Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2006, 03:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,534 times

Advertisements

I've read almost EVERY SINGLE thread on here and while my question is similar to others, I find mine a little different with one very important fact: we're military.

My husband and I are a young couple without children and just found out we're going to Ft. Jackson, SC. We're very excited about it, but completely clueless on whats out there. I've done some research on the net, but nothing is better than advice straight from people who currently live there.

I've heard good things about Lexington, as well as the Northeast area, where a lot of military families seem to be going.

Finding a job won't be too hard for me, all I care is that my commute isn't hell like it is here in Hawaii. UGH! I'd probably work somewhere in downtown Columbia.

We're looking to build a new house and have already talked with a realtor about it. He's very nice, but I feel like he holds back from telling me the real nitty-gritty stuff.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. If you are planning on a vacation or relocation to Hawaii, let me know and I'd love to help you out, too!

Thanks,

Alicia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2006, 02:42 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,723 times
You'll find the cost of living in Columbia astronomically lower than Hawaii. What "nitty-gritty" does the realtor seem to be holding back?

Old 10-01-2006, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,532 times
Hi Alicia!
You'll find, as friendnc said, the cost of living much, much lower in Columbia. Lexington is a very nice town and it is better to live there than in Columbia. Columbia is a good town, bustling as most state capitols are, but there are really good people there. I know of no 'nitty gritty' negative about the area. There are jobs, the climate is mild and no high crime rate. Granted, the scenery may not be breathtaking as it is in Hawaii but we like it.
WELCOME TO THE PALMETTO STATE, ALICIA-beautiful places and friendly faces.
Oh, I should warn you. We are a very laid back populous. We love a slow paced way of life. Don't worry-you'll adjust. Just be patient-LOL.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:42 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Whether it is better to live in Lexington or Columbia is subjective--it depends on the person. As a young, single, college-educated male in his mid-20's, Columbia would be MUCH more suited for my lifestyle than Lexington, several times over. But for someone else, Lexington might be better suited, or one of the Lexington County towns--Cayce, Irmo, etc.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:31 PM

35 posts, read 221,610 times
Hi! Well my husband and I made the same move a year ago! We were stationed at Schofield in Hawaii, and then came here to Ft. Jackson. And after a year, we're already being stationed somewhere else! Too bad you are building a house, because we have a nice house for sale! We also have no kids.
Anyway, not to scare you, but I am happy to be leaving here! I don't understand the "smiling faces, beautiful places!" I mean, there are nice places to visit, but as for smiling faces, I have found nothing but rude people here, which really depressed me. As for Columbia or Lexington, you'll be better off in Columbia Northeast if you want to be close to base. Lexington is a bit further away, at least a 20 minute or more drive, depending on where in Lexington you are going. Our house is the perfect location, only 3 miles from one of the gates. Lexington is more country, and I did find that the people there where more friendly. Anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area