Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:19 PM

12,902 posts, read 18,751,931 times

Advertisements

I'm pleasantly surprised. I was thinking Richland County's population growth since 2000 was around 12 to 15%. 19.9% (5.6% above the state's growth rate) is a good showing for a larger county. Columbia grew by 11.2% to 129,272 as of 4/2010.

Census: Columbia still largest SC city - Local / Metro - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2011/03/23/1748272/census-columbia-still-largest.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 07:43 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,169 times
I'm impressed Richland and Columbia did quite well!

Old 03-23-2011, 10:58 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Yes, the Columbia MSA's growth was above the census estimates for the last 10 years and the MSA is now at 767,598. We should hit 800,000 late next year or early in 2013 unless more counties are added to the MSA before then, which I think is unlikely.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:35 PM

8,236 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Default Surprise Surprise

I was looking at the City of Columbia Web Site and they have on there that "Columbia is still the largest City in the State as released by the Census Bureau" as if it was a major victory. I couldnt help but think who in City Hall actually thought that the City would lose that title...Its like someone was sitting around biting their nails in agony wonder if the City would become #2 and just like in those videos where they announce the next City to host the Olympics...the Census says.. 'Columbia's #1' on the big tv screen and a cheer erupts from Council Chambers as everyone throws up their papers and dashes off into Main Street

That being said.. I am glad that the City is continuing to grow... we need more tax base lol

Old 03-24-2011, 09:36 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I was looking at the City of Columbia Web Site and they have on there that "Columbia is still the largest City in the State as released by the Census Bureau" as if it was a major victory. I couldnt help but think who in City Hall actually thought that the City would lose that title...Its like someone was sitting around biting their nails in agony wonder if the City would become #2 and just like in those videos where they announce the next City to host the Olympics...the Census says.. 'Columbia's #1' on the big tv screen and a cheer erupts from Council Chambers as everyone throws up their papers and dashes off into Main Street
Rolling on the floor! Hysterical.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:09 AM

Did they include the fact that of the state's three largest counties Richland County grew the fastest?

Old 03-25-2011, 07:16 AM

8,236 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Did they include the fact that of the state's three largest counties Richland County grew the fastest?

I didnt see that on there.. but it doesnt surprise me that City of Columbia would not promote anything about Richland County and visa versa. In fact, Richland County doesnt even acknowledge that they grew the fastest..go figure. I think that is the greatest setback... City County relations. I think it may be getting better, slowly but surely. It seems silly that elected officials in both jurisidictions behave in like their running little kingdoms because the truth is both areas' fate are interconnected.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:47 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Of course not, you know nothing positive in the "The State" can ever be said about Richland County or Columbia. For example an article title would read Richland County grew faster than Charleston, and Greenville Counties, but the city didn't grow as fast as Charleston, or other coastal cities. Oh wait, they already spun that.

If the Columbia area continues with this type of growth what will they have to complain about? They certainly couldn't spin how Columbia wasn't keeping up with the states other cities regarding growth. I know it burns them up inside.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:44 PM

In today's The State the writer explains how Lexington County's slow-down in growth from 48,000 in the 90's to 46,000 last decade was due to more people heading for the coast, treating Lexington County as an island in a vacuum. He never mentioned Columbia or Richland County except as places with which to compare the populations of the town of Lexington and Lexington County. Never mind that Lexington County is only part of an MSA that gained 120,000 people, which was roughly the same as Charleston's and way more than either Myrtle Beach's (Horry) or Hilton Head's (Beaufort). The State's writers constantly sell Columbia and the Midlands out.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:20 AM

Tomorrow The State is doing an article about the "significant" population increases in both Richland County and Columbia, including information about who moved in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area