Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 04:41 PM

377 posts, read 710,050 times

Advertisements

Neat, didn't realize a lot of that.

If that area was used for industrial purposes back then for that long, it doesn't seem likely developers are going to want to incur the expense of cleanup to make it fit for residential or commercial use even if the demand begins to grow. That does seem too bad, because with the way the city and suburbs have developed, the Monticello/Fairfield Rds. area is in what would otherwise be a great central location to nearly everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 01:06 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
I-20 through Columbia operates a lot like I-85 through Charlotte, going through industrial areas near the airport from the west until you get to the University area (which has Ikea as its most notable landmark) and on up to Concord, similar to heading up to northeast Richland. Someone mentioned Raleigh and Durham where you wouldn't have a clue you were in the middle of a major metro region driving along I-40/I-85, and it's the same driving through I-85 in Greensboro also.

At any rate, I get the point about visibility but interstate highways were meant to skirt the periphery of cities anyway. Development near them tends to be a bunch of poorly-planned sprawling suburban developments which isn't ideal.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:39 AM

11 posts, read 34,433 times
Have there been any updates in regards to Killian's Crossing?

I drive by it at least once a week and news/rumors seemed to pick up when they started (finally) moving dirt around but now all of that has died down again...hope there won't be another few years of no news...

Most importantly, does anybody have an anticipated date?

Old 02-24-2014, 12:13 PM

229 posts, read 395,650 times
well I'm just hoping for my wine/beer store O.N.E. to be opened! They laid down the cement, should go up pretty quick now...

Old 02-26-2014, 09:04 AM

8,248 posts, read 13,368,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I-20 through Columbia operates a lot like I-85 through Charlotte, going through industrial areas near the airport from the west until you get to the University area (which has Ikea as its most notable landmark) and on up to Concord, similar to heading up to northeast Richland. Someone mentioned Raleigh and Durham where you wouldn't have a clue you were in the middle of a major metro region driving along I-40/I-85, and it's the same driving through I-85 in Greensboro also.

At any rate, I get the point about visibility but interstate highways were meant to skirt the periphery of cities anyway. Development near them tends to be a bunch of poorly-planned sprawling suburban developments which isn't ideal.

True.. also.. most of the land along I-20 in Richland County up to Two Notch.. historically.. hasnt been in the Columbia City Limits.. The City has annexed heavily up towards I-20 and beyond in the 80s and 90s.. Prior to that it was almost exclusively in Richland County which up until the 90s really didnt give a hoot about "Planning" especially in areas adjacent to the Columbia City Limits.. so the City's role in "Planning" or lack there of that supported how these areas look was very minimal.... Same could be said for Hwy 277.. which was also mainly in the County until you get down to around Richland Memorial....though it expands up in areas on either side of this corridor such as Farrow Road to Greenview and up W Beltline. If you want to see where the City has been mainly involved in how the entrance corridors look along these areas...I-126 is a better example in terms of beautification and some "Planning" along with Forest Drive @ I-77 and some of what is currently going on at I-77 at Garners Ferry. Ft. Jackson Blvd at I-77 is also part of a major corridor study for the area around Whole Foods and the surrounding properties along Ft. Jackson Blvd and the Garners Ferry/ Devine Street/Beltline confluence......

So what one may believe is in "the city" may be under the control of another jurisdiction. At one time they were trying to merge Richland County and the City of Columbia's Planning Departments which would help in achieving a comprehensive planning vision.. I know that they do coordinate better now than in the past.. but I am not sure if they are yet one department....

Last edited by Woodlands; 02-26-2014 at 09:13 AM..

Old 02-27-2014, 04:11 PM

According to the NAI Avant sign, Killian's Crossing has its first tenant...Hardee's. I believe this is the textbook definition of anticlimactic.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:47 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,275,249 times
Lol thanks for the laugh ^

Old 02-28-2014, 09:44 AM

8,248 posts, read 13,368,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nin_man View Post
According to the NAI Avant sign, Killian's Crossing has its first tenant...Hardee's. I believe this is the textbook definition of anticlimactic.

Sheeeeet.. you must not eat at Hardees....

MMM> I can hear my arteries hardening now......

Old 02-28-2014, 01:07 PM

I burned out on Hardee's ten years ago when there was one practically in the parking lot of the office I worked in - which itself was a restaurant headquarters.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:40 PM

I'm actually more amazed to see the long-threatened Summit Collision Center across the road finally breaking ground. Swear that "coming soon" sign has been up for five years or more. Next thing you know, the funeral home in the old Polo Road multiplex is going to open up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area