Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:07 PM

50 posts, read 178,541 times

Advertisements

I've heard that Columbia is "surprisingly liberal" and the most liberal city in SC. From visiting Columbia and Charleston rather frequently, I would think Charleston to be far more liberal than Columbia (at least by SC standards). I did a little bit of research into voting trends, and politically speaking, Columbia is definitely more liberal than Charleston. From the artsy, bohemian vibe in some areas of Charleston, it seems like the area would be very liberal. Can someone please explain? I find it hard to believe and almost humorous to label Columbia as liberal (almost like labeling Cincinnati as liberal). BTW: I was surprised to find out Greenville and Rock Hill are as conservative as they are. I guess I'll have to cross those off my list.

FWIW: I'm not a flaming left-winger, althought I do lean a lot more to the left than right, I want a place that is more progessive-minded that Cincy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 09:35 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Wait, so you're saying a city isn't progressive because it's conservative? Wow. Just wow. Please stay in Cincinnati. I don't want you anywhere near here. I'm fairly liberal and have no problems with living in a place that is mostly conservative.

Last edited by g-man430; 05-27-2010 at 09:48 PM..

Old 05-27-2010, 11:09 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Apparently "artsy-bohemian vibe" equates to "liberal", which in turn supposedly equates to "progressive". Not so, in my opinion, but it obviously depends on one's definition of the word "progressive".

That said, in answer to the thread title, it would be difficult to credibly deny that Columbia is the most politically liberal city in the state.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:23 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan06 View Post
I've heard that Columbia is "surprisingly liberal" and the most liberal city in SC. From visiting Columbia and Charleston rather frequently, I would think Charleston to be far more liberal than Columbia (at least by SC standards). I did a little bit of research into voting trends, and politically speaking, Columbia is definitely more liberal than Charleston. From the artsy, bohemian vibe in some areas of Charleston, it seems like the area would be very liberal. Can someone please explain? I find it hard to believe and almost humorous to label Columbia as liberal (almost like labeling Cincinnati as liberal). BTW: I was surprised to find out Greenville and Rock Hill are as conservative as they are. I guess I'll have to cross those off my list.

FWIW: I'm not a flaming left-winger, althought I do lean a lot more to the left than right, I want a place that is more progessive-minded that Cincy.
Columbia is a fairly liberal city and very liberal by southeastern standards. It wouldn't be considered to be liberal by Northeast standards, but if you look at voting trends, inclusion of the gay and lesbian community in the political process and broad reaching anti-discrimination laws, I think Columbia is clearly the most inclusive city in South Carolina. To me that makes it the most liberal; others may have a different definition.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:38 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Here's an article from New Geography that I find intriguing. It talks about "progressive" versus "liberal" versus "conservative," and about how American cities outside the first tier that are often perceived as progressive have whiteness in common. The article says cities that learn to embrace what their African American populace brings to the table in the redevelopment of their urban cores will be tomorrow's stars of success and diversity. I must say it is giving me a warm feeling to see both black and white groups of people, and some groups with a mix of both, milling about Downtown Columbia more and more. Without a concerted effort by a city to bring all of its residents, no matter what their race, into the fold of its resurgent downtown, it won't reach its full potential. To me, full participation by all of a city's residents is a major mark of a progressiveness. In other words, if whites don't go running when blacks show up, you, the people, have got it going on.

The White City | Newgeography.com

Old 05-28-2010, 11:41 AM

17 posts, read 45,183 times
I lived in Columbia, SC for 15 years and I hated every minute of it. I've lived in 4 places in my life and Columbia, SC was by far the worst. The police are crooked, they pull you over, make up reasons for giving you tickets, lie to your face, the court, and there is nothing you can do about it. The education is horrible. I think that my I.Q. dropped by 20% when I lived there. A lot of people are stuck in the past and can't get past the civil war, plus the bible thumping goes on quite a bit. I ran into the most ignorant, vulgar, and close-minded people that I have ever known. It is number 3 in violent crime and number 10 in std's. I'm glad that I am gone.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:04 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRD021877 View Post
I lived in Columbia, SC for 15 years and I hated every minute of it. I've lived in 4 places in my life and Columbia, SC was by far the worst. The police are crooked, they pull you over, make up reasons for giving you tickets, lie to your face, the court, and there is nothing you can do about it. The education is horrible. I think that my I.Q. dropped by 20% when I lived there. A lot of people are stuck in the past and can't get past the civil war, plus the bible thumping goes on quite a bit. I ran into the most ignorant, vulgar, and close-minded people that I have ever known. It is number 3 in violent crime and number 10 in std's. I'm glad that I am gone.
And what would any of this have to do with Columbia being or not being a liberal city?

Old 05-31-2010, 09:57 AM

131 posts, read 307,392 times
Red face Well

NRD, you do have a point and I'm with you on most of it.

Basically, if you want "liberal" then you shouldn't move to SC. I consider myself more on the liberal side and my husband and I are planning to move out of the state in the Spring. I've lived here my entire life (I'm 25) but as I have grown I have found that there is absolutely no place for me here. I'm not religious, I'm not conservative, I'm nowhere near what my family expects as a "good southern girl." I live in Columbia and I do agree that it is more liberal than other areas (having lived all around the state). Personally throughout my life here I have seen a lot of racism, a lot of judgmental practices, a lot of hypocrisy. Every state has it's problems though and a lot of them can be found everywhere. I'm sure some people won't agree, but I've lived here my entire life and have no reason to sugar coat it. Anyway, that is my 2 cent, take it or leave it!!

Old 06-06-2010, 07:44 PM

83 posts, read 276,336 times
SC isn't Liberal and we don't need Liberals infesting the place. I moved here to get away from them.

There are enough States for everyone, so do not move here. I like it because it's cheap to live here and people mind their own business. SC doesn't need change, but it and the rest of the US need people to move where there are concentrations of like-minded folks so everyone can be happy.

If you want a nice city that is cosmopolitan, very Liberal, and pleasant to live in I suggest Seattle.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:51 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rophlmao View Post
SC isn't Liberal and we don't need Liberals infesting the place. I moved here to get away from them.

There are enough States for everyone, so do not move here. I like it because it's cheap to live here and people mind their own business. SC doesn't need change, but it and the rest of the US need people to move where there are concentrations of like-minded folks so everyone can be happy.

If you want a nice city that is cosmopolitan, very Liberal, and pleasant to live in I suggest Seattle.
Sorry buddy, there are already plenty of liberals here. Might I suggest Iran if you want to get away from us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area