Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,199 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a 19 year old female.
I've been living in a big city for quite sometime.
Baltimore, MD. Population here is almost 800,000 people.
I really want to get away from it all.
For 6 months to a year.
I'm looking to find out more about the area and if there are any great rentals around....

I've planned on moving somewhere small for month but only recently have I thought of moving West. Please any thoughts or Suggestions for me?
I'll take any knowledge you can give me!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 11:59 AM

2,887 posts, read 7,141,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Curious_One View Post
Hi, I'm a 19 year old female.
I've been living in a big city for quite sometime.
Baltimore, MD. Population here is almost 800,000 people.
I really want to get away from it all.
For 6 months to a year.
I'm looking to find out more about the area and if there are any great rentals around....

I've planned on moving somewhere small for month but only recently have I thought of moving West. Please any thoughts or Suggestions for me?
I'll take any knowledge you can give me!!!
Monte Vista is in the San Luis Valley. If you do a search here on C-D for San Luis Valley, you'll find some information to get you started.

The Colorado forum also has a great index thread that Mike from Back East compiled. http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...links-key.html

You can start to learn more about Colorado reading some of those threads.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:27 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,491,301 times
You can read my other posts on the San Luis Valley for more in-depth information. Monte Vista is a nice town, but has few jobs. It is primarily an agricultural community. You can get a lot of information on the whole San Luis Valley area (and most all of southern Colorado and northern New Mexico) at this site: Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Nevada Information and Vacation Planner . I suspect that Monte Vista or anywhere in the San Luis Valley would be quite a culture shock for you--a lot of Hispanics (many of them multi-generational natives of the area), short summers, cold winters, lots of potatoes and barley. The valley itself is billed as the largest high-altitude alpine valley in the western hemisphere, so it is flat. The surrounding mountains are quite beautiful, though. Just a very tough place to live economically.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:04 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,720,501 times
The closest place to get a short term job would be Alamosa. Check out the internet for the local paper. It has two small colleges,a real downtown, a walmart and strip mall shopping, a multiplex theatre, a real coffee shop, and is well located if you have a car.

If you can waitress or make beds, you should think about areas that have seasonal tourism (which Colorado does). Some are winter tourist spots (skiing) and some are summer (like near the sand dunes in the san louis valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado