Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:22 PM

12,966 posts, read 18,821,931 times

Advertisements

The area's outdoors and performing arts are cited in Money's write-up.

25 Best Places to Retire - Columbia, S.C. (20) - CNNMoney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 12:27 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,576,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
The area's outdoors and performing arts are cited in Money's write-up.

25 Best Places to Retire - Columbia, S.C. (20) - CNNMoney

Those lists are bogus, only sheep follow the crowds to this best and that best, yada yada. Columbia SC has to be on the list of the 25 MOST HOT and HUMID cities in the country ... right up there with Charleston SC and most of FL.

Why anyone would retire in Columbia is beyond me.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:34 PM

...six weeks out of the year only. My A/C works. And down by the river and under the city's thousands of shade trees it's 15 degrees cooler. Texas is the hot spot and look at all the people moving there, retirees included. Consider all the months in Columbia with no snow and no hurricane evacuations, and 12 months a year without pretentiousness, and you've got a winner.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:55 AM

843 posts, read 2,750,248 times
Quote:
and 12 months a year without pretentiousness
notsureifsrs.jpg

Old 09-16-2011, 07:16 AM

Huh?

Old 09-16-2011, 08:35 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,881,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Those lists are bogus, only sheep follow the crowds to this best and that best, yada yada. Columbia SC has to be on the list of the 25 MOST HOT and HUMID cities in the country ... right up there with Charleston SC and most of FL.

Why anyone would retire in Columbia is beyond me.
To be fair, Columbia is a close drive to the mountains (Greenville) and the coast (Charleston), so it does make sense that many retirees would choose the city. Also, having a university with the arts, another plus. Yes, the heat is opressive, but so is the heat in central Florida, and look how many retirees move there. My concerns with Columbia if I were a retiree would be lack of a quality restaurant scene, crime and lack of scenic beauty.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:25 PM

I've been expecting your arrival, gsupstate. I knew you couldn't resist. That is a pathetic post.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:46 PM

843 posts, read 2,750,248 times
Quote:
Huh?
I'm originally from the South, and have lived in different regions of the South, and the people of Columbia are, by far, the most pretentious of them all. Anyone (and I'm talking SC natives, here) that has ventured outside of the Midlands and is open-minded and honest will laugh and scoff when they hear the term 'southern hospitality' muttered in these parts. In fact, a great deal of Columbia natives that I know will admit that these are some of the worst, most self-absorbed people they know.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:54 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,587,219 times
Quote:
I've been expecting your arrival, gsupstate. I knew you couldn't resist. That is a pathetic post.
Would we expect anything less? The "oppressive" heat is about 2 degrees warmer than Greenville, on average and as far as scenic beauty, Columbia is a city of beautiful neighborhoods, 3 rivers, the only national park in South Carolina, Lake Murray and 2 state parks. As far as restaurants are concerned, Columbia has a breadth of quality restaurants with a wide range of offerings. I guess he just assumes that if you repeat lies enough times then people will believe them. As far as crime is concerned, what city doesn't have any crime? If you're smart about your environment and actions then you will be much less likely to be a crime victim.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
I'm originally from the South, and have lived in different regions of the South, and the people of Columbia are, by far, the most pretentious of them all. Anyone (and I'm talking SC natives, here) that has ventured outside of the Midlands and is open-minded and honest will laugh and scoff when they hear the term 'southern hospitality' muttered in these parts. In fact, a great deal of Columbia natives that I know will admit that these are some of the worst, most self-absorbed people they know.
That's silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area