Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 01:41 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwind View Post
COFFEE! This town really needs more places to get coffee. There isn't a coffee shop in all of Rosewood!
Not sure about coffee shops, I hate the stuff. But, it is not a secret that Columbia is under retailed. However, I do know that Apple, Whole Foods and others are seriously looking at properties. Not sure when it will happen or where but, the problem should correct itself over the next few years. Most retailers update their websites as leases are signed so, you may want to check periodically.

Last edited by GSP101; 05-20-2011 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 12:43 AM

66 posts, read 122,914 times
Some of the comments above are mis-leading about Charlotte. Charlotte's airport is a fortress hub meaning that it is a large hub that is dominated by a single carrier. Consequently, Charlotte's airport is not necessarily known for its low air fares as suggested by someone.. However, it is known for being the 8th busiest airport in the country with over 640 daily flights and 34 million annual passengers (Source: Charlotte airport). It is an international airport with numerous flights to Europe, Mexico, and Carribean.
Charlotte's job market is not dominated by jobs in the financial sector as suggested by someone. The Charlotte Chamber reports that in April 2011, the MSA non-agricultural job market consisted of 810,000 jobs and 69,000 (8.5%) were in the financial and banking sector. Charlotte has a diversified economy that is growing dramatically. The MSA population growth rate from 2000-2010, was the 4th highest in the US(source:US Census Bureau). The Charlotte population would not be exploding as it is without a diversified economy. Charlotte's MSA population growth (3.2-3.5 % annually) is similar to Atlanta's population growth over the years. Consequently, Charlotte's MSa population remains about 30 years behind that of Atlanta's. Charlotte's population has been approximately 30 years behind that of Atlanta since 1900. Charlotte's MSA population today is slightly smaller than Atlanta's metro popultion in 1980. I traveled extensively to Atlanta in the late 1970s and early 1980s and, I can say that present day Charlotte is very similar to Atlanta at that time. If Columbia continues at its present growth rate (18.61% from 2000-2010), it will reach a population of 1.8 million by 2060. Charlotte's 2010 MSA population was just shy of 1.8 million. So, Columbia is significantly smaller than Charlotte and growing dramatically slower. Columbia would have less entertainment, less sports entertainment, less shopping options, less dining options etc.
As someone stated earlier, UNC Charlotte is larger than some may think. It is approximately 22,000 and growing rapidly. However, it is lacking some of the classes that a university such as USC would have. Due to the failure of the UNC system to recognize the educational needs of Charlotte, the state has been slow to add classes that should have been added. So, other private universities have taken up the slack. This is due to Charlotte's dramatic growth rate, sound economy, and insufficient college level classes for a metro of its size. The Charlotte Law School is run by a private company from Florida. Wake Forest University has been in the Charlotte market for a few years now with its MBA program. Northeastern University of Boston has recently announced that it plans to enter the Charlotte maeket. The UNC School of Medicine finally plans to add a medical school in Charlotte. Pfeiffer, Gerdner Webb, Montreat College, Johnson and Wales and possiblly others have recently come into the market. These new schools join UNCC, Queens Univ, JC Smith, Davidson College, Wingate, Winthrop, Catawba College, CPCC, Gaston College, Mitchell comm College, Rowan Cabarrus Comm College, York Comm College, Phoenix Univ, Devry, ITT and I am sure others.
I have noticed that some who comment on this site have opinions about Charlotte and other cities. But some do little or no research before posting. Often, without the resaearch, they are wrong. Some bloggers, many who have never lived in Charlotte, have these ideas or perceptions about Charlotte that have no validity. I encourage people to do their research before posting.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:02 AM

66 posts, read 122,914 times
I have been to Columbia on several occassions. It has a wonderful zoo, USC, and it is the state Capital. I am sure that Columbia is a fine city and people are prouid to live there. Residents of Columbia should not be disenchanted by Columbia not having the amenities of Charlotte. Columbia is less than half Charlotte's size and cannot reasonablly compare. Neither can Charlotte compare to Atlanta. There is a pecking order based on population. On the other hand, there are cities that cannot compare with Columbia.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:01 AM

12,897 posts, read 18,751,931 times
No other city I can think of does a finer job of balancing grace and funkiness than Columbia. Now that's my kinda town.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:41 AM

10 posts, read 17,644 times
Default totally different, but not that different

I live in Columbia now, (in Elmwood Park, but we are about to move to Heathwood) and I used to live in South Park area of Charlotte.

I know both very well. I would compare South Charlotte to South Columbia where South Park and Myers Park is like Shandon/Heathwood and then further South is like Forest Acres. Noda reminds me of Earlewood and parts of Elmwood Park.

In Columbia, the Vista and downtown is like... well Uptown.

North of Charlotte up to Lake Norman reminds me of Spring Valley and Lake Carolina.

Fort Mill reminds me of how Lexington used to be. Obviously Lake Murray is like Lake Wylie.

I have no IDEA how to classify Irmo anymore. I see parts of Irmo/Harbison and St. Andrews as declining right now. Lake homes retain their value but St. Andrews is falling apart.

People who call Columbia a hick town OBVIOUSLY never get out, don't know anybody and don't have any friends.

Charlotte is more expensive, shinier, newer and has banking and IT money. Columbia's economy is based in government, military, higher education, manufacturing and some transportation. Columbia has less money, plain and simple. It also has less traffic. People are pretty friendly in both places, but obviously Charlotte has more transplants.

I like Columbia's "patina" and quirkiness, other people like Charlotte's shiny new-ness. It's probably easier to make a name for yourself in Columbia. It's probably easier to attain a 6 figure income if you are an MBA/CPA/Finance/IT person in Charlotte. Charlotte has the money to be more supportive of the arts, but Columbia is pretty darn "artsy". The food is good in both places.

The drive to the beach is shorter from Columbia. :-P The drive to the mountains is shorter from Charlotte.

Columbia city council and leadership is SO IRRITATING! They are bonkers. In fact, voters all over SC are absolutely bananas. I'm gonna be charitable and chalk it up to "quirkiness". (I live in Columbia now, so I have to put a positive spin on it to make myself happy. :-P )

eh? What's important to you? Do you like shiny new things or quirky charming things?

Old 06-06-2011, 11:17 AM

12,897 posts, read 18,751,931 times
Great post, ahoyskipper.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:06 AM

9 posts, read 12,948 times
I take this thread as a joke. whoa. Whoa. WHOA! Charlotte is one of the quickest growing and dynamic metro areas in the nation. Columbia is a backwater. No way to compare the two.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:25 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwkfw View Post
I take this thread as a joke. whoa. Whoa. WHOA! Charlotte is one of the quickest growing and dynamic metro areas in the nation. Columbia is a backwater. No way to compare the two.
Charlotte is okay, but I don't think everyone would agree that it is one of the most dynamic metro areas in the nation. And Columbia is not anywhere close to backwater. Such a statement is ridiculous.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:44 PM

730 posts, read 1,401,785 times
One thing I can say is that I was staying at a hotel on Woodlawn Road and made a turn on South Boulevard in Charlotte 2 years ago looking for somewhere to eat and there was a stretch of a few blocks where there wasn't a sign in english or a person that spoke english. I haven't ran into that situation yet in Columbia.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:06 PM

240 posts, read 344,473 times
I live in Columbia now and have been here since 2005. I am originally from Ca. and I must say I can't wait to get out of here. If it were me I would say live in Ft. Mill and make the commute. My husband has someone he works with who makes the commute to Columbia from Ft. Mill. In my opinion it's not much in Columbia and I have 3 children. My husbands job may build another plant somewhere else and if they do we are GONE!! I must say visit Columbia and see for yourself though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area