Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 11:56 AM

12,924 posts, read 18,765,744 times

Advertisements

Hmm. Interesting location for a conference the keynote speaker of which will be a Southwest Airlines executive. It should be a good opportunity for Upstate and Lowcounty participants to look down their noses at their Midstate counterparts.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 03:29 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Hmm. Interesting location for a conference the keynote speaker of which will be a Southwest Airlines executive. It should be a good opportunity for Upstate and Lowcounty participants to look down their noses at their Midstate counterparts.

I would not read too much in to this conference. When Boeing decided to put a plant in Charleston, CAE had no chance at SWA. I don't see them adding a third destination in SC, they may not add service to Charlotte, even with the Air Tran purchase.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:02 PM

I wasn't suggesting that the conference's location might mean they will be bringing service to Columbia. I just would have thought the conference would be in Greenville or Charleston, what with the speaker being an SWA vice president. He might tread sort of lightly at the meeting.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:35 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,811 times
Quote:
I wasn't suggesting that the conference's location might mean they will be bringing service to Columbia. I just would have thought the conference would be in Greenville or Charleston, what with the speaker being an SWA vice president. He might tread sort of lightly at the meeting.
I agree, I was surprised to read that he will be in Columbia. After telling CAE where to go, he needs to be a little diplomatic when there. But, anyway, many cities have great success without SWA, Charlotte comes to mind.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:47 AM

He might want to fly in on Delta.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:21 AM

435 posts, read 1,530,430 times
Quote:
This is silly - it's a statewide conference that happens to be in Columbia. This is not a meeting of local business, government, and other leaders. Of course it might be a bit awkward if he personally gets into a conversation with Midlands-oriented folks, but I see this as him coming to South Carolina, not specifically coming to Columbia.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:15 AM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2Midlands View Post
This is silly - it's a statewide conference that happens to be in Columbia. This is not a meeting of local business, government, and other leaders. Of course it might be a bit awkward if he personally gets into a conversation with Midlands-oriented folks, but I see this as him coming to South Carolina, not specifically coming to Columbia.

You wonder if it would have really made a difference if the Midlands leaders were "working together" when SW came to SC.... I mean it was likely a business decision and if incentives were needed either the Midlands ponied up and offered them or they didnt...Though I do think that Midlands leaders DO need to work more closely together I am starting to wonder if that wasnt just a scapegoat for SW so they wouldnt have to say.. "We just bookended yo azz as a better option for our bottom line and to fatten our shareholders pockets.....now Occupy that......."

Old 10-26-2011, 07:46 AM

435 posts, read 1,530,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
You wonder if it would have really made a difference if the Midlands leaders were "working together" when SW came to SC.... I mean it was likely a business decision and if incentives were needed either the Midlands ponied up and offered them or they didnt...Though I do think that Midlands leaders DO need to work more closely together I am starting to wonder if that wasnt just a scapegoat for SW so they wouldnt have to say.. "We just bookended yo azz as a better option for our bottom line and to fatten our shareholders pockets.....now Occupy that......."
I think there is some truth to this. As I've mentioned several times in the Columbia forum, we simply do not have the high-value business base to justify a significant investment in terms of new flights, staff, etc. on a scale that Southwest finds profitable. This, at least, is their more recent business model.

I think all the low-hanging fruit in terms of smaller or "alternate" airports that they used to mine for new passengers have been picked (e.g., Jackson, MS, Providence and Manchester near Boston, etc.). It's kind of like Wal-Mart having saturated rural and exurban/suburban markets and is now only left with in-town, urban markets where they have not yet reached.

Of course, it is still well worth it for Midlands leaders to continue working to come together for more aggressive economic development.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:06 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
You wonder if it would have really made a difference if the Midlands leaders were "working together" when SW came to SC.... I mean it was likely a business decision and if incentives were needed either the Midlands ponied up and offered them or they didnt...
The Midlands did offer up an incentive.....10 million to Southwest and Southwest said "no, thank you". There were no incentives offered from either GSP or CHS.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:24 AM

Maybe City Data posters should do as CAE has done on this issue and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area