's important. We chose Castle Rock over Parker because we liked the proximity to I-25 better. Your choices to get to I-25 from Parker are Lincoln (difficult in the morning) or pay a toll on E470.

We moved from Texas to Castle Rock in August 2006. The property taxes are lower but that is offset by state income tax. Overall it is reasonably taxed place to live. You can definitely find nice (even new) homes in that price range. An internet search will confirm that.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:03 PM

5 posts, read 52,616 times
Thank you for the replies!!!!!

Cheryl

Old 02-15-2008, 07:39 AM

49 posts, read 223,322 times
Also, looking at Castle Rock (The Meadows) and Parker. I am wondering how is the capacity issues at these two schools generally speaking. We haven't narrowed dow any particular area of Parker so I am just wondering about if the elememntary schools in Parker are overcrowded or do they have a reasonable amount of kids comparied to the schools capacity.

Castle Rock I have head ALOT of discussion about the schools being far over capacity and crowded especially in The Meadows. We would appreciate anyone with first hand info on these areas who have kids in elementary school.

Thanks

Old 02-18-2008, 06:44 PM

49 posts, read 223,322 times
Our there any other sites like city data we can ask these kind of questions? I don't seem to have much luck getting people to respond to my questions.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:35 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
It seems that some posters ask too general in nature and get no responses, and others ask too specific a question.

Call the school and ask them about the number of students in your kids grades.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Frankly, I think 2beindenver's response makes the most sense. On many issues, but especially schools, people have such strong opinions and so much misinformation. As you see, you have *heard* a lot about Castle Rock being over-capacity, but no one stepped up with any evidence, even though a lot of people on this board seem to live in/near there. "Try and get into this district, that district, some other district, etc", is the kind of information you get from here a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado