Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 02:11 PM

17 posts, read 60,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyM View Post
Are taxes lower in Richland County or Lexington? I've heard conflicting answers on this one.
It depends on where in each county. Generally Lexington will be lower than Richland for apples to apples comparisons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 06:10 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyM View Post
Are taxes lower in Richland County or Lexington? I've heard conflicting answers on this one.
Taxes tend to be lower in Lexington County, but you don't have as many services. Many areas in Lexington County do not have trash pickup unless you pay a private service. The Sheriff's and Fire Departments are also spread much more thin. I live in the city and have 3 fire stations and 2 police precincts within 1 1/2 miles of my house.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Taxes tend to be lower in Lexington County, but you don't have as many services. Many areas in Lexington County do not have trash pickup unless you pay a private service. The Sheriff's and Fire Departments are also spread much more thin. I live in the city and have 3 fire stations and 2 police precincts within 1 1/2 miles of my house.
Unincorporated areas in both counties require residents to pay for trash pickup.

Fire and police service are about equal in coverage once you get out of incorporated areas. One plus is that you'll probably not need police protection nearly as often in Lexington county.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:16 PM

30 posts, read 123,163 times
Depending on where you look in lexington county, police can be very close. Also, bringing your own garbage (my two cents-smile) to the dump (which is on Ballpark road off rt1/augusta hwy) can be very convenient. Save yourself money every month. I don't find it a problem dumping my own.

I think taxes are more in the city of lex (anyone chime in here?). In other words you could pay both county and city taxes depending on where you are.

A little off subject but more info.
I think that Lex PD has about 42 officers, lexington has about 16 thousand people. Police are maybe 5 miles from us. Columbia not lexington is harder hit with crime but, nothing like manhattan, ny. Lexington's main problem is domestic calls. Gangs are starting to creep in a bit and are becoming younger, as young as 15yrs old, not the 20 somethings they used to see. I can't speak for this as I haven't seen anything unusual or threatening. Life is generally quiet here and I feel safe. I agree with josephj7677.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tWaitToMove View Post
Depending on where you look in lexington county, police can be very close. Also, bringing your own garbage (my two cents-smile) to the dump (which is on Ballpark road off rt1/augusta hwy) can be very convenient. Save yourself money every month. I don't find it a problem dumping my own.

I think taxes are more in the city of lex (anyone chime in here?). In other words you could pay both county and city taxes depending on where you are.

A little off subject but more info.
I think that Lex PD has about 42 officers, lexington has about 16 thousand people. Police are maybe 5 miles from us. Columbia not lexington is harder hit with crime but, nothing like manhattan, ny. Lexington's main problem is domestic calls. Gangs are starting to creep in a bit and are becoming younger, as young as 15yrs old, not the 20 somethings they used to see. I can't speak for this as I haven't seen anything unusual or threatening. Life is generally quiet here and I feel safe. I agree with josephj7677.
Taxes are a little bit higher in the town of Lexington, but trash pickup is free and you get that wonderful town police protection (when they're not busy stopping people for burnt out tail lights). It's a neglible amount. Town residents pay about $640 per $100k of value (my rough math based on 2007 tax bill).

Old 01-23-2008, 01:56 AM

75 posts, read 285,241 times
Just my two cents, and hope no one takes this wrong...BUT, people here are more welcoming to you if you buy a home instead of rent. Not sure what thats all about, just something I've noticed. We moved here from Florida and didn't want to buy right away...our neighbors were polite, wave at you in the yard sort of thing. But, no one was very friendly with us until we purchased...same neighborhood, same people. Just letting you know something that no one bothered to mention to us.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:03 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephj7677 View Post
I'd vote for anywhere in Florida.
Yup. I can't imagine drivers anywhere being as bad as in FL. There's an accident on every corner.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:10 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Default Very interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugratref View Post
Just my two cents, and hope no one takes this wrong...BUT, people here are more welcoming to you if you buy a home instead of rent. Not sure what thats all about, just something I've noticed. We moved here from Florida and didn't want to buy right away...our neighbors were polite, wave at you in the yard sort of thing. But, no one was very friendly with us until we purchased...same neighborhood, same people. Just letting you know something that no one bothered to mention to us.
Since you were worried about people taking it the wrong way, I wanted to let you know that I've actually wondered about this very thing, since I would be job hunting in SC as well. I imagine any employer would prefer to know someone has decided to settle in the area. However, making such a commitment first is a big risk and might not be wise. I mean, even if someone gets a good position, it could be in a location an hour away.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:58 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
The reason an employer would like a homeowner better than a renter (though they cannot ask that question) is very simple - they would prefer an employee that they are more certain would stay in the area and stay with their company. Its just a matter of stability, especially if someone has just moved to the area.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:15 PM

10 posts, read 22,562 times
sorry no reply...but We are thinking of moving to lexington sc next fall from pittsburgh Pa.......we were concrened abt the hurricanes too thanks for the info...what abt apts is lexington a best area of columbia......thanks for your info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area