Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 06:33 PM

6 posts, read 5,526 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
My family and I (husband and 12 dd) will be hitting the road on Sat bright and early. He has taken a position in Gaston. From what I have been able to gather,it looks like the Lexington 1school dist is doing quite well. We are specifically looking at Meadow Glenn Middle then onto River Bluff High. Can any one give me any information they may have about these two schools or the general area. We do realize this is gonna be a big change...really the reason were looking forward to it is a slower pace and our daughter hated living in the fast pace of life out here. The bonus of course is family will be 3 hours away instead of on the other side of the country. We are looking for a 3 drm 2 ba house ready for move in...we will be going straight into an extdened stay hotel until we can secure a lease within that school zone. If anyone can help me out as far as properties for lease that line up with those two schools or any information about places to avoid it sure would help out. Thank you in advance for your time. Looking forward to calling the South home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 06:57 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,574,477 times
Welcome to Columbia. It would help to know a general price range to make suggestions.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:23 PM

Default price range

Sorry about that, so much going thru my head these days. $1300 per mo? Would that get us what were looking for in that area? Thanks for the warm welcome!

Old 09-19-2013, 08:15 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,574,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitten4glitter View Post
Sorry about that, so much going thru my head these days. $1300 per mo? Would that get us what were looking for in that area? Thanks for the warm welcome!
Yes, without any problem. The high school is located on Corley Mill Road, which is a nice, shaded street close to Lake Murray. There are many subdivisions in that general vicinity and it's probably no more than 20 minutes to Gaston during rush hour. I live downtown, so I'm not as familiar with that area, but I know you won't have any problem finding a place in that price range. Check Craigslist, The State Newspaper classifieds and Free Times classifieds for rentals. $1300 won't get you on the lake, though.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:17 PM

730 posts, read 1,403,012 times
Lexington has terrible traffic. The intersection with 378 and Corley Mill is ridiculous during commute hours. Corley Mill backs up for miles, way past the high school trying to get to 378 between 7:30 and 8. Several neighborhoods in your price range. Congrats on the new job!

Old 09-19-2013, 11:12 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,277,756 times
Corley Mill road is one of the most scenic roads in metro Columbia, in my opinion. Great area to live in and you're in close proximity to Lexington and Columbia, including not too far away from Gaston. Great connectivity with I-20 not too far off Corley Mill road on Highway 378. Tiger17 is right, Lexington in general has pretty bad traffic, yet, there is widening planned and in the works on Corley Mill and 378. As long as you can live with the traffic for the next year or so things should clear up in that vicinity by the next school year. Congratulations and Welcome to Lexington/Columbia!

Old 09-20-2013, 06:08 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,266,887 times
Good choice on the schools. I have kids in Meadow Glen and River Bluff and all I can say is wow. Both schools are top of the line with excellent facilities and staff. Traffic can be bad during drop off hours but it is a small price to pay for the quality of education that is available for your kids. Crime and taxes are low and quality of life is high.

For $1300 a month you will have your choice of accommodations. Things are a bit less expensive around here than you are probably used to.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:40 AM

58 posts, read 131,442 times
My family and I moved to Lexington from the bay area last year and have been very happy so far. Like you we chose the area for its good schools, and though I dont have a child in either one that you mentioned I have heard only good things about those two. It is definitely a slower pace of life, but sometimes that is a good change. People are extremely friendly here, least compared to california so meeting folks in your neighborhood shouldn't be an issue. Obviously there is less to do here then in the bay area but the think we really like about this area is its very close to a lot of big cities and the ocean. As you probably already know atlanta is 3 hours, charlotte is 2 hours, charleston is less then 2 hours so it makes weekend trips very easy also unlike california road trips you don't have to factor in an extra hour or two whenever you make long drives due to expected traffic. Although i greatly miss going to 49ers and SF giants games, my sports fix is met by having University of South Carolina so close by which is loaded with great sports teams and very accessible tickets to the games.

Like someone mentioned already, my only complaint about Lexington is the traffic at times can be messy. However compared to California traffic is nothing and its really only during "rush hour" which is a very short window, unlike California where the traffic never seems to stop. I have noticed if I leave work 30 minutes earlier I totally avoid the traffic, and if you stay more on the side of lexington that is closer to Columbia (which seems to be where you are headed based on schools you mentioned) its only messy at the 378/corley mill intersection. 378 in that area is loaded with plenty of good shopping (e.g. target) and crime rate from what we have heard/seen is very low.

I don't know much about the rental market in lexington but based on one minute of research and looking at zillows rental listing, there seems to be several options in nice areas of lexington within your budget.

Good luck with the move and if you have any specific questions bout the transition from the bay area to S.C. feel free to send me a direct message or post them on this message board.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:47 PM

Wow!!! Thank you so much for the wealth kf knowledge and sharing with us! We are enroute first day of our road trip! As things come up we will be sure to post them, as you have all been so kind to give us the lay of the land;-) glofman21 thx!!! And of course everyone else!!!

Old 09-21-2013, 02:06 PM

99 posts, read 204,036 times
I never understood why the pace of life is slower in SC than some place like California. You can do the exact same things here that you do there. The pace is as fast or slow as you want it to be. You don't sit in traffic here as nearly as much as most places in Cali so really it is a faster pace of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area