Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 12:23 PM

67 posts, read 109,363 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Colo for 30 years...mostly in Fort Collins. I've lived in Westcliffe for 6 years. It's tiny and well located (married couples who don't work should really look at Westcliffe). But now that I'm divorced it doesn't feel right for me: Too little. Not so much to do. Not many single people my age. (dating? Ha!) A little too conservative (I'm not talking politics here.) I live out of town, a 35 mile round trip. So, when my house EVER sells, I'm moving on.

I want a lively little town with people of varying ages, not just young and not just old. I may be 62 but I'm youthful thinking and generally hip. I know a lot about most mountain towns, but on a superficial visiting level. Now I want to research the essence of the towns and find one that would suit me. I plan to rent where ever I go till I make sure I love it. I want to take some art classes, meet other fun loving and active people my age and all ages, ski, join a health club, date interesting men, befriend interesting women, hike and bike, enjoy a street/coffee shop culture, eat out! Is that too much to ask, do you think? I don't like big cities and I don't want to live on the front range. Salida is out because I go there all the time and it's too familiar. I'm looking for a NEW adventure. I like a blend of country/town. Lively, as stated above is important to me. Some really tiny Colo towns are pretty quiet.

I don't want to feel like a fish out of water wherever I go...at least not for long.

Thanks for any ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 12:53 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyam22 View Post
I've lived in Colo for 30 years...mostly in Fort Collins. I've lived in Westcliffe for 6 years. It's tiny and well located (married couples who don't work should really look at Westcliffe). But now that I'm divorced it doesn't feel right for me: Too little. Not so much to do. Not many single people my age. (dating? Ha!) A little too conservative (I'm not talking politics here.) I live out of town, a 35 mile round trip. So, when my house EVER sells, I'm moving on.

I want a lively little town with people of varying ages, not just young and not just old. I may be 62 but I'm youthful thinking and generally hip. I know a lot about most mountain towns, but on a superficial visiting level. Now I want to research the essence of the towns and find one that would suit me. I plan to rent where ever I go till I make sure I love it. I want to take some art classes, meet other fun loving and active people my age and all ages, ski, join a health club, date interesting men, befriend interesting women, hike and bike, enjoy a street/coffee shop culture, eat out! Is that too much to ask, do you think? I don't like big cities and I don't want to live on the front range. Salida is out because I go there all the time and it's too familiar. I'm looking for a NEW adventure. I like a blend of country/town. Lively, as stated above is important to me. Some really tiny Colo towns are pretty quiet.

I don't want to feel like a fish out of water wherever I go...at least not for long.

Thanks for any ideas!
Well, technically Chama is in New Mexico, but as far as mountain towns go, it has not yet been ruined as badly as most of them. I could be wrong. It's been four years since I was there. But if somebody pointed a gun to my head and forced me to move to the Mountains somewhere, I would probably pick it first and Antonito CO second.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-31-2009, 01:16 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
A place full of interesting men? Now *that's* what Money magazine should be listing! Lemme know?
To be fair, maybe I'm not always fascinating... but I sure can't think of any one place that might have what you want. Best wishes.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:13 PM

Thanks brightdoglover...that's pretty funny. Actually Money Magazine recently did some additional titles when they did their favorite little town story. For "wealthy singles" they recommended Edwards. That didn't appeal to me particularly because 1. Wealthy is ok, but I far prefer individualist, rebel, quirky! Of course a wealthy individualist, rebel, quirky guy would be ok! But #2, though I haven't been to Edwards, aside from it probably being as expensive as Vail, isn't it a manufactured town? You know, like Vail was, I think and other places...they built the town from scratch in recent history. Can those places have a heart? Not saying they can't, just wondering.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:13 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
I think if you are looking for all of the amenities and things to do, especially outdoors and culturally, ski towns are the mountain towns to go to. The Vail area I think has the best balance of everything and Edwards is a nice bedroom community. Yes it is expensive compared to living in an old mining town, but if you want xyz and a dynamic life then you've got to pay for it.

Edwards was a sleepy crossroads for 100 years and yes the riverwalk and the associated shops are recently new, but I think it has a nice mix of casual dining and services with some nice neighborhoods. There are single older men around so as long as you are a fit 62 year old you should do fine. I have some friends double my age in their 60's that live in the Vail area and they do great.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:11 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
[quote=anyam22;12242641]. . . date interesting men, befriend interesting women, hike and bike, enjoy a street/coffee shop culture, eat out! Is that too much to ask, do you think?. . ."
What in your opinion is it that makes someone interesting? Beyond obvious physical attraction what are you looking for? You mention hiking, biking, coffee shop culture and eating out.All pleasant activities for sure but when you are drinking that coffee or eating a fine meal what "interesting" topics do you discuss? Are hiking and biking the only topics? I'm not asking this in a smart ass way, I am just curious.

GL2

Old 01-01-2010, 11:01 PM

Well, Gunluvver2, it does sound just a little bit like you are asking in a smart ass way....but I'll take you at your word that you aren't and I'll answer your question if I can. Fact is, I can't speculate very accurately about "interesting" topics that might be discussed because that would depend upon who I was sitting with and our relationship. Anyway, more important to me than any single topic of discussion would be the way the conversation flowed...is it easy? is he funny? self confident in a quiet way? are the silences comfortable? Are we connecting? By "interesting" I meant the whole package, not just physical attraction though that would be a very good start. But no...the particular topics of conversation aren't nearly as "interesting" to me as a man's demeanor and interaction with me. And of course that chemistry thing. That's quite "interesting" when one encounters it.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far. My friend had suggested looking at Edwards and I suppose I might go for a weekend and have a look. See how it feels. Living in a ski town at altitude isn't a problem for me. I live at 9,000 feet now...17 miles from town...alone. I get along fine in a snowy climate. When I leave my lovely wilderness here, anything even a town like Edwards or Frisco will seem like a metropolis!

I'll be able to rent in a town that is possibly expensive for a few years. If I love it and want to buy, affording a house in one of those areas might be more of a stretch. That could be sad!

Old 01-02-2010, 08:14 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyam22 View Post
Well, Gunluvver2, it does sound just a little bit like you are asking in a smart ass way....but I'll take you at your word that you aren't and I'll answer your question if I can. Fact is, I can't speculate very accurately about "interesting" topics that might be discussed because that would depend upon who I was sitting with and our relationship. Anyway, more important to me than any single topic of discussion would be the way the conversation flowed...is it easy? is he funny? self confident in a quiet way? are the silences comfortable? Are we connecting? By "interesting" I meant the whole package, not just physical attraction though that would be a very good start. But no...the particular topics of conversation aren't nearly as "interesting" to me as a man's demeanor and interaction with me. And of course that chemistry thing. That's quite "interesting" when one encounters it.
What can I say anyan22? I have been a smart ass for a long time and you know what they say about "old dogs". However I am working on it. BTW your answer was enlightening.
GL2

Old 01-02-2010, 10:05 AM

20yrsinbranson, that's an interesting suggestion: Chama. I have been through Chama a time or two though I don't recall the details of the town. Seems like it was a little too dry, desert-like, and hot in the summer. I might be getting it mixed up with another place though. I hate too much heat in the summer. I turn into a lethargic, lazy, cranky person I can't stand when the temperature approaches 90!

I'm wondering what the median age group is in Manitou Springs? I kind of like what I read about it's "vibe"...artsy, little hippy, non conventional. I'd not want to live in the Springs, but Manitou seems a world apart to me when I visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado