Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2008, 04:09 PM

15 posts, read 38,425 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am an african american female with one child looking to relocate to either charlotte or columbia. I am a registered nurse and would like to know which city is better as far as getting a nursing job also safety, affordable homes, things to do etc. Please give me some input on the better areas in the better city. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 10:54 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Nurses are always going to be in demand, no matter what the city. Of course, it is more likely than not that there are more available jobs in Charlotte due to it being a bigger city, but proportionately speaking, I'd say the ratio of nursing positions to population is more or less even. As far as safety is concerned, that pretty much boils down to your particular neighborhood. Both cities have lots to do; it just depends on exactly what you like to do that will determine which city is a better fit for you. And in the affordability category, that's where Columbia comes up a bit better than Charlotte.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:10 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,831 times
Depends on what you are looking for. As Akhen said before CLT is a larger area so there will be a few more jobs opps just based on numbers. Either city is an excellent option for African American culture. As far as affordability again I would agree with Akhen Columbia is more affordable. Doesn't mean Charlotte is overly expensive just housing and rent prices in Columbia are fairer. Safety well again depends on what is considered safe. There are areas in both cities that are questionable but as long as you don't hang out there your cahnces of being involved in a crime or as a victim of one is dramatically decreased, but that's pretty much anywhere.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:23 PM

15 posts, read 38,425 times
Thank you so much for your responses. But if I choose Columbia, what are the better areas and which ones to stay away from?

Old 02-24-2008, 05:48 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus29 View Post
Thank you so much for your responses. But if I choose Columbia, what are the better areas and which ones to stay away from?
Gosh, there are so many areas to choose from. You have a child so I assume they will be in school. What do you like to do for fun? Do you like to be within walking distance of shops, restaurants, etc. or would you rather live in a suburban-type area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area