Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 02:11 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,492,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
Exactly. It is a lifestyle change - easier for an old geezer than a normal modern family who might not have ever done primitive camping. It is common among small towns in drought, when they are down to the last few inches of creeks, reservoirs, and wells. They have to pay for trucks to bring water to them. It was common during the 50's drought, thanks to our grandparents who survived the Depression and the Dust Bowl. It definitely makes one appreciate one's watershed. I'm looking forward to learning every inch of my new adopted watershed when I get there.
Ya its not very practical. I live alone and during the off season don't really use much water. The off season is about 8 months, September to April. I was looking at my bill for December and I used 1,866 gallons or a average of 60 gallons a day. My bill came to 38 dollars. Honesty there is no way to cut back as I work out every morning on the elliptical runner for 90 minutes so a 30 second shower, or no shower, would not work. Combined with all the other necessities, such as cooking, cleaning, and drinking, this is about as low as I can go. Although to be honest I was surprised how low it really was as I thought it would have been over 100 gallons a day. Now peak season use is a different story.

Last edited by Josseppie; 04-06-2013 at 02:35 PM..

Old 04-06-2013, 02:36 PM

55 posts, read 87,606 times
Just talked to a primary grower out on the mesa (Pueblo/Blende/Vineland) couple of days ago. He draws from the Bessemer ditch (Arkansas River basin). Say's he's been allocated enough water this year to farm only about 35% of croplands. It's going to be a tough year for the eastern plains...

Old 04-06-2013, 08:27 PM

802 posts, read 985,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Ya its not very practical. I live alone and during the off season don't really use much water. The off season is about 8 months, September to April. I was looking at my bill for December and I used 1,866 gallons or a average of 60 gallons a day. My bill came to 38 dollars. Honesty there is no way to cut back as I work out every morning on the elliptical runner for 90 minutes so a 30 second shower, or no shower, would not work. Combined with all the other necessities, such as cooking, cleaning, and drinking, this is about as low as I can go. Although to be honest I was surprised how low it really was as I thought it would have been over 100 gallons a day. Now peak season use is a different story.
Well, at least you're thinking about it. That's more than most people do. I bet you could do better with enough motivation. I wonder how much that extra 866 gallons would have to cost to bring out that creativity? $100? $200?

There might be a future in being a "water coach" - like a "life coach" or a debt counselor.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:13 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,133,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
You use a waterless toilet, a 30-second shower (and don't bathe every day), don't run the sink while brushing your teeth, etc.

It's not that hard, though it is austere.
It's like when you have to take a shower with no hot water. You turn on the shower for 30 seconds to get yourself wet and then turn it off, lather up with shampoo and soap, turn on water again to rinse off. It takes about 90 seconds total, but it feels like 5 minutes when you are rinsing off with cold water.

BTW. On the Navajo Reservation, where most people do not have running water, the average resident uses about 15 gallons a day.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:26 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,133,757 times
Quote:
I would disagree.

For my family of four, our average daily use was 167 gallons per day. That works out to 42 gallons each. I don't know how you use much water cooking or washing dishes -- especially if you live alone. We have a 2.5 gpm shower head, and our showers are about 5-10 min. apiece. My teenagers take the 10 showers. The other big water expense is our clothes washer we do about 5-6 loads per week.

In the summer, our usage is higher -- about 220 gallons per day (55 gallons per person).

Old 04-07-2013, 12:30 AM

18,738 posts, read 33,447,125 times
When I lived without running water in Maine, I heated water on the stove and used a large basin and pitcher for sponge bath/hair. I much prefer a real shower, but obviously one can keep clean without one.
Water would have to be pretty expensive for anyone (me) to give up a shower. Now, if it simply isn't available...

Old 04-07-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
I would disagree.

For my family of four, our average daily use was 167 gallons per day. That works out to 42 gallons each. I don't know how you use much water cooking or washing dishes -- especially if you live alone. We have a 2.5 gpm shower head, and our showers are about 5-10 min. apiece. My teenagers take the 10 showers. The other big water expense is our clothes washer we do about 5-6 loads per week.

In the summer, our usage is higher -- about 220 gallons per day (55 gallons per person).
The numbers actually make sense. A person living alone would have a little higher per person average then a family of four yet the total gallons used would be less as mine is. Now my summer usage is more.

Last edited by Josseppie; 04-07-2013 at 08:46 AM..

Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 AM

802 posts, read 985,933 times
Quote:
The numbers actually make sense. A person living alone would have a little higher per person average then a family of four yet the total gallons used would be less as mine is. Now my summer usage is more.
One of the sources I ran across for Las Vegas NM mentioned 2000 gal/month for a household as "subsistence usage", while 4000 gal/month is "normal domestic usage".

http://www.lasvegasnm.gov/W-WW-GasFI...y7-12-2012.pdf

Old 04-08-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
One of the sources I ran across for Las Vegas NM mentioned 2000 gal/month for a household as "subsistence usage", while 4000 gal/month is "normal domestic usage".

http://www.lasvegasnm.gov/W-WW-GasFI...y7-12-2012.pdf
Interesting. Most of the year I am actually below it. However due to my lawn watering my average would be more.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:07 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,953,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
When I lived without running water in Maine, I heated water on the stove and used a large basin and pitcher for sponge bath/hair. I much prefer a real shower, but obviously one can keep clean without one.
Water would have to be pretty expensive for anyone (me) to give up a shower. Now, if it simply isn't available...
I'm another person who lived for an extended length of time without access to water that comes from the tap. I once spent an entire summer tent camping on BLM land near the San Miguel River between Telluride and Norwood. I had the option of hopping into the icey San Miguel for a VERY quick bath or heating a couple of gallons of water over the campfire and doing the sponge bath routine. I bathed every day and kept myself pretty clean under the circumstances.

Things went to hell when some idiot in Telluride decided to dump raw sewage from the town directly into the San Miguel. Every community downstream all the way to Naturita was adversely impacted. It's bad enough that the San Miguel is polluted from the leachings from old mining tailings; adding human waste to the river made it absolutely deadly. I had to make a 40 mile round trip to buy drinking water by the gallon from the little grocery store in Norwood. I learned all kinds of ways to consrve water. Like I stopped rinsing my dishes after I washed them. I had an uncle who was a chemist and claimed there was no need to rinse washed dishes. Turns out he was right.

Cortez has had water restrictions in place every since I moved here. I've reached the point where I feel guilty using water on a lawn. So, this year I got a couple of books about gardening using plants and flowers native to the arid Southwest - you can buy the seeds via the Internet and one of the nurseries here also stocks them. Frankly, I think a yard filled with wild flowers is prettier than a lawn of blue grass, anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado