Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 05:19 PM

835 posts, read 2,856,587 times

Advertisements

till i see the rockies again across my windsheild!!! this time after i drive through the rockies i will drive back up 25 to montana and eventually connect into canada, the ultimate destination is the arctic circle of alaska, been saving for this for 2 years, i can see the front range now baby!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 08:33 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Wow, hitting the road in spring and high views in summer, does it get any better? Congratulations!
Every spring I get really restless- a good book and stable life aren't good enough (every ill-advised/poor result move I ever made was in spring).
I think if I make another move, it should be in fall- when curling up at home seems like all is right with the world.
I think that's why I want two lives- one spring/summer, the other fall/winter. Someday...
Hope OP posts about the trip.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:48 AM

yea i live hear along the ohio river and its always dreary and nasty, unlike the western sun and snow mtns and sky, i really can't wait to see the arctic. money may still be an issue if thats the case i'll try to find a ride to the border and then see who is going to yukon or alaska, cant waste this opprotunity i have i need to get out of hear before i go nuts.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:06 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Sounds like a great vacation. My college roommate, who grew up on the Yukon river in northern Alaska and who currently lives in Oregon, took a drive out to Glacier National Park last year and did some backpacking. He says it was the most spectacular scenery he's ever seen. Looks like you'll be headed up that way when you cross from Montana to Canada.

But seeing as how this is a Colorado forum, let me throw out a plug for Colorado too: the Front Range is an impressive and wonderful range of mountains. You'll enjoy driving through them.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:18 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
One of the most enjoyable journeys of my life was travelling the Alaska highway in March, back in the days when it was still a gravel road. I also travelled from Edmonton to Hay River in the Northwest Territories in the middle of winter. Are you taking the Alaska highway or some other route? I wish I was travelling with you. This is likely to be a journey that you'll one day fondly reacall....when telling stories to the grand kids! Have fun and enjoy it!

Old 03-20-2010, 11:38 PM

yes i am taking alaska highway, bringing rifle and fly fishing stuff going to find a remote area and just stay for a bit maybe the entire summer the lower 48 is getting so crowded

Old 03-21-2010, 08:49 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
When you get up to Jakes Corner in the southern Yukon, a VERY worthwhile side tour is to take the 60 mile cutoff back down into Atlin, British Columbia (http://explorenorth.com/library/communities/canada/atlinphotos.html - broken link). It's a log cabin community ( well it was mostly log cabins when I was there in the mid 70s ) of approx 400 residents. It is very REMOTE, on the edge of a glacial fed lake, with glacial covered mountains ( unless the glaciers have fallen victim to the global warming ) visible across the shore. Put it on you list of places to see and make sure you go there. And bring your camera!

Old 03-21-2010, 09:27 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Good for you Onthamove! Always wanted to go to Alaska, for that matter western Canada. Brightdoglover makes a good point about keeping us posted while on the trip. Good luck, safe travels!

Old 03-21-2010, 10:01 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
yes i am taking alaska highway, bringing rifle and fly fishing stuff going to find a remote area and just stay for a bit maybe the entire summer the lower 48 is getting so crowded
I heard that in Alaska all you gotta do is drop the fly in the water and you'll get a strike every time.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:39 PM

sweetness!!! i am excited i have wanted escape for so long now i cant wait to break away. recently job, school, and people in general have left me pretty dissapointed so i am excited for this in a big way, i plan to settle for a bit in the back country and live on fish mostly and use my marlin for self defense. going to have to build a bear proof cabin type shelter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado