Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 07:59 PM

24 posts, read 20,856 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I will be in Columbia next week! I'm very happy and anxious about this big move. I have a list of apartments that I will visit and I would like to get your input to see if I should keep them on the list or maybe add other apartments that I don't know about.

I will work in Palmetto Health Richland. I won't have a car. My monthly income is around 2,000 so saving on rent is important but at the same time I want to be in a place that's safe and that is not more than 40 minutes by bus from the hospital. If I'm also close to a place that I can buy groceries that would be perfect, but I know maybe I'm asking too much.

These are the places that I'm looking into:

Claire Tower

Landmark at Pine Court

Senate Plaza

The Farrington Apartments

Capitol Places

The Ashton at Longcreek

Thanks again for all your help

PS: I'm also looking at craiglist to see if I can find a room to rent or someone looking for a roommate in downtown/five points
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 08:48 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,597,889 times
With what you've told me I'd choose Claire Tower, Senate Plaza or Capitol Places (they have a number of buildings). If you get a roommate situation, Earlewood Park, Cottontown and Keenan Terrace are all close to Palmetto Health Richland.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:55 PM

678 posts, read 802,985 times
Yes I would recommend a small studio in Capitol Places. Smallest possible.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:49 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,952,177 times
I used to live in Claire Towers and unless they have gone through a major renovation (which may have occurred, I lived there two years ago)...but if not avoid it like the plaque. The lady that works there and the maintenance guy are very nice and try to do anything for you, but the issues there are honestly beyond their control. The place is infested with roaches, it smells awful, and it just feels dirty to me (when I moved out I had to re wash all of my clothes and sheets and thoroughly clean all of my furniture to get the musty scent off of it)

On the contrary...I left there and moved into Capital Places which was nothing short of awesome! I only left because I was moving out of town and I still miss that place...especially now that they are working on the new building on Lady that will have a pool all residents can use.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:20 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,041,242 times
Capitol Places or Senate Plaza, no question.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:15 AM

2,169 posts, read 3,144,493 times
The cheapest thing available at Capital Places is $850/month. That's pretty steep for someone making $2000. And, is the $2000 before taxes? If so, that means your take home is around $1300.

My suggestion is to look at the student oriented housing options around town. You can get a private bedroom and bath with all utilities included for around $550/month and the places are nice and new.

Doesn't matter if you aren't a student. Even though they market to students, they are open to anyone.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:47 AM

678 posts, read 802,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
The cheapest thing available at Capital Places is $850/month. That's pretty steep for someone making $2000. And, is the $2000 before taxes? If so, that means your take home is around $1300.

My suggestion is to look at the student oriented housing options around town. You can get a private bedroom and bath with all utilities included for around $550/month and the places are nice and new.

Doesn't matter if you aren't a student. Even though they market to students, they are open to anyone.
You know that's a great point, but I guess I was thinking of trying to place him as close to the middle of downtown as possible. But there are cheaper options out there for sure if you look at "student" housing. The fully furnished new places though either aren't optimally located or are just as expensive as everything else (HUB for example).

Also I'm thinking he should pull in more like $1,500 / month or so? But I guess that depends on whether he has health ins taken out

Old 05-13-2015, 11:06 AM

2,169 posts, read 3,144,493 times
Riverside has a 2 bedroom/2 bath for just $599 and I'm sure it's close to a bus stop. It's just across the river from downtown and includes the following:
Per person, 12 installments for a standard term of August 16, 2015 to July 30, 2016. Includes furnishings, flat-panel HDTV, in-unit laundry, wireless Internet, satellite TV, water, all amenities. $150 refundable security deposit. Rates are subject to change.

Where else are you going to get that kind of deal? Then on top of that, add the pool, workout facilities and it's fully furnished with laundry. He is going to be on a thin budget at $1300 to $1500/month. Anyplace that is going to take half his income in rent is too high.

The only drawback I see is that since it is marketed towards students, there is a 2 week period during the summer where you have to be out of the building. That is when they do any repairs and maintainence to get ready for the next year. It's a 50 week lease, not a 52 week lease.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:06 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,597,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Riverside has a 2 bedroom/2 bath for just $599 and I'm sure it's close to a bus stop. It's just across the river from downtown and includes the following:
Per person, 12 installments for a standard term of August 16, 2015 to July 30, 2016. Includes furnishings, flat-panel HDTV, in-unit laundry, wireless Internet, satellite TV, water, all amenities. $150 refundable security deposit. Rates are subject to change.

Where else are you going to get that kind of deal? Then on top of that, add the pool, workout facilities and it's fully furnished with laundry. He is going to be on a thin budget at $1300 to $1500/month. Anyplace that is going to take half his income in rent is too high.

The only drawback I see is that since it is marketed towards students, there is a 2 week period during the summer where you have to be out of the building. That is when they do any repairs and maintainence to get ready for the next year. It's a 50 week lease, not a 52 week lease.
The drawback is that it's further from his job and it's across the river - a longer walk to everything in the Vista and Main Street.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:20 PM

24 posts, read 20,856 times
Thanks again for all the information. I have contacted some of the student housing options but it has been difficult to schedule a viewing. I will visit them once I'm there.

So far from what I understand, my income will be around 2,000 after taxes are taken out. I will let you guys know where I end up and how things go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
View detailed profiles of: