Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 10:15 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTiger45 View Post
dude? it wouldn't weird you out if two cop cars with blue lights flashing got their cars in front of the main entrace to a park and they hauling some thuggish looking dude into the car?

You guys should be giving me props for be willing to go out there again.
Uhhh, no it wouldn't. At all. But maybe that's because I'm used to living in urban environments and know it's a part of city life. What do I have to be afraid of, unless I've got some warrants myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 10:24 PM

425 posts, read 632,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Uhhh, no it wouldn't. At all. But maybe that's because I'm used to living in urban environments and know it's a part of city life. What do I have to be afraid of, unless I've got some warrants myself?
getting shot by some dude who tries to mug you and he's laced out on crack cocaine. stranger things have happened in the city. I don't think Greenville allows the homeless to camp out in the park. Put up a no solicitation sign I guess, although that is kind of the point of a park.

I was reading that this park wasn't well designed, they put the playground stuff at the bottom of these steps and the restrooms way up at the top of the steps.

then something about how the water in the fountain is blue or something, LOL

I kind of want to check out it now, it is fun looking at flaws in somebody's else's design.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:40 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
getting shot by some dude who tries to mug you and he's laced out on crack cocaine. stranger things have happened in the city. I don't think Greenville allows the homeless to camp out in the park. Put up a no solicitation sign I guess, although that is kind of the point of a park.
I don't recall any shootings that have happened at the park and the homeless don't "camp out" there. They are there during the day and the park closes at night. And let's not act as though Greenville's park has never had any sorts of problems. You're definitely whitewashing things now. Any urban park that's at least relatively well-used will have these sorts of issues to contend with unfortunately.

Quote:
I was reading that this park wasn't well designed, they put the playground stuff at the bottom of these steps and the restrooms way up at the top of the steps.

I kind of want to check out it now, it is fun looking at flaws in somebody's else's design.
The design of the park correlates to the terrain of the area. In case you haven't noticed, downtown Columbia can be quite hilly. That's why the northern part is terraced.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:50 AM

293 posts, read 826,857 times
Quote:

There's rest rooms at the top parking lot [entering from Laurel St] and at the bottom [entering from Taylor St]. Whoever told you that was off a little bit.

and just some FYI...the first time i visited NYC and Central Park the police were arresting an alleged mugger. The first time i went to Balboa Park in San Diego a couple was arrested for trying to scam an elderly couple. San Fran is a world class city...that didn't stop my fiancee from getting called a "Four-eyed b$#@$" by a homeless man as she got off of the Bart [Bay Area Rapit Transit]. None of that caused us to not enjoy ourselves. I"m just saying...if you let life's backdrops in your day taint your experience then no matter where you are you'll miss out.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:41 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,765,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There's a good chance some other park patron called the cops on the guy. It's all in how you look at it. If there were blue lights all over the park there might be a problem. Just think. If you had parked and toured the park with your cell phone on you, maybe you would have seen someone doing something that called for your calling the cops and you could have played a part in cleaning up a park you're afraid of.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:21 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,274,629 times
I have a few questions that have been in the back of my mind concerning the Bull Street development if anyone cares to share any prognostications and/or insight...

Will the Bull Street development have any positive impact on North Main street?

Also, I read in the paper a few days ago about the development at Bull Street will attract another high-rise. Did they mean this will attract a high-rise somewhere on the 180 acres on Bull street or somewhere else within the city?

Old 06-28-2013, 07:25 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,274,629 times
Quote:
I think any project on bull street will be dead on arrival. I think a minor league baseball stadium is about the most risky thing Columbia could do, given it has to compete with USC baseball. I don't see what the difference is from spectator standpoint, USC baseball team probably better than most minor league teams.

Oops. I just saw your response on the question I asked earlier, Clemtiger45. Interesting you think it will be "dead on arrival". What makes you think that??

Old 06-28-2013, 07:27 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,765,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I have a few questions that have been in the back of my mind concerning the Bull Street development if anyone cares to share any prognostications and/or insight...

Will the Bull Street development have any positive impact on North Main street?

Also, I read in the paper a few days ago about the development at Bull Street will attract another high-rise. Did they mean this will attract a high-rise somewhere on the 180 acres on Bull street or somewhere else within the city?
I think it will have an impact on anything near it. To me a high-rise there is fine as long as it is within scale and no higher than the roof line of the Babcock building beneath its dome.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:08 AM

425 posts, read 632,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Oops. I just saw your response on the question I asked earlier, Clemtiger45. Interesting you think it will be "dead on arrival". What makes you think that??
Gut feeling, main reason is most peope in Columbia don't care about baseball, and this is a minor league team. Plus it is going to compete for spectators against USC's top baseball program, which I think actually would have more fans in the stands than a minor league team. And the location of this proposed stadium seems pertty bad to me, not near any of the 3 downtown districts.

the downtown Greenville stadium works b/c it is right there at the west end. i just can't see a bull street stadium pulling off a similar vibe. I think you will end up with a stadium there that ends up being vacant.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:15 AM

611 posts, read 921,234 times
What concerns me most about this development is how they tie it in with the rest of Columbia. The biggest complaint about Columbia's entertainment options seems to be that they're so spread out. If they were all in one place, the city would show its vibrancy much better than the current segmentation of 5 points/Vista/Main St.

I'm just afraid that development for the sake of development will just poach from existing entertainment districts without really contributing anything new (besides new buildings and locations).

I wouldn't mind seeing the city bring back the old trolleys to run between Bull St and the Vista, down Main St. Then maybe a second set from the Vista, through Campus, to 5 points. Make them free and run on a regular (frequent) schedule, and see how they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area