Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 12:40 PM

30 posts, read 33,561 times

Advertisements

I'd like some feedback on the cost of living compared to where I am now (Birmingham). I'm single (but would also like to be in a place thats good for meeting someone), no dependents. This town is expensive for me, despite what some people think of Alabama. The sales tax and water/sewer utilities are among the highest in the country, and health insurance premiums even on a group plan are more than double Wisconsin - no doubt partly due to the poor folks here and awful southern eating habits.
Also, apartments here are expensive in a decent area - $600+ for one bedroom and not new. How does Columbia compare?

The reason I have to be concerned with the costs is because this job doesn't pay all that well. I've been told not to expect much more than $26k. I know, its low, I had trouble with a few grand more here...but with the job market the way it is I am thinking I should nab it if it'll work. Or I should hold out for a place that pays better. They say the cost of living in the south is low, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 12:47 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,917,963 times
av8,
I don't live in Columbia.
I live in Aiken county, about 45 min to 1 hour away, south of Columbia.
The cost of living is jsut as high here as it is in Alabama.
The good news is, mabey you will move up in the company
that you get a new job with.
There are many companies moving into Columbia, it is one
of the 10 best cities as far as economic expansion in the country.
i would say move, you might meet someone new, you could get an
even better job in Columbia, more to do for single people.
What do you really have to loose?
Move now, before you have too many responsibilites
to hold you back.
Personally, I LOVE South Carolina, but that is just me.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:52 PM

30 posts, read 33,561 times
Is Columbia a better place for meeting educated 30s single (white) women than Birmingham? that's of course not the top of the criteria list but it would help. The economic conditions where I am now are as stifling as the humidity.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:32 PM

18 posts, read 62,302 times
You might want to consider a roommate situation given your budget. You'd get slightly better accommodations and have the chance to meet someone. There is a risk rooming with someone you don't know but you could try to get a short term setup to try it out.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:41 PM

377 posts, read 710,127 times
Columbia is pretty comparable to Birmingham in just about every way, except the football and the shopping are worse here and crime is lower.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:00 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,569,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nin_man View Post
Columbia is pretty comparable to Birmingham in just about every way, except the football and the shopping are worse here and crime is lower.
USC and Alabama are 3-3 against each other in this millennium and Bama no longer plays in Birmingham. The only football in B'ham now is UAB and the Papajohns Bowl.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:32 PM

When it comes to football, Birmingham is a suburb of Tuscaloosa. And Alabama has a couple more national titles this millennium.

av8nlvr, one of the bigger adjustments you'll have to make if you come here is getting used to how adorable UofSC fans are about their little football team. They think they're people!

Old 05-25-2012, 10:51 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,569,739 times
Quote:
When it comes to football, Birmingham is a suburb of Tuscaloosa. And Alabama has a couple more national titles this millennium.

av8nlvr, one of the bigger adjustments you'll have to make if you come here is getting used to how adorable UofSC fans are about their little football team. They think they're people!
Carolina 35 Alabama 21.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:02 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,275,825 times
Quote:

I think if you went to ANY SEC town (besides KY and Vandy) you'd see an adoration of their respective football team, not just in Columbia!

But yes, we are very proud of our football team as of late. 11-2 is nothing to scoff at.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Carolina 35 Alabama 21.
Hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.

All joshing aside, football is just as all-consuming here as it is where you are now, but everything's dialed down a few notches. But with nothing here really being all that cheaper than in Birmingham, it may not be worth the cost and trouble of moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area