Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 01:42 PM

13 posts, read 43,704 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are moving to 29045 in Elgin SC soon and I was wondering what people thought of the area. The good and bad places to go/stay away from? Also my son will need preschool next year, what are the best ones in that area and how are the elementary schools? Thank-You for all of your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 02:57 PM

730 posts, read 1,402,068 times
Are you on the Richland or Kershaw County side of Elgin? Most of "Elgin" is in Kershaw, but I know some places in northeast Richland have an Elgin address. If in Kershaw, the elementary schools in Elgin are Blaney and Wateree. Lugoff-Elgin is a growing area, LEHS is now a 4A school, which is the largest classification in the state. I think a good bit of it is spillover from Richland.

If you're in Richland, you'll be in Richland District 2. Bridge Creek, Catawba Trail and Bookman Road are elementary schools in that district with an Elgin address. All are fairly new, I believe.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:11 PM

We will be in Kershaw County. Any ideas on the preschools? Either church based or daycare based on what is good in that area? As far as the elementary will it depend on where we live on which elementary he goes to or do I have any say in the matter? Thanks for your help!

Old 02-03-2012, 04:23 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,275 times
This may more than the OP wants to know but, I recently saw some neighborhoods in Elgin that were very nice. Are there a lot of expensive neighborhoods being developed in this area?

Old 02-03-2012, 06:00 PM

730 posts, read 1,402,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSmith1017 View Post
We will be in Kershaw County. Any ideas on the preschools? Either church based or daycare based on what is good in that area? As far as the elementary will it depend on where we live on which elementary he goes to or do I have any say in the matter? Thanks for your help!
I'm not sure about any churches or daycares. I work on the other side of Columbia, in Lexington District 1. In Kershaw, you will go to school based on your residence. I think that Blaney's attendance zone is mostly Elgin, while Wateree's goes out from Elgin and back towards Lugoff.

The West Wateree attendance zone (Lugoff-Elgin HS and its feeder schools), which you will be in, is the better of the 3 zones in Kershaw County.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:31 AM

Thanks for all the help!

Old 02-04-2012, 10:35 AM

gsp101
I don't know about expensive developments. We just found a nice home in a newer nice neighborhood near Heath Pond but I wouldn't call it expensive. At least not compaired to Charlotte where we are relocating from. I will know more in a few weeks when i am actually there and can drive the area more.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:54 AM

8 posts, read 25,938 times
I would love to know what you find out. I held off on a relo to Raleigh NC but it looks like it could now be Elgin SC. I have a friend in one of the newer developments offering her place for rent which would be way more house than i could normally afford but I too need child care for a 22 month old and slight nervous about some of the post I am reading.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:06 AM

I will definately repost after we move when I know more. I did see at least 2 daycare places in Elgin, I just won't have an opinion until I actually walk them myself and so far I haven't found any feedback on them. Will keep you posted. We move midmonth so I should have an answer by the end of the month as I am hoping to get him into something for the rest of this year.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:51 AM

Red face Here in Elgin!

Okay, so we moved here about 2 weeks ago. It is quiet. I have birds in my yard, I have seen deer in my neighbors yard. I have met about 7 neighbors already and everyone is Very nice! Some even brought us over some "welcome to the neighborhood" sweets.
We are basically in the country or "no mans land". There isn't anything to boast as far as shopping(there IS foodlion and gas station). However, Sandhills shopping has a mall, target, walmart, ect... and is only about 12 minutes by backroad. (haven't tried highway time yet) So I think its the best of both worlds!
As for schools I personally am zoned for Dolby Mills and have heard nothing but great things about it. It doesn't have a preschool though so I have looked into other options. There are alot of choices considering our rural location. There are alot of churches, regular daycare places, and then the "private daycare/schools" The churches are very reasonably priced and offer both 1/2 day and full day options. The private can get pricey but they DO have some great ones. There Does seem to be a waiting list on most of the preffered places but I have already ensured a spot for this fall, it is just the remainder of this year I may not be able to get him in. Lots of summer plans around here too for schools and such.
Well, we are moved in and happy with our choice. A quiet place just outside of the husle and busle of the city. An easy commute with i20 right there. Feel free to ask questions if you have them, I will check this once a week or so. Hope I helped others!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area