Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 05:03 PM

8 posts, read 22,837 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Columbia from Spartanburg. Was leaning towards the NE area,Wildewood/Lake Murray in the higher-end homes and have found some in Elgin at Woodcreek Farms also.When I researched the distance, it was a few minutes away. One realtor told me it was 3 minutes,and that the Woodcreek Farms is a new extension of Wildewood.I was also told that the services are still from the city of Columbia,but just the PO is from Elgin.So is Elgin a suburb of Columbia?Can someone clarify this for me?

Have a daughter who will be graduating from HS going to Midland Tech and then eventually the USC.If I move to Elgin is it easy to get to Midland/USC from there?

On another note are there any jazz clubs in Columbia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlm View Post
I will be moving to Columbia from Spartanburg. Was leaning towards the NE area,Wildewood/Lake Murray in the higher-end homes and have found some in Elgin at Woodcreek Farms also.When I researched the distance, it was a few minutes away. One realtor told me it was 3 minutes,and that the Woodcreek Farms is a new extension of Wildewood.I was also told that the services are still from the city of Columbia,but just the PO is from Elgin.So is Elgin a suburb of Columbia?Can someone clarify this for me?

Have a daughter who will be graduating from HS going to Midland Tech and then eventually the USC.If I move to Elgin is it easy to get to Midland/USC from there?

On another note are there any jazz clubs in Columbia?
I'm not sure if Woodcreek is an extension of Wildewood but I do know that at one point the golf courses were owned or managed by the same group. Sounds like your relator knows what he/she is talking about. Woodcreek and Wildewood are only a few miles apart...so 3 minutes sounds about right. However, they are not directly next to each other. Either is a good choice. I consider Elgin as Kershaw County even though it does spill over into Richland.

I'm not famaliar with any Jazz Clubs. Blue Martini may be your closest match. Go to Papa Jazz in 5 points (Next to Starbucks) they know their music there.

Also, Lake Murray is not in the NE.

This may help [URL]http://www.articledashboard.com/Article/Columbia-SC-Neighborhoods--Blythewood--Irmo--Fort-Jackson-and-Downtown/1401187[/URL]

Old 01-07-2011, 09:53 AM

thank you Blythewood

Old 01-07-2011, 01:21 PM

435 posts, read 1,530,813 times
I wouldn't consider Woodcreek Farms as an "extension" of Wildewood, even if their golf courses/country clubs are managed by the same organization. They are not contiguous - there are a couple of neighborhoods in between, such as The Woodlands, which is another golf course community, albeit a more modest one with homes at lower price points.

Elgin is not a "suburb" of Columbia, per se. There is the Town of Elgin proper, which is over the county line in Kershaw County up US Route 1. It's an otherwise typical small SC town whose surround areas are steadly being absorbed into the sprawl of NE Columbia, albeit retaining a more country flavor, at least for now. So, zooming out some more, there is what I would call the "Elgin Zip Code area", which does include Woodcreek Farms and a few other NE Richland County fringe areas. That's basically an accident of zip code boundaries, there is no Town of Elgin jurisdiction in these areas, which are otherwise unicorporated.

USC is doable from the areas you're looking at but I wouldn't say they're short commutes. It could be on the order of 35-45 minutes depending time, exact location of your house, and traffic. Don't underestimate the time it takes to get to the Interstate - this is sometimes the worst part. Congestion on roads like Clemson Rd. can get very heavy. And I-20 on the east side of town is going to go a widening project over the next couple years, which could affect commuting as well. Midlands Tech's accessibility is going to depend on which campus she attends for classes. The Beltline campus will be no worse from NE Richland/Elgin than USC is. However, if she attends classes at the other major campus by the Airport, it will be a bit of a hike (I would budget 45 minutes in rush hour at least).

Old 01-07-2011, 06:10 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,573,101 times
I would refer to Elgin more as an "exurb" of Columbia than a suburb, but major development is getting closer to the town or Elgin all the time. Woodcreek Farms is in the city limits of Columbia, but Elgin is the closest post office so that is probably why the addresses are Elgin.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:59 AM

Thank you for the responses.I guess I should pay a visit there shortly to "see" the proximity.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:25 AM

I have done a lot of searching for possible locations. Since my initial posting,I've decided living on Lake Murray.I'm looking for homes in the 29212 area or leaning towards Chapin,Lexington or Irmo. I am looking for a home that has SOME privacy property-one acre is enough. Seems like the 29212 in the Columbia area has the homes,but too close to your neighbor. Looking for a high-end home with all the amenities and a pool or room for a pool.

Anyway...hoping to move within the next 30 days or so. Any NEW areas I should be looking at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area